Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this be ok to do?

Options
  • 23-05-2011 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Ok, well I do Higher Level Irish, and I find it easy enough to get a C grade in it, but in the J.C I really want to get a B. I got 61% in the mocks, with only a small amount of study and a lot of cramming in school on the day.

But I was wondering, for the studied Poetry and Prose would it be ok if I did this:
    For the Prose, I studied David Lang ar Iarraidh, Dunmharu i gCaerio and Eacthrai Aoibhne, but I dont really understand Dunmharu i gCaerio. I looked through the exam papers and every year a topic has come up that suits David Lang ar Iarraidh, so if I learned off an answer for that, and learned a few phrases for Eactrai Aoibhne just in case, would that be really stupid, or would it be ok?

For the Poetry, the same thing really goes, I studied 3 poems, I know one really well (reiteoig mharfach), which suits alot of topics, I know one sort (an t-earrach thiar)of, and I struggle with one of them(teilifis). Could I learn off one answer and learn a fer phrases for the other one just in case

Also, For the essay on paper 1, how do I study for that? im finding it really hard, because the titles are so different every year, i've learned off a few phrases, but im just worried that either I wont understand the titles, or that I wont be able to get enough out of the title to make it long enough..Any advice?
    :)
    sorry for the essay
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

To be honest, for Poetry I just learned An tOzon and learned one theme for it, and for Pros i just learned An tAdh and one theme for it. My book (Fonn 3) gives a sample answer which really you can fit into anything, I dont think all of it has to be directly related to that theme. Thats what I did in my mock anyway, and i got two 15s!

Same for the sceal really, I just learned off one about a Timpiste perfect, and with 4-5 lines you can fit it into any essay.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

It's probably not OK, but sure it'll do. :pac: I'm going to ignore two of my poems and just focus on the other two as we've done them so many times that they don't require a lot of study, and they'll more than likely suit. If not, I could probably scrape half marks or so on one of te other poems. I did a novel so I just have to focus on that and pray that the question suits it on the day. As for the scéal, timpiste all the way. It probably bores the examiner to tears, and I'd actually love to ask an Irish corrector's advice on this, but if the grammar is decent and there's no huge mistakes you'll do fairly well. I got 40/50 in my mocks for doing a Timpiste, which was grand although if I was going for the A it'd be disappointing. There's always a way to fit a timpiste into any story tbh, so if you can manipulate it you'll be grand.

And studying for paper 1? Other than learning the scéal coupled with some handy phrases, and going over grammar such as verbs and reamhfocail, there isn't really a whole lot to be done unfortunately. Don't worry, from what I've heard a B in Irish is very achievable, it's the A that's nigh impossible to get (slight exaggeration).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yellowsky169

Yeah, just wanted to say be careful about learning themes out of "revision books" because I learned pros from one of them for the mocks and got about half marks but I learned the poem from the textbook and got full marks!! Happened a couple of my friends too...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OsamaObama321

Look just learn one and learn a few lines from another for the studied prose and poetry and if it doesnt fit the theme sure fk it if all the themes ar crap for david lang ill do grá and if it doesnt fit grá i'll make it fit!!! And for the essay jus learn a few lines and say a load of stuff you learnd in primary school. Most of all dnt worry abou irish after all it is the most pointless boring stupid thing youll ever do.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

We've done around seven or eight poems so I've plenty of choice. I'm just going to learn two though: Subh Milis, which really is simple and it's short too, and then Mr. Hart 1954 for backup.

We've done four Prós, and I'll probably learn Ag Dul Siar and one other, with a third as a backup.

For my aiste, somethings going on fire anyway... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

For my Pro I'm doing Liam na Guise, I'd really rather not learn off the other one we did. Not sure what poem I wanna do though, probably Subh Milis because it's short and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OsamaObama321

Does anyone kno wer i can get a subh milis sample answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mmacdee

can someone please give me a sample answer for An tAdh le padraic o conaire for timpiste ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

mmacdee wrote: »
    can someone please give me a sample answer for An tAdh le padraic o conaire for timpiste ??

Here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88066644&postcount=761

Try searching first next time. ;)

Do you mean 'and for timpiste'? If so, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79064052&postcount=18
    That only took me 5 seconds to find by searching.

Advertisement