Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of tyre for a turbo?

• 23-05-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Quick question, hooked up the new turbo this evening and used my normal road tyre on the back wheel. I've heard something about a training tyre - will my normal one be OK? It seemed OK when I finished. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

Basster wrote: »
    Quick question, hooked up the new turbo this evening and used my normal road tyre on the back wheel. I've heard something about a training tyre - will my normal one be OK? It seemed OK when I finished. Thanks.

No, a normal road tyre will wear far too quickly on a turbo, possible resulting in a blowout, due to the much higher heat and friction generated. Basically because the resistance is being provided by a small wheel on the turbo, said wheel doesn't get to cool down before coming back into contact with the tyre, and so this heat builds up in the wheel too. A turbo tyre, on the other hand, is made of harder rubber, so while it doesn't give as much grip were it to be used on the road (which it shouldn't be!), it wears much more slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I have done plenty of 1 hour sessions on the turbo with no signs of wear on the tyre, or no huge build up of heat either. But as Cython has said it can be an issue. Maybe my turbo doesnt have as much tension as others. My advice is monitor the tyre for signs of wear and/or heat buildup, if its there then buy a training tyre.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

macnab wrote: »
    I have done plenty of 1 hour sessions on the turbo with no signs of wear on the tyre, or no huge build up of heat either.
    You're obviously not trying hard enough:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

turbo sessions at this time of year? Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Beasty wrote: »
    You're obviously not trying hard enough:p

Left myself open there didnt I.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Diarmuid wrote: »
    turbo sessions at this time of year? Ouch!

Exams! My only defence. And the crazy wind.

Thanks for the advice all. Glad I asked. The tyre looked different than before, surprised it looked different after an hour, seemed visibly worn. Perhaps there was too much tension and what not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Basster wrote: »
    Exams! My only defence. And the crazy wind.

Thanks for the advice all. Glad I asked. The tyre looked different than before, surprised it looked different after an hour, seemed visibly worn. Perhaps there was too much tension and what not.
    Seriously you will get many thousands of km out of an ordinary tyre on a road bike, but may only be talking hundreds on a properly set-up turbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I am doing the opposite using the turbo tyre on the road (as well as the turbo)!!!

morana wrote: »
    I am doing the opposite using the turbo tyre on the road (as well as the turbo)!!!
    ... which is incredibly dangerous as turbo tyres have very little grip

so whatever morana wishes to do, don't do this at home guys;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I just used clapped out road tyres on the turbo. I've never had to buy a turbo tyre. I think I got that tip from Tunney.

• Advertisement
Advertisement