Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cooking achievement?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have always loved cooking and baking, but over the last few months have spent more time researching recipes and making a lot of new things from scratch.

Last week, I made a korma and aloo ghobi from scratch. I was well pleased with the flavours. I have also recently started getting into gravy and sauces- I made a pepper sauce the other day and had yummy chicken gravy earlier.

I love creating and I love eating so cooking really suits me! Just wondering what is the BEST thing you've ever cooked/ baked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For a friends 40th birthday, I made my first beef wellington. Enough fillet of beef to feed 8 surrounded with a little pate de fois from a jar, a duxelle of mushrooms, crepes to prevent the puff pastry from getting soggy. Then a sauce that took days to cook - a beef stock from veal bones, then a veal jus, then a madeira sauce. The beef was picture perfect, rare and pink.

Oysters and champagne starter and a chocolate dessert but the beef was the star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Minder wrote: »
    For a friends 40th birthday, I made my first beef wellington. Enough fillet of beef to feed 8 surrounded with a little pate de fois from a jar, a duxelle of mushrooms, crepes to prevent the puff pastry from getting soggy. Then a sauce that took days to cook - a beef stock from veal bones, then a veal jus, then a madeira sauce. The beef was picture perfect, rare and pink.

Oysters and champagne starter and a chocolate dessert but the beef was the star.

Wow!! Sounds amazing. Come Dine With Me often inspires me, and beef wellington is something I've been dying to try. Now I have the gravy down, I think I'll try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For me it was probably a oxtail consommé with oxtail and beetroot won tons.
    Again it took me two days to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I get the most pleasure out of finding something that's really easy to make, but tastes really fantastic. Someone here posted a recipe for flatbreads, it had never dawned on me at all to think about how to make them. They're so easy to make - and people are unusually impressed by them. So I get real pleasure out of the simple tasty things, especially the dishes when you think 'why haven't I been doing this for years'?

Advertisement