Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused over the particulars of BTEA & maintenance grants

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I know I wont be eligable for both BTEA and the maintenance grant. I am hoping to get the BTEA, but from looking on citizens information website it says I could still get the student service charge and fees covered. I'm confused as on another part of the website it states there is a possibility of a 50% reduction.

Does anybody know of the particulars, If i get BTEA then can I get the student service charge and other fees covered?

If so when am I supposed to apply, I don't want to leave i to late.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

CylonYoda wrote: »
    Does anybody know of the particulars, If i get BTEA then can I get the student service charge and other fees covered?

If so when am I supposed to apply, I don't want to leave i to late.

Thanks for any help.

If you are in receipt of BTEA you will not be eligible for the Maintenance portion of the grant, i.e that bit that you would receive directly to assist with the costs of education.

The other portion of the grant that you would be eligible for despite your BTEA status is the Student Contribution, previously the Student Services Charge. Currently this stands at around €1500 for 3rd level courses. To have this portion covered you need to apply for the grant as normal. If you satisfy the means test your SC will be paid to the college on your behalf but as you are a BTEA student you wont get the maintenance portion.

Applications for the Grant /Student Contribution usually open in June. Forms can be downloaded from the relevant VEC /Co. Council website or from http://www.studentfinance.ie

Free fees are available at present for your first shot at higher education. So if you have not previously studied at the same level that you are now applying for then your fees should be covered. This is subject to the course being recognised by the DES and that the residency conditions are met.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement