Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Male Kegel Exercise Routine?

• 23-05-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi guys,

Does anyone here do Kegel exercises? I'm doing them at the moment as I want to strengthen my PC muscles.

My routine is to do one set of a certain number of reps once a day (I'm at 40 reps at the moment) and hold each rep for 3-4 seconds. Also whenever I need to use the toilet cubicle I use it as my reminder to perform the same number of reps, but rapidly rather than holding it. I like to hold my hand on my abdomen when doing it to ensure I'm tensing the PC and not my abdomen muscles.

I have read about over exercise being a bad thing (just like any muscle exercise) and various routines being bandied around as being best, so thought I'd see what other guys were doing.

Mods: Seeing as this is just a muscle exercise I think it shouldn't contravene the "no medical advice" rule. Also I think this forum is better than the Fitness forum as I'm specifically asking about male kegel exercises. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ive no idea what kegel or pc is... But if your looking to increase strenght or muscle growth, 3 sets, 8 to 12 reps per set. Doing the same exercise can stiffle developement aswell. And you need to have rests days for the muscles to build up after exercising.

Other then that, fitness forum would prob get you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

OP how long have you been doing them for? Are they working for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi Drakovich, that's what I was thinking, treat it like any old muscle.

This explains what it is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise

Dub12Dave, I have been doing it for about a month or so. My motivation for doing them is as one approach to solving some psychological erectile dysfunction issues I have been having. Before anyone asks, I have sought full medical advice by visiting my GP and having a full medical and chat on the issue but wanted to try other things such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and this.

From that point of view it has seemed to have helped. One of the many advantages of these exercises is increased blood flow to the penis. This is not a baseless claim, medical white papers have been written on this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8699493

From that end I think it has helped, even if it is just a placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

CBT has a great record for this kind of problem as too does Hypnotherapy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi super, been spending a while waiting for that to load up on me phone alright. Hmmm, wouldnt be entirlly too sure on my post earlier now looking back.

Didnt really seem to see anything there that explained much of what a bloke woulf have to do. But it would possibly be the same idea. As its not muscle development but efficiency you may be looking at, you can do upto 20 reps a set.

Edit:
    Im honestly not too sure if this is something they could anwser in the fitness.forum either.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I've been doing them for over 6 months. I basically just do one or two hundered reps (holding for about 1/2 seconds) every morning.

There was a good routine on the askmen.com

Also, this site is helpful: http://www.kegelexercisesformen.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not being one for fitness or muscle development, how would you know if your using the right muscle?

It's the same muscle you use when you pee. Next time you take a piss try stopping the flow.

You can also do pelvic floor exercises. If you lie (on your back) on the floor with your knees bent (~90 degrees) and feet shoulder with apart, you then lift your pelvis forward. You use the same muscle (and probably others with this one) to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Push ups... no hands?

• Advertisement

The link I put up earlier was a paper on Kegel for premature ejaculation.

Here's the one on ED:

http://assoalhopel.dominiotemporario.com/doc/Pelvic_floor_exercises_for_erectile.pdf

18AD, have you noticed any improvements in what you're trying to achieve?

Yeah. I haven't been trying to remedy anything, just for self-improvement purposes.

The book that prompted me was The Multi-Orgasmic Man by Mantak Chia.

But the kegel exercises were key in starting the whole process. They have improved my general sexual awareness among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Am I the only one that finds that whole concept pointless? Is the aim to stop premature ejaculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Am I the only one that finds that whole concept pointless? Is the aim to stop premature ejaculation?

Partly, but also:
    Kegel workouts can provide men with stronger erections.[9] Research published in 2005 issue of BJU International, have shown that pelvic floor exercises could help restore erectile function in men with erectile dysfunction.[11] There are said to be significant benefits for the problem of premature ejaculation from having more muscular control of the pelvis.[12] It is also possible that strengthening the pelvic floor may allow some men to achieve a form of orgasm without allowing ejaculation, and thereby perhaps reach multiple "climaxes" during sexual activity.[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Kegels are immense. That is all.

Doing 50 squeeze, hold and releases now. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JullieWalles

This exercises are too important for all especially in the middle age. My husband had problems with his "man strength", but we together find amazing thing - kegel exerciser, probably here SNIP Recomended guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This exercises are too important for all especially in the middle age. My husband had problems with his "man strength", but we together find amazing thing - kegel exerciser, probably here SNIP Recomended guys!
    That wouldn't be your own website now, would it? No. Of course not. Silly me...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

f5f21cab037716548a4d055ad1355768.jpg

:pac:

yep, for bringing up a zombie thread and spamming JullieWalles permanently banned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement