Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new high spec rig

Options
  • 23-05-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Building a new rig in about a fortnights time. Will post build log and pictures when it's completed.

Spec:
    Corsair 1200W Power Supply
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair Dominator GT 12GB DDR3 2000Mhz
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    2x EVGA GTX 580 Super Clocked
    Intel Core i7 970 Six Core
    Sony DVD Writer
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Soundcard
    Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
    2TB Green Drive
    12x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans
    3x Noctua NF-P14 FLX
    Laing D5 Vario Pump
    2x GTX 580 Waterblock
    6x Hose Clamp
    8x Bitspower 45 Degree Fitting
    6x Bitspower Straight Fitting
    XSPC 360 Radiator
    XSPC 480 Radiator
    EK-Supreme HF Full Nickel Universal CPU Block
    GTX Cover Single Slot
    Silver Anti Algae Kill Coil
    XSPC Dual Reservoir for Laing D5
    Tygon 19.1/12.7mm Antimicrobial Silver Tubing
    3x 24" BenQ XL2410T LED, 3D, 120Hz Monitor
    Dell 24" P2411H
    2x Arctic Silver 5
    Logitech G9X
    Logitech Webcam C910
    Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard
    SteelSeries SteelPad QCK Heavy
    NZXT Sentry LXE
    Sennheiser PC 360 Gaming Headset
    SLx Gold 28035R
    SLx Gold 28037R
    2x BitFenix fan cable extension 90cm
    BitFenix fan cable extension 60cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Similar to my rig. Might I ask though, why have you gone with the overly-expensive six-core processor instead of a 2600K?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Good question and something I've debated a good bit over. I think the six-core has become more viable given the reduction in price. Granted it doesn't overclock as well as the 2600K I think, although the more expensive option, it's worth it

Personally, I'd get the 2600K. Nothing really uses a hexa-core yet, and I doubt it will for a year or two. By the way, you have twelve fittings listed, but only six clamps. Are some of them compression or something?

I have added an extra type of each fitting (all compression) just incase (first time watercooling), the clamps are also a precaution incase I have to use a standard fitting for something

Tip:

Install your watercooling loop as you would. Right before you start filling the loop, take everything out, and sit it on a desk or something, with the power connected. Fill, leak test, and bleed it outside of the case. It takes more work there and then, but believe me when I say you'll save yourself a lot of annoyance (and swearing. :P).

• Advertisement

What I was planning on doing is setting it up as you suggested, cleaning the components through with distilled water until no residue remains, setup loop outside case, leak test for 24 hr, re-setup inside case and leak test for another 24 hour

You can get rid of a 24-hour stint by not removing any of the connections when you take it out of the case. It's tricky to do, but as long as none of the connections come off, you're fine.

As regards rinsing, I'd recommend doing it with all of your components anyway, but the only one you reall have to pay attention to is the radiator. 99% of the time all the other components are perfectly fine.

Thanks for the tip.

Yeah gonna give a quick rinse to all and a thorough rinse to rads.

Can you recommend somewhere to pick up large quantities of distilled water?

You'll probably need around 2-2.5L of water. I just wandered into my local chemist and asked if they had any. they sold me a 5L bottle for €5.60.

If you don't want to pay for it, or if you're just topping off your rig, you can make your own.

Get the biggest pot you have, and half fill it with water.
    Get a bowl, and stick it in the pot. Make sure it floats.
    Get the lid of the pot, and put it upside-down on the top.
    Fill the lid with ice, and turn on the cooker to boild the water.

Water boils, evaporates, hits the lid filled with ice, condenses, drips from the lid into the bowl.

The two annoying things about this is that it can take quite a while to get enough, and you have to have a pretty damn big pot if you don't want to keep refilling it. On the plus-side, it's free (minus the ESB bill).

Grand will pop to the chemist so, didn't think they'd have large bottles, not really bothered making it myself :P

Looking forward to building it now

• Advertisement

Just take your time with it, and don't rush anything trying to get it done.

Oh. However long you think it'll take, odds are you'll be longer at it, so expect that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

c'mon nobody's asked the obvious question?

how much?

5.5, ish? Not sure how much those monitors cost, that's about the only major difference between yours and mine, though I've done mine over a couple of years and quite a few upgrades, so I'm not sure.

Close, about 6.2. I'm also building a home server and buying some networking equipment. Total is 6.7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

What's the fourth monitor for man?

I do alot of web/computer work, moar monitors = moar multitasking. The reason the 4th monitor is different is because it will be mounted above my centre monitor and will connect seamlessly unlike the other monitors which have the buttons jutting out on the bottom

You're not going to run the monitors in portait mode?

I have a dual monitor setup myself, so I can't really game with it, but I would have thought three portrait monitors makes more sense. Then again, I suppose from a production stand-point they don't really.

Had thought about doing portrait, but I guess theres nothing stopping me from changing my mind later on and trying portrait.

I think for gaming the wide view angle from having the monitors horizontal will be an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you should get some great fps on Minecraft with those ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thats gonna be a very nice rig when its done.:D
    Looking forward to seeing a build log too.

I have to disagree with buliding loop outside the case to leak test because you still will have to test when its all fitted into case.

Just a few reasons that i think it makes it not worth while.
    It puts stress on connections while trying to fit it into case in one go.
    You might still have to disconnect one or two parts just to get into the case which makes testing beforehand kinda a waste of time imo.
    You would have to fit the blocks to both gpus and then try fit them without breaking them.Think of the weight of gpu/block and rads when full of water.
    With your case i presume you will be passing the tubing through the gromets which unless your a magician it will mean having to diconnect something to allow you to pass tube through :p

Although if your a bit weary about it since its your fist time doing a loop i suppose connecting a few things together outside the case could help with confidence.

Have you planned the loop order yet?
    I'm curious as to where the 360 and especially where the 480 rad are going to go.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Thats gonna be a very nice rig when its done.:D
    Looking forward to seeing a build log too.

I have to disagree with buliding loop outside the case to leak test because you still will have to test when its all fitted into case.

Just a few reasons that i think it makes it not worth while.
    It puts stress on connections while trying to fit it into case in one go.
    You might still have to disconnect one or two parts just to get into the case which makes testing beforehand kinda a waste of time imo.
    You would have to fit the blocks to both gpus and then try fit them without breaking them.Think of the weight of gpu/block and rads when full of water.
    With your case i presume you will be passing the tubing through the gromets which unless your a magician it will mean having to diconnect something to allow you to pass tube through :p

Although if your a bit weary about it since its your fist time doing a loop i suppose connecting a few things together outside the case could help with confidence.

Have you planned the loop order yet?
    I'm curious as to where the 360 and especially where the 480 rad are going to go.

Have you watercooled before? Because most of what you're saying is wrong.

If he does it right, he won't put any more stress on the connections than the pump would (which is nothing in comparison to what they're designed for)

Opening one of the connections to get everything in the case would render the whole thing pointless, so that's not an option.

He won't have to leak test in the case. Well, not for 24 hours. I'd say watch it for an hour and you're good.

The blocks would be fitted to the GPUs outside the case. Trying to fit them on when the GPUs are already in the case would be... nightmarish. (It is possible, and I've done it, but it's really not something you want to do)

Both of those rads can fit internally (with modding), though that's a point: are either of your rads going to be external? If yes, what game4it said is rendered a bit more applicable. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Serephucus wrote: »
    Have you watercooled before? Because most of what you're saying is wrong.

If he does it right, he won't put any more stress on the connections than the pump would (which is nothing in comparison to what they're designed for)

Opening one of the connections to get everything in the case would render the whole thing pointless, so that's not an option.

He won't have to leak test in the case. Well, not for 24 hours. I'd say watch it for an hour and you're good.

The blocks would be fitted to the GPUs outside the case. Trying to fit them on when the GPUs are already in the case would be... nightmarish. (It is possible, and I've done it, but it's really not something you want to do)

Both of those rads can fit internally (with modding), though that's a point: are either of your rads going to be external? If yes, what game4it said is rendered a bit more applicable. :P

Yes i have done a couple of loops before.
    I have built my loop on my desk while modding case and i cant see how its possible to move sli/xfire gpus with blocks,his res and pump combo,cpu block and two rads from ouside the case to inside without disconnecting anything (even without hose not having to be passed through anything) :confused:
    Even if this is posible to do without messing it up,getting the right lenght of hose without it being to long or short and knowing if the bend radius is ok would be a pain imo.

Each to there own i suppose but for me i would rather build loop in the rig and leak test from there. :)

That's why I said for him to assemble it in the case first. ;)

He would then take it out, fill it, test it, and bleed it, then put it back.

The in/out is a two person job, I'll give you that.

I have one 360 mounted inside, and one 480 mounted onto the back. So I guess for the purpose of first time setup to get lengths right etc before taking it out to do a leak test I could just prop the 480 in some way that I don't have to feed it through the grommets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Deaddude wrote: »
    I have one 360 mounted inside, and one 480 mounted onto the back. So I guess for the purpose of first time setup to get lengths right etc before taking it out to do a leak test I could just prop the 480 in some way that I don't have to feed it through the grommets
    Where are you getting your monitors from OP, and how much are they setting you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

A fan controller for the 12x GT-AP15, good fans:)

Getting 95% of my stuff from scan.co.uk

Monitors are about 300 euro each

Using the NZXT Sentry LXE fan controller for my fans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Deaddude wrote: »
    Getting 95% of my stuff from scan.co.uk

Monitors are about 300 euro each

Using the NZXT Sentry LXE fan controller for my fans
    Why'd you settle on those monitors just out of interets? im in the market for 1 or 2 and im just not settled on what to get yet. i keep leaning back to the LG W2363D because they're so damn cheap to do surround 3D on, and it offers all the features of the slightly more expensive ones. it also has the "THRU" motion tech, which gives it 0ms lag.

If money was no object, id get 3x Acer HN274H in a heartbeat, but at ~€500pp, i could barely afford 1, and i could almost get 3 of the LG's i mentioned earlyier, but they dont support HDMI 1.4a, or have the build in 3D vision kit. aaarg decisions decisions...

Well, I did consider the LG (and I am in agreement with you about the Acer) but the BenQ monitor won it for me for the following reasons:

- It's one of only a couple of 3D LED monitors
    - 2ms response
    - Excellent ergonomic features (height adjust etc)

Also the reason I got the Dell was for above the centre monitor, it doesn't have anything jutting out below it

• Advertisement

Update
    Have my current PC on sale on Adverts incase anyone is interested.

http://www.adverts.ie/633255

Advertisement