Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new high spec rig

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Update
    Ordering next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I'm just wondering.

You have a M/b that supports two SATA 6Gb/s drives but I don't see you using those interfaces in your build.
    So if I'm right and your not using them, would you not see a nice jump in system performance if you got a SATAIII SSD instead of the SATAII that you have listed? And to even push for more power go for two 60Gb SSD's in RAID-0 to get even better performance?
    From my reading, your Motherboard will support it and if you get two,
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/60gb-ocz-agility-3-ssd-25-sata-6gb-s-sandforce-2281-read-525mb-s-write-475mb-s-50k-iops
    SSD's it's only another £40 over what your listed SSD is valued at on scan and would make some big differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The Corsair force 3 is a 6Gbps drive.

Incidentally, weren't these the ones that were recalled last week? I'd be careful about buying these. I don't know if replacements were available... I think you should email scan or corsair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Sorry your right, the review I looked at listed it as SATA 3Gb/s, I think actually it didn't have force 3 so that was an oversight on my behalf, sorry :/

But the RAID-0 point still stands, on such a high end system it would add a nice bit to have two SSD's in RAID.

Yes you're right I read that the corsair 120 gb force drives we're recalled, forgot to update the list but will probably will be going for the vertex 3 or vertex 3 max iops

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Hope its ok to jump into this thread. I see youve listed the pc 360 headphones and ASUS soundcard. Ive ordered the headset myself, will be here in about 4-5 days time. I am wondering if there will be a big difference if I bought a soundcard. Ive read many forums etc, but often its hard to get honest answers. Lots of people who think they know about things, are really just spouting off opinions that theyve read, and have not actually experienced for themselves. My mobo is the ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev B3, which apparently has good quality onboard sound. Have you tried listening to your headset connected directly to the onboard sound and then compared it to the sound from the soundcard? Could you do it for me if you have not done so already? The card costs about 135GBP and it would be good to know if there was a real genuine noticeable difference before potentially squandering cash.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and watching the odd movie, but I will most likely be using my speakers when movie watching, so its not that relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

djrichard wrote: »
    Hope its ok to jump into this thread. I see youve listed the pc 360 headphones and ASUS soundcard. Ive ordered the headset myself, will be here in about 4-5 days time. I am wondering if there will be a big difference if I bought a soundcard. Ive read many forums etc, but often its hard to get honest answers. Lots of people who think they know about things, are really just spouting off opinions that theyve read, and have not actually experienced for themselves. My mobo is the ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev B3, which apparently has good quality onboard sound. Have you tried listening to your headset connected directly to the onboard sound and then compared it to the sound from the soundcard? Could you do it for me if you have not done so already? The card costs about 135GBP and it would be good to know if there was a real genuine noticeable difference before potentially squandering cash.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and watching the odd movie, but I will most likely be using my speakers when movie watching, so its not that relevant.

Why not wait for your headset to arrive and see what you think? if it doesn't sound to your liking then you can always buy a soundcard.

Anyway,dunno what the onboard sounds like, but people i know a lot of people have been raving about the xonar dg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ta tu aerach

Pretty average rig to be fair; certainly nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Pretty average rig to be fair; certainly nothing to write home about.
    Good point. Very informative.

Hey

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, it's been taking me quite awhile to get everything setup.

The reason I went for a soundcard for that headset is that a powered amp on a soundcard will give much better sound on the headphones

Going to post new topic with build log, pics etc in the next week or so

• Advertisement

HI, thanks for the replies.

Knock on the door this morning "cant be Amazon, they are not due for a few days yet?" I jumped up looked out the window and there was the An Post van! Woohoo!!!!

Headset is so comfortable and the build quality is exceptional. The flex in it is great, Ive had a few rigid headsets in the past that cracked despite being treated very carefully.

Changed a few settings in my Realtek HD Audio soundcard, downloaded Queens album in FLAC and watched a few clips of bluray movies. In particular, that operatic singing scene in The Fifht Element. Sound quality is incredible, detailed and completely in control. There is less bass than I expected, though I had read that many times in reviews. Not played any games on it yet.

I have to get an amp, I understood that as its 50ohm instead opf the 150ohm of the 350's. that it might not need an amp. I think it will. Its nowhere near loud enough. I like the sound to be blasting. I have everything set to maximum, but I just have a feeling it should feel more driven than this, I dont get the impression its being pushed.

Its almost loud enough when playing FLAC recordings, and fairly loud during gaming. Its too low in movies though, tried playing different movies, all high quality blurays using different media players.

I dont know if my ears have become accustomed to having a lot of bass through using subwoofers, but there is a distinct lack of bass. I can feel it, when its there its very precise and I can still hear all the other noises perfectly, its just not thumping my ears the way I hoped. Hmmm I think I might have to buy myself an expensive soundcard with a headphone amp.

Advertisement