Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Dublin history nuts out there?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi All,

I am new to the area of Castleknock. Myself and my better half were out for a walk the other evening and came across a small row of cottages on a road called the sand pits directly opposite the cottages there was an entrance into what looked to be a wooded walk way along a small river (definitely not the liffey), we ventured in and walked along a well worn dirt track admiring the woodland and nature around us. After a while we decided to turn back as it looked like the land may actually be private property.
    It was a pitty as the we saw a vast amount of wild life about the place and would have loved to see where it eventually lead to.

Anyway after turning back to the cottages we continued our walk around eventually passing by Castleknock golf club.

I’m guessing the land up around the sand pits and the cottages there were part of an old quarry maybe?
    Is there a national archive resource were you can get this kind of public information.
    If not does any one have any interesting history on that particular area Sand Pits, Strawberry Beds, Castleknock?
    I know I’m asking a lot here but thanks in advance for any gems of information you may share.

Regards.

Rabb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

might be worth checking out the historic OSI maps - this looks to be the correct area : http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,707994,736437,7,9

The the 6" maps are the 1st edition from 1820/1840 and 25" maps are from c1890

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Might be useful to also put this on the Dublin15 forum. I've seen some local history discussion there. Looking at the map, there seems to have been a lot of gravel pits and quarry in that area.

Possibly the Guinness family owned the land at the time? Their land holdings would have been much larger than the present day Farmleigh grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Sandpitts Cottages were built by the Guinness family for Farmleigh employees, according to this: http://www.fingaldublin.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Brochures/Heritage_Guide.pdf

Other families did have lands around there like Luttrells etc. Sure to some local experts on boards, somewhere...

Advertisement