Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food for a mini terrier

• 23-05-2011 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some ideas on what to feed my terrier, he's very active, currently feeding him dry pedig.chum. He's doing great on the food but I wouldn't mind getting something better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Look at brands such as James Wellbeloved, Burns, Land of Holistic Pets, Royal Canin and Orijen. There's also Red Mills leader Supreme, avoid Red Mills Star (yellow bag) or Winner (blue bag), Leader (green bag) is much better quality than Star or Winner. In general avoid anything with pretty coloured biscuits (like pedigree with it's orange and green bits) and with animal & meat derivatives as it's first ingredient.

It's hit and miss, each dog is different and some of the brands I mentioned above do not agree with some dogs while other dogs do brilliant on them. Just change over gradually (decreasing old food while increasing new food over 2 weeks or so) and keep an eye on his general health (coat condition, stools (quantity, colour and consistency :P), activity level and weight) and you'l find a food he does well on. Just have a look at the recommended daily allowance when you change as you'l find you'l have to feed less of the better quality brands I mentioned above than pedigree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Good advise above I was fostering a small terrier and had him on the royal canine mini he did great on it and the nuts were smaller than average which was perfect for his little mouth. Buy a small bag first to see of the new food agrees with him before buying the bigger bags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have 2 little ladies under 6kg and one about 10kg, they are fed burns high oats and are doing brilliantly. I got 2 15kg bags for 60euro on zoo plus and it has lasted me 3 months so far with at least another month left.

Before that they were on royal canin mini which they did great on also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 honeybunny.ie

Hi
    My little gourmet likes Applaws- it's an all natural ingredients wet food- mainly chicken with rice, veggies and some cans have tuna or beef liver in them too. Otherwise she gets James Wellbeloved pouches. She doesn't touch dry food so I don't have a good tip there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hi
    My little gourmet likes Applaws- it's an all natural ingredients wet food- mainly chicken with rice, veggies and some cans have tuna or beef liver in them too. Otherwise she gets James Wellbeloved pouches. She doesn't touch dry food so I don't have a good tip there...

Applaws is good except it's not a complete food so can't be fed on it's own over a long period as it doesn't contain the correct balance of nutrients. I used to mix it in with my dog's food a while ago when he was very fussy but I used to find it very expensive for what it actually is, essentially just shredded chicken and rice in broth with some veg added. You could probably make some up yourself just by boiling some chicken, rice, veg and not pouring out the cooking water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 honeybunny.ie

Thanks for this Zapperzy, I must look into this! In saying that we do feed her a variety not Applaws only (phew) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulcos

My friend is a dog groomer and she advises all her clients to steer of pedigree chum because in her opinion it is very bad. she maintains that she can spot the dogs that are fed on it when the come in my demeaner and appearance. SHE IS VERY EXPERIENCED AND I TRUST HER OPINION

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I use Royal Canin Mini Adult 27 for my Jack Russell, no complaints here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thanks all (Dogfood for thought!)

Advertisement