Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Roundup/generic weedkiller in bulk?!

Options
  • 23-05-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

As per the title, need a LOT of weedkiller. It'll cost a fortune to get it from a DIY store so just wondering can it be bought in say 5 gallon drums anywhere?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

don't know where you're based but in my local co-op (farm supplies store), you can buy 5 gallon drums of round-up. Best tip I got though was to buy Gallup instead, does exactly the same job, used by farmers, costs just about half the price of round-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Perfect, thanks! I was thinking along the lines of the co-ops alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

ROSATE 26 .. 25 LITRE DRUM €75 CO OP

SAME ACTIVE INGREDIENT AS ROUNDUP

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

WTF! are you going spraying off:eek:
    you would do about 6-7 acres with 25litres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Go to Aldi, vinegar works out at about 80c per litre.
    For every litre vinegar mix in 60 gms of salt (for a 2 year clean) and a good squirt of washing up liquid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

sponge_bob wrote: »
    WTF! are you going spraying off:eek:
    you would do about 6-7 acres with 25litres

Yeah was thinking that myself, maybe the OP should do a spraying course with Teagasc first.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Go to Aldi, vinegar works out at about 80c per litre.
    For every litre vinegar mix in 60 gms of salt (for a 2 year clean) and a good squirt of washing up liquid
    would it work on rushes, briars. how often would i apply?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can make weedkiller with cigarettes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

shefra wrote: »
    would it work on rushes, briars. how often would i apply?

I know it works on briars, it attacks the foliage.
    Main points when spraying with home made weedkiller

1) Only add salt for a ground clearing kill, the salt sanitises the earth as well, so not good for lawn spray
    a mixture of vinegar and soap is good for spot treatment

2 I apply when clearing paths and when needed.

3 Spray in the middle of the day in warm, sunny, calm conditions

I figure if you are doing a large area, its worth tryng an organic solution first, anything that survives can be then hit with chemical preparations.

I would also reccommend giving owk (owk.ie) a go as well, its an Irish organic weedkiller - similar to homemade but a much higher acetic acid content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Incidentally it was just under an acre of land that I was looking to weedkill... Bought I think it was Touchdown in the end and pretty much got through the lot of it. Saved an absolute fortune compared to buying premixed stuff! Only regret is not using double the normal concentration coz I have a big thistle problem - if it were a viable crop, I'd be a happy man. Anyway, can't wait to see the after effects over the next few days...

Does anyone know for sure if the roots get killed off before the weeds completely die off? Just wondering how soon I can cut the lot and rotovate the land...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Any particular type of vinegar better than the other for the homemade mixture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Incidentally it was just under an acre of land that I was looking to weedkill... Bought I think it was Touchdown in the end and pretty much got through the lot of it. Saved an absolute fortune compared to buying premixed stuff! Only regret is not using double the normal concentration coz I have a big thistle problem - if it were a viable crop, I'd be a happy man. Anyway, can't wait to see the after effects over the next few days...

Does anyone know for sure if the roots get killed off before the weeds completely die off? Just wondering how soon I can cut the lot and rotovate the land...

Active ingredient is glyphosate and Im afraid to ask but How much did you buy?!!

Using more than you need to is pointless really and only causes waste and serious environmental problems.... So long as you used the recommended rate for the tough perennial weeds i.e thistle I wouldnt worry:)

I don't know what weeds you are treating (except thistle) but if you went for the lower rate for perennial (1.8l/ha) it can be repeated in two weeks times(at same rate) for greater control.

No more than 3.6l/ha in total per season!

You should see visual effects in 3-4 days but tough perennial weeds most likely 7-10 days.

I cant say for sure when it is safe to rotavate but better to wait rather than rush in, all your hard work could easily turn into 1000 new little buggers:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

You can buy 20Lt Gallup/Mizr for €68 + VAT in most CO-OP/Merchants. I Wouldn't pay any more than that.

Advertisement