Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implications of being referred through psych services?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I finally saw my doctor today about ongoing feelings of depression, anxiety, hopelessness and low confidence (I was diagnosed with MS four years ago and saw a psychotherapist privately at that time to try and ensure I was handling it, psychologically and emotionally; that was somewhat useful, but only to a point.) I'm tending to view my life as pre-diagnosis and post-diagnosis...it has pretty much been going on a downward spiral since diagnosis, aside from brief interludes, but things have been getting particularly bad since becoming unemployed in November.

I was hoping to be referred for CBT, as I have a medical card and don't know how I could afford it otherwise. He said any referral he'd make would have to go through psych services and therefore be on my file and asked if I was okay with that. My response was that I can't go on the way I have been and if it would need to go on my record, so be it. He's going to enquire and I'll be in touch with him in two days, before that though, I'd like to know if anyone can shed any light on the possible implications of this being on my record? Might it be better to see if a family member could lend me the money to do it privately or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was diagnosed with MS in 2001 and know where you are coming for. Can't see what your dr is trying to imply. Is there a suggestion of a "stigma"?If so , I'd not be too taken with the gp.If it helps, go for it and get the help you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

Thanks for your reply byhookorbycrook. He mentioned as an example that insurance companies might seek the info and might not be very enlightened, that there is unfortunately still a stigma attached to having such a thing on file...I presume this might mean a higher premium or something, but I didn't really clarify at the time what, if any, other implications there might be. He was supportive generally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Might be worth ringing the MS society as they have an excellent helpline for people with MS

Advertisement