Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbl is wrecking my head

• 23-05-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

so after the psn nonsense a couple of weeks back, i decided to dig out the old xbox and see if the xbox live network was worth the money

my xbox was one of the old types so i had to buy a wireless adapter
    i thought i would buy one of those, plug it in and i was away with it
    it hasnt turned out to be that easy though

when i run the connection test, it shows that i can get online, but that i cant connect to the xbl network
    i tried it in another house that uses eircom broadband same as me, and it works perfectly
    so it means that it is my router thats the problem, only i havent a clue how to fix it

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Sounds like your firewall is set to strict. Drop it down to moderate and it should work!

EDIT: Should be low not moderate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

stick the xbox's IP in the DMZ of the router... thats the easiest way to solve it prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 baal

-=al=- wrote: »
    stick the xbox's IP in the DMZ of the router... thats the easiest way to solve it prob

i know a wee bit about computers but i havent a clue what a dmz is

i went into the router settings and picked out the custom services thing
    theres xbox live right there in the drop down menu and the ports all seem to be the right ones but it doesnt work

i literally cried myself to sleep last night over this

i just found the thing you were on about i think
    its the IP Passthrough yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

baal wrote: »
    i know a wee bit about computers but i havent a clue what a dmz is

i went into the router settings and picked out the custom services thing
    theres xbox live right there in the drop down menu and the ports all seem to be the right ones but it doesnt work

i literally cried myself to sleep last night over this

i just found the thing you were on about i think
    its the IP Passthrough yes?

Did you try lowering your routers firewall setting? For a few friends thats all they had to do when they couldnt connect to xbox live.

no i havent tried that yet but i definitely will give it a go
    its current set at medium so hopefully low will fix it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

yeah the dmz is just a setting on the router that u can assign the xbox's IP too

If u have your xbox network settings to auto and router DHCP enabled the IP may change on the xbox. So the best thing to do is asign the xbox a designated IP so you wouldnt have to change it from time since the DHCP maye give it a different IP each time it connects.

also make sure UPNP is enabled on the router

It's probably slightly easier just to throw the xbox in the dmz than opening the ports for the xbox if your not to sure what your doing, but id do both to make sure... I can't remeber the xbox's ports off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Don't forget you have to open certain ports which XBL needs to connect to your console.

first, get rid of your wireless adapter. A lan Connection is always better. Just buy a long cable and knock a hole or 2 in the wall :D

Secondly, forward your ports for XBL (go to www.portforward.com for a good guide) and/or set up your router with either a DMZ or lower security settings.

XBL is absolutely solid if you do a little bit of jiggery pokery with your set-up. With a bit of basic messing about you should have no problems at all, especially if you have a decent broadband conection.

well i lowered the firewall settings and everything seems to be working fine now
    thanks for the help everyone
    i would try all that port forwarding and stuff but i would only mess it up
    port forwarding is one of the greatest mysteries of the ages it seems, it never works for me

anyway, thanks again

baal wrote: »
    port forwarding is one of the greatest mysteries of the ages it seems, it never works for me

Glad you got XBL sorted out. BTW you have to set a static IP on your hardware (your xbox) for a port forward to work, that's the crucial step. Lots of people mess up with that bit. If you don't do that it may work once but as soon as you reset or switch off it will probably go back to how it was because of different dynamic IPs being assigned on reboot.

If you can get your head around it it's well worth doing, but the cardinal rule in I.T. is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement