Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall has rockwool

Options
  • 23-05-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I have had 3 companies come and do estimates for filling with bead. 1 of the companies said that a cavity wall that has rockwool cannot be filled with the beads as they will not settle properly, the other two did not see it as a problem and quoted anyway.

Confused but tend to believe the company who said no as they were sorry to lose the business :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlanConnolly

The company that walked away from the job are correct.

Beads can not be pumped into a wall that contains mineral wool.

National Standards Association of Ireland (NSAI) will not provide any guarantee for pumping in this manner. Neither will any of the product manufacturers.

If the wool has 'settled' in the wall, the only option is to get the void area pumped with additional wool. Again, you will need to source a reputable company to do this work, because the walls might not take any more material.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

I am not sure about it settling as it looks like the stuff on a roll pinned to the inner wall. This appears to have left a still sizeable gap. They suggested using a company who do the expanding foam?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I am not sure about it settling as it looks like the stuff on a roll pinned to the inner wall. This appears to have left a still sizeable gap. They suggested using a company who do the expanding foam?

absolutely not... expanding foam is not certified for use inside a block cavity wall.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    absolutely not... expanding foam is not certified for use inside a block cavity wall.

CORRECT !!

It can only lead to problems, major ones at that too.

Alan

Another thing, you could get the mineral wool removed.
    Then get bonded bead pumped in. Removal of wool requires
    Holes to be cored into external wall and have wool sucked out.

Pricey work

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

do any of you know of any company who does such work? ie sucking out the wool?

Thanks

eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

whats the problem with rockwool in the cavity??
    Next door house is a german build one with sheets of rockwool thick 10cm
    I will build mine very soon and would do it with rockwool too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

whats the problem with rockwool in the cavity??
    Next door house is a german build one with sheets of rockwool thick 10cm
    I will build mine very soon and would do it with rockwool too

the type of mineral wool your talking about is quiet different from the stuff installed before, before... Antrim_Man when was your house built?

BryanF wrote: »
    the type of mineral wool your talking about is quiet different from the stuff installed before, before... Antrim_Man when was your house built?

Think in the 80's. Looking in the electrical box I can see a thin sheet of it so much of the cavity is not filled.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

hi Crosmolinalad,

do a search for the following
    "
    Old Foam Cavity Wall Insulation? "

sorry I do not know how to create a link. Anyway there you will see some of the issues with this wool. But as Bryan F has pointed its much different from the stuff installed before wich was blown in after the house was built.

• Advertisement

This is a view inside the meter box

CIMG1222.jpg

Advertisement