Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?dog food advise please?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya I agree with andreac, I pay €30 for 7.5kg of Burns in my local vet.

I got 12kg of Barking Heads puppy food today in Petworld for the new pup for €36. There is €10 off a 6kg bag at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kaner64

Sorry, you're right it was the 7.5kg bag. My apologies. They were previously eating Arden Grange which was the same price but they were eating twice as much of it I still think the Burns is quite economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

theshamu wrote: »
    Clonsilla Vet stock's it:

http://www.activevetcare.ie/clonsilla-vet

It's actually a special promotion, €30 per 15kg + 1 FREE BAG.

Going to pick it up tonight.

Did anybody get this food? What were the ingredients like, the price sounds very good??? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭marrakechheat

Is the dog food from the vet still available @ 30 euro for 2 bags?

Im really interested in this stuff, would there be any vets selling this nearer
    co longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭theshamu

Is the dog food from the vet still available @ 30 euro for 2 bags?

Im really interested in this stuff, would there be any vets selling this nearer
    co longford?

Yeah it's still available and my dog's love it, and I have a very fussy bulldog that especially enjoys it which really shocked me :D

Not to sure if it's available in Longford, try ringing the vet mentioned above and see will they deliver or know a Vet around your area.

Hope this helps..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paula w

Red Mills is a wheat based food which the cheaper the food the more wheat & over time the dogs starts to scratch excessively. My shepherd & lab both became allergic. The labs back blistered & turned pussy. Put them on Whites as it doesnt have wheat and they havent looked back since

Mine love <Spam> & we use the lamb, when I looked at their ingredients the lamb is the main thing and its human grade meat

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LovelyHurlin

<Removing name of a company that has been spammed by another user> - Admin

I am using RC at the moment for my lab/boxer mix. He is getting on fine on it. Not outstanding given the price, but no problems either. I am always wondering could I get him something better! I like the fact that Whites state that they use human grade meat. It seems like good value too...I'm just trying to find the catch :P

When I switched to <Spam>, I gave them a call. They were really good with their advise and when I queried the price, they told me the UK owners & themselves are dog owners and felt the price they paid for food was too much. When they looked for an alternative there was none so they developed their own. They also dont spend alot of money on advertising, they said if they did then the prices would have to go up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

paula w wrote: »
    When I switched to Whites, I gave them a call. They were really good with their advise and when I queried the price, they told me the UK owners & themselves are dog owners and felt the price they paid for food was too much. When they looked for an alternative there was none so they developed their own. They also dont spend alot of money on advertising, they said if they did then the prices would have to go up. :)
    totally agree with paula, the girl that deals with the sending of food and who gives out the advsie, who by the way is also called paula, is a lovely lady. just word of warning, dont make call if u in hurry as paula loves to chat, really nice lady.

food is ex, i was always a rc fanatic would buy nothing else but gave whites a try and would now use nothing else. placed a order this morning, for 15kg of senior/lite as one of my dogs is on a serious diet and paula advised against getting big bag as my doggie is near her target weight now. she said to get 2kg and when i use that if she aint hit her target she would send me rest out in sample bags as she didnt want me wasting my money. what other company would be thinking of customer instead of themselves. not many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 LovelyHurlin

Thanks for the information PortGirl and Paula. :)

I emailed Whites and they got back to me already. They are going to send me out a sample. If all goes well with that then I'll probably give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

I have a puppy red setter and is prone to bloating.

The vets we attend gave me a sample of hills pet science plan. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ingredients: Mini Chicken and Medium Chicken (minimum Chicken 34%, Chicken and Turkey combined 50%): Ground maize, chicken and turkey meal, animal fat, digest, dried beet pulp, maize gluten meal, fish oil, potassium chloride, disodium phosphate, salt, L-tryptophan, taurine, vitamins and trace elements. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

kmmh58 wrote: »
    I have a puppy red setter and is prone to bloating.

The vets we attend gave me a sample of hills pet science plan. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Ingredients: Mini Chicken and Medium Chicken (minimum Chicken 34%, Chicken and Turkey combined 50%): Ground maize, chicken and turkey meal, animal fat, digest, dried beet pulp, maize gluten meal, fish oil, potassium chloride, disodium phosphate, salt, L-tryptophan, taurine, vitamins and trace elements. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract.

I personally wouldnt feed Hills to my dogs. My dog had a reaction to it and broke out in hot spots and i know other dogs that have had similar reactions to it too so its not a food i would recommend.
    Alos, vets sell it as they get commission for selling it, so thats the reaosn they push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

andreac wrote: »
    I personally wouldnt feed Hills to my dogs. My dog had a reaction to it and broke out in hot spots and i know other dogs that have had similar reactions to it too so its not a food i would recommend.
    Alos, vets sell it as they get commission for selling it, so thats the reaosn they push it.

Thank you for this. I have been feeding her this for 2 days, as of yet I have not noticed a reaction. What food would you recommend for red setter pup who is prone to bloating? Is royal canin or james wellbeloved any good or should I order the whites online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I wouldnt feed Hills or RC either, they didnt cause a reaction like Andreac's dogs but I just dont think they are good foods especially considering the prices.

You could try Burns, thats what I have my two Yorkies & our foster dog on. I have the pup on Barking Heads puppy food. All good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com. I have my 7 month old lab pup on Orijen Puppy Food. Bought it in Petconnection Newry on Special offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

For value and quality I go for Redmills leader. I wouldnt have a problem feeding one of the winner/pet Redmills but I'd definately supplement it with "people" food, but I do that anyway.:D

Saying that it also comes down to what the dog loves. My dad's dog turned his nose up at Orijin and wolfed down some Lidl food :D so ever since thats what he's gotten (along with scraps/bones/meat). He constantly gets complimented about his fantastic condition and he has never had any health problems!

Oh, and good solid poop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We feed this http://www.bewital-petfood.co.uk/belcando.html

We had trouble with Harleys anal glands for so long before switching to this. It's 50 for a 15kg bag and we buy it locally. Both of the dogs are in great condition and both a very active. Regular solid poos too.

Looking at whites though I'm thinking of giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Its a personal choice I suppose,I feed Jameswelllbeloved,but my 3 are all smallish so wouldnt be eating as much as a Lab,generally the better quality the food the less you have to feed as thier are less fillers in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

op here just an update, the lab started on maxizoo premier high 5 about a month ago. doing great - putting on weight and poos are good.have also started my cocker on it and she is doing excellent aswell.
    both dogs get alot of exercise so the 26% protein is doing them good but would need to bear that in mind if your dog doesn't get as much exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

hello,i was feeding my two german shepards propac adult but was costing a fortune so a friend recomended gain adult food,and thankfully they love it and at 25 euros its half the price of propac :)

Advertisement