Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?dog food advise please?

• 23-05-2011 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

looking for advice on behalf of a friend. Due to unforseen circumstances she is hard up for cash at the moment but obviously doesn't wanna give up her dog. What's the best food around e30?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What kind of dog does she have, and puppy or adult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe the Beta or Red Mills leader? What dog has she got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

sorry should have said its a 2yr old Labrador

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Red Mills Leader is a very reasonable price and a pretty decent food for the price you pay. Think it's around €40 per 15kg bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I have my lab on Gain Big Dog Adult, he's doing great on it. I pay €25 a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 snowy two

My Dogs eat pedro gold they love it around 18 euro a bag.

thanks guys Will pass on the info!

Try and get the best you can afford within your budget. The ones that were mentioned near the top of this thread would be a much better quality than Pedro Gold or Gain, so if you can afford that little bit better i would go with the likes of Red Mills Leader Supreme.

Thanks Andrea – she is obviously looking to get the highest quality possible for the price but the budget won’t stretch to red mills leader as that is around €45 for 15kg bag. Will look at the beta range and what about the cheaper red mills – winner etc??

Anyone had any experience or advice with Happy Dog Natur-Croq??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

i have switched from Rc which was getting too expensive for me to whites dog food. It is €38 a 15kg bag and my dogs have never looked so good or pood so less. Never thought i would find a food that all my dogs liked and suited them and my purse.

• Advertisement

Where do you source that portgirl? On the internet or in a pet shop?

Oh is it 45?? God, didnt realise it was that dear, sorry.

No i wouldnt go for the Winner one. Maybe try that Whites that Portgirl mentioned.

Right having looked at the amounts to be fed I have narrowed it down to either the Whites or Premier High 5 from MaxiZoo as both cost the same per day to feed. Good quality red mills is more expensive as is Beta and I think both Whites & Premier are better value than Beta.
    The Premier High 5 might win out as she lives beside a maxizoo so will be able to source this easily.

Thanks for all your help.

Where do you source that portgirl? On the internet or in a pet shop?
    just google whites dog food. delivery is next day and free

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Been talking to a few dog owners that have said they feed there dog on Natures Kitchen, it's made by vets and only sold in certain vets, apparently it has everything your dog needs and is only €30 for two 15kg bags. I'm going to try my two on it and see how they get on, but need to find out who sells it first!

theshamu wrote: »
    Been talking to a few dog owners that have said they feed there dog on Natures Kitchen, it's made by vets and only sold in certain vets, apparently it has everything your dog needs and is only €30 for two 15kg bags. I'm going to try my two on it and see how they get on, but need to find out who sells it first!

Is it Natures Menu? Dont think theres a natures kitchen. I dont think you can get this in 15 kg bags as its all diff raw foods, maybe im getting mixed up but never heard of Natures Kitchen....

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Anyone had any experience or advice with Happy Dog Natur-Croq??

I've used this and I was very pleased with it. Lovely coats, bright eyes, nice firm poo and, most importantly, no windy episodes of an evening :D

(I've also used HappyCat XL and found it to be excellent too (and we've historically been a Royal-Canin-Or-I'll-Have-The-Squits-On-The-Only-Rug-In-The-House household))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i dont know why she has to rely purely on bought dog food, i have jack russells and i found that when i fed them dogfood only, the let off gas and stank me out of my house, i now feed them potatoes, carrots and mince meat mashed , and or whatever meat i have left over from dinner i mix in plenty gravy and they love it, i try do keep it to home made as much as possible, and they love it, it is only in the past 20 yrs people started relying on bought dog food, i never saw my parents buy dog of cat food and we would always have two big dogs and a few cats, but i love my j russells, if she has neighbours who do not have pets, and she know them well, they might help by giving their leftover meat and veg from their dinners and so on, my sister always give me her left overs and i make nice dinners for them with it

andreac wrote: »
    Is it Natures Menu? Dont think theres a natures kitchen. I dont think you can get this in 15 kg bags as its all diff raw foods, maybe im getting mixed up but never heard of Natures Kitchen....

Yeah it's definitely Natures Kitchen, when I got my last pup I was given a 15kg bag of puppy food. At the time the dog eat every last kibble.

Theres just nothing coming up when i search for it online and i would question the price of it too, as in its very cheap for 30 euro for 2 bags so i wouldnt be too sure on how good the ingredients are in it for that price...

• Advertisement

Goat2 the dog doesn’t do too well with rich human food even with a little added into her kibble so my friend wouldn’t feed her a human food diet. Also I would be afraid that she wouldn’t be getting the correct balance of nutrients that she needs.

The dog isn’t doing too well on her current food so she is gonna get a bag of the Premier High 5 today as she wants to get started on a new food asap and get a bit of weight up as the dog looks a little skinny. She is then going to have a look at White’s and Natur-Croq as a more permanent solution (need time to get delivered if ordering off the net). Have her told how to wean the dog between foods over a week etc to avoid upset tummies.

Thanks again for all your help.

Theres just nothing coming up when i search for it online and i would question the price of it too, as in its very cheap for 30 euro for 2 bags so i wouldnt be too sure on how good the ingredients are in it for that price...

Yeah I thought the same my self when I first heard about them but the Family I bough my Rottie off done are big into their dogs and done some research into it and said it's great food, there two Rotties have been on it for some time and there coats were shiny, eyes nice and bright etc. I will try and source it and post the list of ingredients.

Clonsilla Vet stock's it:

http://www.activevetcare.ie/clonsilla-vet

It's actually a special promotion, €30 per 15kg + 1 FREE BAG.

Going to pick it up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OllieNorth

Hi MH I use red mills winner for my 2 german shephards. It is the best food that i have found for the money. You need to be very careful to read the labels as there is a lot of rubbish on the market.
    You can buy the red mills winner lots of places for 29 euro, woodies usually has it for 24.99.
    Hope this helps, good luck.
    Ollie:)

theshamu wrote: »
    Clonsilla Vet stock's it:

http://www.activevetcare.ie/clonsilla-vet

It's actually a special promotion, €30 per 15kg + 1 FREE BAG.

Going to pick it up tonight.

Ah very good, so its usually 30 a bag anyway which wouldnt be too bad really. You must post the ingredients when you get a chance, be interesting to see them as ive never heard of this food.:)

Ah very good, so its usually 30 a bag anyway which wouldnt be too bad really. You must post the ingredients when you get a chance, be interesting to see them as ive never heard of this food.:)

I will post them tomorrow. :cool:
    This seems to be an on-going promotion too so will be interested to see what people think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

i have switched from Rc which was getting too expensive for me to whites dog food. It is €38 a 15kg bag and my dogs have never looked so good or pood so less. Never thought i would find a food that all my dogs liked and suited them and my purse.

Thanks for mentioning Whites, looking into changing over myself now. Comparing ingredients it's nearly exactly the same as James Wellbeloved which Im currently feeding but cheaper. I know Iv always been one to say you get what you pay for as regards dog food so still a little hesitant to change over.
    Anyone else have any thoughts on Whites?

JWB:
    Ingredients: Rice, lamb meat meal, ground whole barley, whole linseed, lamb fat, lamb gravy, sugar beet pulp, alfalfa, sodium chloride, natural seaweed, calcium carbonate, chicory extract, lysine, D,L-methionine, yucca extract, threonine, JWB special ingredients.
    Contains: Min 26% lamb, min 26% rice, min 14% barley.
    Typical analysis: Protein 20%, oil 10%, fibre 4%, ash 8.5%, omega-3 fatty acids 1.1%, omega 6 fatty acids 1.1%.

Whites:
    Ingredients
    Lamb (26%), Rice (26%), Barley, Poultry fat, Sugar beet pulp, Brewers yeast, Yucca extract, Minerals, Vitamins, Omega 3
    Protein % 22.00, Oil % 8.00

with whites as well i switched my over weight dog, from rc obesity, which didnt seem to be working to whites senior/sensitive and the results in 6 weeks has been amazing. she has gone from 11.40 ro 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kaner64

We recently changed our 2 dogs to Burns Complete (pork and potato flavour) €35 for 15kg which we buy from our vet (who recommended it). They love it and a little goes a long way as the feeding guideline is 100g of food per 10kg of dog per day. Our lurcher has been on steroids for 5 years because of his allergy itching and hasn't been scratching since we changed his food.

• Advertisement

kaner64 wrote: »
    We recently changed our 2 dogs to Burns Complete (pork and potato flavour) €35 for 15kg which we buy from our vet (who recommended it). They love it and a little goes a long way as the feeding guideline is 100g of food per 10kg of dog per day. Our lurcher has been on steroids for 5 years because of his allergy itching and hasn't been scratching since we changed his food.

Theres no way you are paying 35 euro for a 15kg bag of Burns... Its at least 50-60 euro. Maybe its the smaller bag?

Advertisement