Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science (DIT) or Science (TCD)

• 23-05-2011 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I really want to do biomedical science but my parents think A degree from DIT is useless. Which I don't agree with.

I really want to do it as a prerequisite to GEM.

Would science in TCD be as good for GEM?
    Is DIT inferior to a university?

I need help guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I really detest the whole "TCD is superior college" mentality that many people have.
    DIT has fantastic courses especially science courses, and they're well recognised by employers, my brother walked into a well paying job after barely a week out of DIT in the height of the recession so they're hardly useless.

If you've done your homework on it and DIT is where you want to go then go for it

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

I really detest the whole "TCD is superior college" mentality that many people have.
    DIT has fantastic courses especially science courses, and they're well recognised by employers, my brother walked into a well paying job after barely a week out of DIT in the height of the recession so they're hardly useless.

If you've done your homework on it and DIT is where you want to go then go for it

Good luck :)

Yeah that's what I'm saying man! I think it's for their high standard so they can brag and say in in trinity . Nothing more. University sounds a lot more fancy than institute of technology.

They should cut places in some courses to increase points and therefore Allow themselves to attract more studious and competitive students.
    That would improve their reputation among parents. I hate their attitude on it but DIT should introduce courses like Nursing, Pharmacy, Medicine and other courses so people stop thinking it's a dosser college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

carlyle wrote: »
    They should cut places in some courses to increase points and therefore Allow themselves to attract more studious and competitive students.

DIT offers a variety of courses that no other colleges offer. No they shouldn't decrease places because they do alot more good than bad. They give students an option should they mess up they can always get a decent education in DIT. Also, with them allowing people to do Ordinary maths and getting into Engineering is giving students who want to be an engineer relief because they don't have to study Higher Level Maths in their Leaving Certs.
    carlyle wrote: »
    That would improve their reputation among parents. I hate their attitude on it but DIT should introduce courses like Nursing, Pharmacy, Medicine and other courses so people stop thinking it's a dosser college

Firstly they have limited space, they cant decide all of a sudden to build a new Law building, like UCD have the ability to. They are working in a lot limited space than anywhere else and can't offer that many courses because of it.

Also, I don't like the snobbery you are showing to DIT. I am not in DIT but I don't think the comments that are being said about it are particularly fair because it is a good college and not every one is great at the Leaving cert, so it gives students an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are plans to move DIT to a new integrated campus at Grangegorman ... it's been slowed up by the recession and spending cuts, but it will happen in time.

Interestingly, in the light of comparisons between DIT and Trinity, in 1975 Trinity (or I suppose strictly speaking the University of Dublin, of which TCD is the sole constituent college) entered an agreement whereby it conferred academic degrees on the graduates of the colleges comprising DIT (this was slightly before DIT as a single federal entity came into being). It continued to do so until 1998, when the institution was granted its own degree awarding powers. The institution has sought university status previously; although the application was declined, the institution now has powers comparable to those of a university, and its degrees are recognised as such in Ireland.

DIT is an odd case generally, even in the Irish context of odd cases. Its name suggests that it is an institute of technology, and in many ways it is, but it has a status somewhat different to the other IoTs. In many respects it is a de facto university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandybum

I did Biomedical Science in DIT and graduated in 2009. It is a great course and in my opinion far superior to Science degrees in UCD or Trinity as it focuses heavily on the practical aspect of science and not just the theory. I would recommend to anyone who wants to work in the area of Biological Sciences to consider doing this course as on graduating, you already have wonderful lab skills that will be very attractve to a potential employer.
    Hospital labs will only hire graduates from this course or the equivalent in Cork or Galway. As for doing medicine, I think being a doctor that is knowledgable about lab tests and how and why they are done is very desirable.
    You should explain to your parents, if you can, that for a future career where practical experience will be a major criterion for being hired, a degree from DIT would be much more desirable than one from Trinity where less hours are devoted to labs.

I have nothing but good things to say about this course as it got me where I am today, doing a PhD that I love in UL. I was the chosen candidate out of 150 applicants mainly due to the great reputation DIT has for graduates with practical skills.

I hope you get to do the course you really want and good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Where your degree is from is largely irrelevant as long as the Uni / IT has a name for good education. A 1.1 is from DIT is more impressive than 2.1 from Trinity to an employer. It's about performance instead of institution to an Irish employer. That being said though if you go to the UK for work with a Trinity degree you're going to employers with a degree held on the same level as KCL / UCL / ICL etc, not quite Oxbridge but still regarded extremely high. DIT means little to a foreign employer as they'll have never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

You's have been very helpful!

I honestly think DIT is brilliant and it's my parents "snobbery" that has been clouding their judgement. I'm old enough to choose my own course and I firmly believe I will go to DIT for biomedical science.

I hope your PhD goes well and that you have a marvellous career.

Thanks again guys/girls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cchaney

wats the story with the points for biomedical science in dit? theres nothin about points in the requirments but theres only 45 places so is it just the ppl with the highest points get it?!

cchaney wrote: »
    wats the story with the points for biomedical science in dit? theres nothin about points in the requirments but theres only 45 places so is it just the ppl with the highest points get it?!
    Points are set by supply and demand, so yes, normally it will be the people with the highest points and who meet any other minimum requirements set by the college.

arite, and would anyone know of any averages for points or anythin by any chance?? i know its obviously different every year n all but even any estimates from past students?!

• Advertisement

Points for the last view years can be found on the CAO website here.

After that, it's anyone's guess.

Also, just a gentle hint that textspeak is very unwelcome on this website. :)

ari tnx il no bettr nx tym ha

cchaney wrote: »
    ari tnx il no bettr nx tym ha
    You see, folks, here's a perfect example of what not to do on Boards.

Pop a question up, get helpful responses and, by the by, a gentle hint from a forum mod re: using textspeak, and then decide to be a smartass!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement