Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started in Film Photography

• 23-05-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need some advice, I'm going to college in a few months, to study cinematography. The head of the course told me at the interview it would be beneficial for me to get used to using film cameras before I start.

I've done a bit of research myself already, but I really am lost as to where to start. I have a 400D with the kit lens and a 50mm 1.8, but I know nothing about film cameras.

He told me to get a Canon, and atleast 28mm and 85mm lenses. I was looking getting a Canon A1 like this: http://www.adverts.ie/film-cameras/canon-a-1-body-canon-fd-50mm-f1-8-lens/534024 But really only because I love old cameras ( although I've yet to own one) and because it's cheap.

Would it be worth it getting something like that, or would it be better to get a newer film SLR? Something like this: http://www.adverts.ie/film-cameras/canon-eos-1000f-35mm-film-camera/611571

And with regards to lenses am I right in saying that it is the FD lenses that fit on Canon film cameras?

Thank you and any help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

that canon is a good camera, i've one myself, a tank, its not really that old in the grand scheme of things so don't worry about that and believe me once you're into film you'll get cameras older then your Mam.....

I'd recommend the canon over the newer one because it doesn't have a auto setting and you'll really learn because theres no lazy options.

I'd recommend the 50mm 1.8mm lens for it its what i have but you might want something new what with you already having that lens on your dslr. the other lens sound good too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

roguey wrote: »

And with regards to lenses am I right in saying that it is the FD lenses that fit on Canon film cameras?

your eos lenses will fit on eos film cameras, FD lenses won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Get a newer Canon, that way your 50mm 1.8 will fit on it. Get an Eos 1 or 5. Don't pay any more than €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The best piece of advice I can give you is for the most part avoid shopping for film cameras on adverts.ie because the asking prices are absolutely off the scale... I don't know where the sellers come up with these asking prices.

The Canon EOS 1000f can be purchased from eBay.co.uk for under £23 (GBP) (£7.99 for the camera + £14.99 for postage). It's a fairly small basic model.

I'd recommend looking for something like an EOS-5 which can be got in top nick for about £25 - £50 (GBP) ex postage on eBay.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

jpb1974 wrote: »
    The best piece of advice I can give you is for the most part avoid shopping for film cameras on adverts.ie because the asking prices are absolutely off the scale... I don't know where the sellers come up with these asking prices.

The Canon EOS 1000f can be purchased from eBay.co.uk for under £23 (GBP) (£7.99 for the camera + £14.99 for postage). It's a fairly small basic model.

I'd recommend looking for something like an EOS-5 which can be got in top nick for about £25 - £50 (GBP) ex postage on eBay.co.uk

I can't speak for everyone on adverts but a lot of what I see and do myself when selling is put the price higher than id accept. You get a lot of jokers on adverts offering you far less then what you want.

To OP if you're only getting the camera for college id say get an EOS camera so you can use the lenses you have now. I'm afraid I don't know what EOS cameras are good though as I've never used them.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Most of the time, you can drop about 40% off of Adverts.ie prices on camera gear. It's fairly rare that something goes for the asking price, unless it's very well priced or sought after.

OP, if you already have a DSLR and know the ins and outs, I'd nearly suggest skipping the 35mm SLR and go straight for a medium format camera. Have a look at Mamiya 645 outfits, or Yashica TLR's to start. You'll really see the difference in quality and tone between the files from your 400D and the medium format film.

The only real advantage 35mm has (IMO!) is its size and up to 36 photographs on a roll, compared to 16 on a roll of 120 - and you've already got a nice small DSLR, and you can fit a couple of hundred photographs on a memory card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I still wouldn't pay €78 for a €15 camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I don't know where the sellers come up with these asking prices.

"It must to be worth at least 75% what I paid for the camera in 1998".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The only real advantage 35mm has (IMO!) is its size and up to 36 photographs on a roll, compared to 16 on a roll of 120
    35mm also has cost and ubiquity going for it too. much easier to get 35mm scanned than 120.

Advertisement