Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sooo confused about college choices!!

• 23-05-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi:)
    Ok,so I have about a month left to fill out my CAO choices-it's not going well!I do have an idea of what I want to do,it's around the media and english/film area,but there are so many courses!

Another thing is,i'm really considering going to Galway-people tell me it's amazing!!But then Limerick looks pretty cool too!You'll prob all tell me I should go for the course and not the location,but I dont think I'd be able to live in a place I didn't like lol:)

So yeah,if anyone has advice on how I could come to terms with all this I'd really appreciate it!!The leaving cert and all these course choices are wrecking my buzz:(
    Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I understand what you're going through... COMPLETELY!!

I've been set on Dublin for a long time, I never liked the sound of the course in Limerick, and Cork is too far from home.

Galway, for me, was never an option, but lately I've been considering it. I'm from the county, so I wanted to get away for a long time.

But Galway is a beautiful city, there's always loads on, I think its a city where everyone can fit in in someway. Limerick is a city I do not know. :P

As for choosing a college 'for the course'...
    I think its more 60/40 course/area.
    A brilliant course in a city you don't feel comfortable in won't make student life all that fantastic. But a grand course in a city you like will be mad craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

bad_daze wrote: »
    Another thing is,i'm really considering going to Galway-people tell me it's amazing!!But then Limerick looks pretty cool too!

You'll end up having good craic no matter where you end up, so go for course before college!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bad_daze

Woo!It's great to find opinions from people who know all this stuff!:P
    Yeah,it's soo hard to decide what to do/where to go..how to know which course to pick!:LIt's very annoying!I prob should be looking at the course first but I'd just like to have some idea about the places I could end up,and what to expect:)

Btw I don't really know how to do the whole "originally posted by" thang,so ima just make this a general reply lool-new to boards:P
    Thanks for all the help though!If anyone has any more info on Galway or Limerick,i'd love to know!:)
    Peace!-Sophie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Generally all universities and the cities they are in are grand. Most people from where I'm from (Tralee bahh!) either go to Cork or Limerick, and I know a few in Dublin and Galway too.

Everyone loves Cork, the night life is meant to be great, and the campus is scarily close to the city centre! The only complaints I've heard, which probabaly won't affect you is that there is a large Tralee community there, which can take away from meeting new people!

As for Limerick, I'd hate to go there personally, but people generally like the place. It's a fair distance from the city centre, annoyingly far away. I think I got charged €22 or so for a taxi of 3 to UL from the centre in the middle of the day! But everything is on the one campus which is great. As in in Cork, the sports centre isn't on campus and I have a friend doing Architecture in Cork and he has to travel to almost the other side of the city from the main campus to all his lectures and all. Limerick is nice, but I just have a personal dislike for the place.

I havn't been in NUI Galway, but I know that it's meant to be great craic up there. I've heard many 'friend of a friend' stories about people going 'astray' up there and all that, but in general it's probably a great place.

UCD is meant to be good too, but I heard it can be hard to get to know people, as it is so big. It's pretty far from the city too.

Trinity is meant to be more fun then people think but acc is expensive, but it does have the best location of all the Uni's.

Don't know much about DCU. Nice campus and pretty close to town though.

And me, I chose Maynooth! I followed the course rather then the college. I mean i though it was a priest college and all my friends down here still do, well until I told them! I was there though and it's a great place, adn I'm looking forward to Sept!

Sorry for verring off point maybe. But yeahh! Most things I've only heard, so if you don't agree, don't eat the head off me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

I know people doing the english and new media course in UL and they like it.
    As for the college its class, top class facilities and whoever got charged 22 quid to get to the city was ripped off you can get there for alot less. Everything you need is on the college grounds and i hear the night life is unreal. Thats why i hope to be heading there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 bad_daze

Yaaay you guys are all really helping me!!:DThanks soo much for all the info!!I was act thinking about Maynooth too:PI'm really fickle :L
    I don't have much time left but hopefully i'll be able to figure it out!Ooo you're in Maynooth?I heard the college is really really cool,what about events and that kinda thing?Sorry,I must be sooo annoying :L

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

bad_daze wrote: »
    Ooo you're in Maynooth?I heard the college is really really cool,what about events and that kinda thing?

haha sorry if I mislead you, not there yet, but hopefully will be in September :rolleyes: I was at the open day, it seems to be a really awesome place. Quiet but only 30mins from Dublin. As for events and all i know there's like 100 clubs and societies and a music fest every year. .the website will tell yuo more!

Advertisement