Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy drive power cable question

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I want to install this USB 3.0 card in my computer. As you can see in the picture, it has a connection for a 4 pin floppy drive connector on the end of it. I haven't installed a PCI card before but it sounds relatively straightforward. I do have one question though.

I assumed that the power connection should be connected to the PSU but then I spotted a few similar connectors on the motherboard so i'm not sure where I should connect it to. I haven't opened the case yet but I can see through the viewing panel that there are some cables with molex connections coming from the PSU but i cant spot a floppy drive one - will i need an adapter for one of these or will i need a cable to connect it to the motherboard?

The board is an intel DP55KG and as far as i know the PSU came with the case, an Antec 900

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Anybody? didn't think this would be a hard question for you lot! I'll try get a few photos up if that would help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yep, photos would be good because the pic doesn't work.

XDdWv.jpg

I fixed the link there. This is the card - I'm fairly sure thats a floppy power connector not a 4 pin molex conector because the pins are flat. I'll try get some photos of the actual card later but that seems to be the right model on the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Its really hard to see the board in that picture but the USB 3.0 board should have enough power from the motherboard to run.

Heres the card:

1nMbn.jpg

And heres the connector on the motherboard:

86TYP.jpg

the packaging says:
    • More power at the connector, max. 900mA
    • Built-in 4-pin power connector for receiving extra power supply from system

I do want the extra power at the ports for charging my phone and because it would be silly not to instal it correctly. My question is if i should connect the 4 pin connector on the card to the one on the motherboard or if it should be connected to the PSU.

I don't have a floppy drive and AFAIK the board doesn't even have a floppy drive controller so that connector is more than likely there for power (its also beside the PCI slots although there is another one beside the RAM). When I open the case I will check if there is a suitable cable coming from the PSU (but I can't see one through the perspex). I know I will need to buy *something* but I don't know if i need an adapter for one of the cables from the PSU or if i need a cable to connect the 4pin connectors together. Would this cable be available in somewhere like peats?

A simpler way of asking the question might be, where would i connect the power if i wanted to install a flopy drive (ignoring the fact that the mobo can't take one :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

The 4 pin connector on the motherboard is for connecting Fans Only

Here's a link to your motherboard manual http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18129/eng/DP55KG_TechProdSpec.pdf

See page 11 for a board diagram

What make / model is your power supply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

ninja 12 wrote: »
    The 4 pin connector on the motherboard is for connecting Fans Only
    What make / model is your power supply ?
    This.

If your psu dosen't have a floppy power connector you will need one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molex-Floppy-Drive-Power-Cable/dp/B001R07FDW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306315312&sr=8-4

Advertisement