Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new bike: Not sure what to choose

• 23-05-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently decided to get a new bike and get back into cycling. A bit stuck as to what to get though.

A friend recommended the Chain Reactions website, but there seems to be a good few different types of bikes to choose from.

I will primarily be using it on city and roads, but don't want it to fall apart if I hit the odd pothole by accident. But I don't know the differences between, say, a "cruiser" a "hard tail" a "city hybrid" and a "road bike".

Any help or references to resources where I could figure them out would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Unless your going off road then a road bike will do fine, you won't have an issue with potholes.

Dont limit to crc, try wiggle, ribble and there are plenty others. Whats your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Unless your going off road then a road bike will do fine, you won't have an issue with potholes.

Dont limit to crc, try wiggle, ribble and there are plenty others. Whats your budget?

Ideally I was looking for something around the 3-400 euro mark. The road bikes on chain reactions seem quite expensive, with the cheapest being 500, but maybe that's typical. Will give the others a shot too.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You should take a look at Adverts.ie and the buy and sell section on here if you don't mind buying second hand.
    Have a look at the likes of the Giant Defy and Trek 1.2

You should be able to find both in great order for your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Morbert wrote: »
    Ideally I was looking for something around the 3-400 euro mark. The road bikes on chain reactions seem quite expensive, with the cheapest being 500, but maybe that's typical. Will give the others a shot too.

Thanks
    if your looking for something that cheep your best bet is halfords they do some good bikes for around that price and you wont do better anywhere else - halfords are just lacking in high end stuff but if your talking around 400 you should find the bike there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Cool thanks for the info.

Last question: Are there any brands I should look for/avoid? I've heard giant and cube are good. Halfords are selling a Carerra road bike for 350. Is that too good to be true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Morbert wrote: »
    Cool thanks for the info.

Last question: Are there any brands I should look for/avoid? I've heard giant and cube are good. Halfords are selling a Carerra road bike for 350. Is that too good to be true?
    Apparently it is too good to be true. €374.99

Advertisement