Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone bought one of these greenhouses?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying one of these greenhouses.. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardening/1166503 .....and was wondering if anyone here had bought one and if so what they thought of them? I was also wondering about the way they are secured in the ground as my house is on a windy site? Any help would be truly appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ruffmut

I would not go for that one. I was going to buy one but a friend of mine bought a one and it blew out in the first strong wind. The frame is very light and is not sturdy when fully assembled. This would not suit an exposed site.

I have decided to go for a stronger one that has a shed frame with polycarbonate sheeting. Something to the lines of the below link but made by a different company. (I have no attachment to the company linked)

http://steeltechsheds.com/uploads/brochures/Greenhouses%20(2).pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

ruffmut wrote: »
    I would not go for that one. I was going to buy one but a friend of mine bought a one and it blew out in the first strong wind. The frame is very light and is not sturdy when fully assembled. This would not suit an exposed site.

I have decided to go for a stronger one that has a shed frame with polycarbonate sheeting. Something to the lines of the below link but made by a different company. (I have no attachment to the company linked)

Thanks ruffmut, my site is extremely exposed so I think your advice is very timely as I was to have made my mind up by tomorrow!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

they seem fairly expensive, would you not go for a polytunnel instead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Is that a glasshouse or a perspex shed? Looks like a real hotbox design, maybe too hot unless you can keep the door open during the day and make a window in the roof.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's too expensive. I was looking at greenhouses that would be suitable for an exposed site and the cheapest I could get was from about €1600 for an 6x8 glass house. As I have two young ones around I did not want glass. I was quoted more expensive price for a good polycarbonate one.

The one I have ordered is a 7x10. It is built on a galvanised steel frame with polycarbonate sheeting. It will have a vent on one side wall and a sliding door on front and will be bolted down to a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Caddyman wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying one of these greenhouses.. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardening/1166503 .....and was wondering if anyone here had bought one and if so what they thought of them? I was also wondering about the way they are secured in the ground as my house is on a windy site? Any help would be truly appreciated!:confused:

Hi caddyman i have one of those i got it about a month or so ago.It was a night mare to put together and i have had 3 panels blow out of iti sealed each panel and still im not sure. Each morning i open the blinds file:///C:/Users/shane/Downloads/Greenhouse.jpgvery slowley to see if its still standing. Today i have bought 2x2 wood and am building a frame on the inside and will screw the frame and panelsto the wooden frame. I know its work that shouldnt be done but i bought it for less than 500 for a 8x12 so im thinking once its screwed to a wooden frame all should be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

wexford12 wrote: »
    Hi caddyman i have one of those i got it about a month or so ago.It was a night mare to put together and i have had 3 panels blow out of iti sealed each panel and still im not sure. Each morning i open the blinds file:///C:/Users/shane/Downloads/Greenhouse.jpgvery slowley to see if its still standing. Today i have bought 2x2 wood and am building a frame on the inside and will screw the frame and panelsto the wooden frame. I know its work that shouldnt be done but i bought it for less than 500 for a 8x12 so im thinking once its screwed to a wooden frame all should be well.

is the blowing out of the panels caused by the wind "bellying" in the centre of the panel and then it just pops out of its slot. if it is try putting a timber across the inside of the panel to reduce the "bellying" effect.
    how are you holding this to the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Bought one of these a few years ago - it wasn't cheap - absolute nightmare. Would estimate that I spent over 12 hours assembling it which basically took a full weekend.
    On the first real windy day, got home from work and half the panels had blown out. Was too wet to go fixing it that evening so got back from work the next day and the other half were blown out.
    For the (short) time we were using it, it seemed to be way too hot - most of the stuff we were trying to grow we ended up moving out of the greenhouse as the plants were just getting scorched.
    Ended up dumping it in a skip a few months later - waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

A guy down the road from me has made a great looking lean-to greenhouse out of reclaimed windows and timber. It looked weird until he had them all painted the same colour, but now it looks like a professional job. I don't know him at all (he keeps to himself), so I cant't take a picture.

• Advertisement

sponge_bob wrote: »
    they seem fairly expensive, would you not go for a polytunnel instead?

Anything I've read about polytunnels leads me to think that plants would get scorched as they don't have openings! Is that right?

wexford12 wrote: »

Thanks for the info wexford but it all sounds like too much trouble for me!
    I think with the severe wind that my site gets I will have to consider ruffmut's suggestion of a steel shed. I hope the 2x2's work out!;)

Bought one of these a few years ago - it wasn't cheap - absolute nightmare. Would estimate that I spent over 12 hours assembling it which basically took a full weekend.
    On the first real windy day, got home from work and half the panels had blown out. Was too wet to go fixing it that evening so got back from work the next day and the other half were blown out.
    For the (short) time we were using it, it seemed to be way too hot - most of the stuff we were trying to grow we ended up moving out of the greenhouse as the plants were just getting scorched.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe black francis. I think thats my mind made up on the steelshed/greenhouse as that would drive me crazy! Thanks for sharing your story, its been a great help!

I don't think it's too expensive. I was looking at greenhouses that would be suitable for an exposed site and the cheapest I could get was from about €1600 for an 6x8 glass house. As I have two young ones around I did not want glass. I was quoted more expensive price for a good polycarbonate one.

The one I have ordered is a 7x10. It is built on a galvanised steel frame with polycarbonate sheeting. It will have a vent on one side wall and a sliding door on front and will be bolted down to a slab.

Thanks for the info ruffmut its been invaluable!
    I rang the people selling the greenhouse I was almost going to buy to say I had taken advice not to purchase the type they were selling as my site was very exposed and they said it would need to be concreted in to make sure it didn't blow away! Sounded like they were aware of a problem with exposed sites and in fairness they probably would be ok in a sheltered site but judging by the replies here those sheltered sites are few and far between on this Island Nation of ours!
    I would be interested in finding out more about the shed you have ordered as a sliding door would save someones fingers as well as being easy to leave open slightly and the side opening I guess is a must as well, probably sliding also I presume? Can you divulge the price and are they assembling it on site or does it come on the back of a lorry?

Caddyman wrote: »
    Thanks for the info ruffmut its been invaluable!
    I rang the people selling the greenhouse I was almost going to buy to say I had taken advice not to purchase the type they were selling as my site was very exposed and they said it would need to be concreted in to make sure it didn't blow away! Sounded like they were aware of a problem with exposed sites and in fairness they probably would be ok in a sheltered site but judging by the replies here those sheltered sites are few and far between on this Island Nation of ours!
    I would be interested in finding out more about the shed you have ordered as a sliding door would save someones fingers as well as being easy to leave open slightly and the side opening I guess is a must as well, probably sliding also I presume? Can you divulge the price and are they assembling it on site or does it come on the back of a lorry?

I have ordered it off a company here in Tralee. The vent in the side wall is on hinges and will open inwards. I wanted a sliding door as if it gets too hot I can open it a bit and not be afraid of it slamming shut if it was on hinges. I have my slab down and it will come delivered and erected for €1200. If you want I can pm the contact details later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Like like to hear updates from time to time

I have ordered it off a company here in Tralee. The vent in the side wall is on hinges and will open inwards. I wanted a sliding door as if it gets too hot I can open it a bit and not be afraid of it slamming shut if it was on hinges. I have my slab down and it will come delivered and erected for €1200. If you want I can pm the contact details later.

Thanks ruffmut but as I am in Monaghan they will hardly be interested in me:mad: I will however contact a local company that I have done biz with before (they make gates/sheds/trailers etc and see if they can do one for me) and if I have any luck I will post the details here.;)

Thanks everyone for your valuable input and watch this space for the outcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

sponge_bob wrote: »
    is the blowing out of the panels caused by the wind "bellying" in the centre of the panel and then it just pops out of its slot. if it is try putting a timber across the inside of the panel to reduce the "bellying" effect.
    how are you holding this to the ground?

That is what was happening and yes i have now put 2x2 wood all around the inside of the greenhouse and its a great job.I have screwed the panels and sides/roof to the wood and there is not a move out of it.Having said that it shouldnt have to be done and now that i have built the frame inside a frame lol i should of just built one myself from wood and perspex..I will put up a photo to show the wooden frame if anyone wants

Oh i have it screwed to the wooden base and it came with metal spikes which are also about a foot into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Don Q

HELLO Ruffmut,

I have also been interested by the steel sheds as i live by the sea and need strength and protection in my choice of green house. When you say "slab" did you put a concrete base in yourself? Could i ask you to expand a little. Also is your steel/greenhouse galvanised? Salt eats everything here.
    with thanks.

Don Q wrote: »
    HELLO Ruffmut,

I have also been interested by the steel sheds as i live by the sea and need strength and protection in my choice of green house. When you say "slab" did you put a concrete base in yourself? Could i ask you to expand a little. Also is your steel/greenhouse galvanised? Salt eats everything here.
    with thanks.

Hello Don Q,

Yes we put down a 8 x 12ft concrete base down first. I am waiting delivery on the green house and should have it next week. The frame is fully galvanised steel. When I have it I will take a few photo's and put them up to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

same. bought it. erected frame using an experienced conservatory builder, thing was smashed to pieces w wind that night. dumped in skip. the company would not accept liability as the product was totally unfit. waste of money avoid... they also wanted to charge me for removing their cheap tat in a heap off my garden...
    http://www.waltongardenproducts.ie/gardman-polycarbonate-greenhouses

You should put a review on the site, if they'll allow it!

I am just back from a local steelworks where I was told by a gardener to call and he had a greenhouse waiting for a client to collect sitting in the yard. This is made from a galvanized steel frame with polycarbonate sheeting. this particular one is 6'6" X 9'10" and has a door at one end and a drop down window at the other end. Price is €700 which I think is very good!!

I am going to request the window be set up differently so that it will open out from the bottom and so won't let in water. Other than that I am happy with it!
    Took the photo from my phone so its not the best!

I don't know a lot about greenhouses but I just look at that thing and think 700 euro!? Is this a metal fabricator moonlighting as a greenhouse builder? I think there is more to a greenhouse than just a sturdy box with transparent sides, especially for 700 euro. You could build your own polytunnel, much bigger for about 200. Sorry to be negative but this just looks wrong to me

Don't know why I suggested a DIY tunnel when you have 700 to spend. Check out polydome.ie and give them a ring and ask what 700 will buy you. You should get a great tunnel, much bigger than that greenhouse, best of materials, indestructable and probably with extras like crop bars.

Hello Don Q,

Yes we put down a 8 x 12ft concrete base down first. I am waiting delivery on the green house and should have it next week. The frame is fully galvanised steel. When I have it I will take a few photo's and put them up to see.

Hello Ruffmut, was wondering how you got on with said greenhouse? Ihave been away for some time. Back now and eager to get something up and planted etc. interested to hear your experience. thanks.

I got the greenhouse installed. There was a slight design change in that there is no sliding door now. It was put on centre also, so this will allow me to have raised beds on both sides.

I don't have much growing this year as I was late in gettin it this year. I have 3 tomato plants, 1 Cucumber, 1 pepper and lettuce.

Attached are some pictures.

I got the greenhouse installed. There was a slight design change in that there is no sliding door now. It was put on centre also, so this will allow me to have raised beds on both sides.

I don't have much growing this year as I was late in gettin it this year. I have 3 tomato plants, 1 Cucumber, 1 pepper and lettuce.

Attached are some pictures.

Good to hear. It certainly looks the business. Sturdy, height easy to clean and will take knock or two. Are you happy so far ......any do,s or donts regards the process.....were they a good crowd to deal with? I don't mind investing as long as it does what it says on the tin etc mmmmm cucumber and tomato plants. Lookin forward to the first harvest already. Thanks as ever again. Don Q.

I am very happy with it. Height is great with a full height door. If I was to do it again I would put an extra vent on the opposite wall. The company was great to deal with although there was a four week delivery due to them being very busy at the time I ordered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement