Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

I bought 2 and I just paid €135 per ticket, eek

I hope to god this show is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

DominoDub wrote: »
    Got 2 "PIT" feck the cost ...:D

Strange ...it says standing when ordering but the online confirmation receipt shows this :

Section
    PIT
    Row
    G4
    Seats
    456 - 457

Pretty sure this is a common occurrence on any standing tickets these days. Probably a capacity / insurance thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

Got 2 "PIT" feck the cost ...:D

Strange ...it says standing when ordering but the online confirmation receipt shows this :

Section
    PIT
    Row
    G4
    Seats
    456 - 457

I'm fairly pissed off over this, I would have bought Pit tickets if I knew they were seated as I have a sore ankle and didn't want to be standing, I ended up with a ticket on Block B. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

mine are pit and aren't numbered...

I've also booked to stay in a local hotel
    Can not wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I would have bought Pit tickets if I knew they were seated. :(

You've not made an error. The pit is standing only. The only seats are Block A and B on either side of the rear of the concert area, so you've done alright. As Toast said, those figures don't correspond to any rows or seats, they're just there as a reference number.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

just got mine, 4 o clock is an early start, my poor liver.

Iv never been to malahide castle is it an indoor or outdoor venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

steve_ wrote: »
    just got mine, 4 o clock is an early start, my poor liver.

Iv never been to malahide castle is it an indoor or outdoor venue?

It's outdoor, a really cool place, go up there nearly every day wit me dog.

IMO it's a far superior venue than Marlay Park as just 1 road leads to it from the city centre (Malahide Road) and there's a DART station more or less across the road

http://www.malahidecastle.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

applejam wrote: »
    I bought 2 and I just paid €135 per ticket
    Wow. Just....wow.

Savman wrote: »
    Wow. Just....wow.

Lol
    I'm still in shock, BUT they are a present for my DH for his 40th :D
    Otherwise there is no way i would spend that kind of money ( have been saving for ages for a decent present for him and the announcement of Prince playing here was like an answer to my present buying prayers :D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

applejam wrote: »
    Lol
    I'm still in shock, BUT they are a present for my DH for his 40th :D
    Otherwise there is no way i would spend that kind of money ( have been saving for ages for a decent present for him and the announcement of Prince playing here was like an answer to my present buying prayers :D)
    Ah no then it makes sense...ish!

Malahide Castle can be a very good gig with the right artist or a disaster with the wrong one (Monsieur Clapton, please stand up), I'd be fairly sure Prince can pull it off if
    1) he actually turns up this time and
    2) he's in the mood

He was excellent when I seen him in London and I wasn't a huge fan before that, but he definitely puts on one helluva show. Hope you gets your moneys worth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I've seen Prince 4 times and he was fantastic twice and average twice.

I've also bought tickets for 2 shows he cancelled, Cork show #2 1990 and Croke park 2008.

I bought a ticket for Malahide and it's a gamble how it'll pan out.
    I'm hoping (a) it stays dry and (b) it's not full of drunken zombies ala Slane.

When he's on form he's incredible. Outdoor in the RDS in 1992 was unforgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I've seen Prince about 5 times over the years and I've never been really disappointed. I have two Block B row A tickets for 135 euro a ticket. I've been checking Ticketmaster and there still seems to be loads of seats and standing available. I have a feeling he's going to cancel again because of ticket sales this time. I tried booking two seated tickets and there's still Block B, row P available. That doesn't sound too bad until you consider that the rows go A-Z, then AA,BB,CC etc, I know upto at least NN. Plenty of pit tickets and other standing still available too.

I think he dropped the ball this time unfortunately. Annoucing a gig of that size in May for the end of July?! :eek: By rights, this should've been advertised about a year in advance. Let's face it, he hasn't exactly been on the scene in a LONG time, and also, his audience demographic wouldn't be the type that'd be keen to stand in a field I reckon...I know the delay in announcing the gig was a lot to do with his outstanding fine to MCD for his last cancellation, but I just don't think he's left enough time for the tickets to sell. I hope to god he doesn't just appear for the sake of it to a half empty venue. I'll be in Block B...imagine the atmosphere in the seats with the crowd all up near the stage and surrounded by space! I'd prefer my money back than that...:(

I agree with what Philip42 has said, especially the comment about Prince's audience demographic not necessarily being keen to stand (or even sit) in a field. If decent seats and gold circle standing tickets are still available after several weeks, that's a bit unnerving. I think there is an element of panic creeping in about ticket sales on this one, even though it is generally accepted that a lot of people aren't necessarily buying as far in advance of gigs as they once did.
    There have been massive, full-page ads in all print media every weekend since it went on sale, with initial ads quoting glowing US concert reviews, and the more recent ones listing his European dates with big SOLD OUT signs over the three Dutch dates, presumably to show how urgent it is for Irish punters to grab tickets while they can. The problem is that they're all part of a jazz festival, and no other European dates seem to have sold out. Also, some people just don't like going to outdoor shows on principle, and would prefer an indoor arena show. There is no question that Prince in the O2 would have sold out in a matter of minutes.
    People may well stall until the week in question to see what the weather will be like, for fear that they end up with a repeat of Eric Clapton's rain-soaked and windswept Malahide debacle, which had the resultant appalling sound. The Prince show will be probably end up being respectably full, but nowhere near sold out.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

My buddy is seeing him at a festival in Poland that costs about 40 quid less than the most expensive Malahide ticket,its a ridiculous price,between that and his carry on last time he(and the promoters....what were they thinking??)has shot himself/themselves in the foot here,id love to go see him,i wouldnt go to the last one as i have no interest in stadium gigs and theyre always just a pain in the ass,the tickets this time are just too much for someone who may cancel because he cant be bothered turning up,id feel genuinely sorry for people if this gets cancelled due to poor sales but he'd deserve it

And in pre-recession times he was about 60 quid,now hes up to 140?? wtf? big mistake by Pod here

it'd be a real shame if he cancelled as he is a legend but I think it's going to happen unfortunately..tried looking for a best available seat again a few minutes ago on Ticketmaster and they're still on row P of block B...they were on that at the weekend...granted they've sold another ten tickets or so in the row! look at it this way, if they were doing a survey they'd take an average...he's sold 16 rows in a 40 row seat section...that's 40%..I would've thought the bulk of tickets would be sold in the first few days so I'm reckoning it doesn't bode well for his highness...I reckon this'll be the last time he'll come to Ireland if it goes ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Prince sends a shiver up my spine. He likes to do a "jive bunny" on many of his songs live e.g. You might be looking forward to Sign Of The Times, but he morphs it into another hit after a few minutes. Yuk

Philip42 wrote: »
    I would've thought the bulk of tickets would be sold in the first few days so I'm reckoning it doesn't bode well for his highness.

I agree. In relative terms, Prince went on sale very close to the date of the actual show. For a gig of that scale, I would have thought that the bulk of the tickets need to sell in the first 48 hours, with the remainder being bought intermittently by fair-weather fans over the next few weeks.
    It must be a cause for concern for the promoters that plenty of tickets for the pit are still available, an area that should surely have gone within minutes on the first day of sale, if the demand was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

not sure about buying a ticket for this as i only know a few tunes from my sisters tapes

anyone know if theres any chance of him playing that song rasberrie berray? is it in his set list these days?

thats a class song and so is purple rain but id want to be sure of hearing them before shelling out 40 or 50 quid to see him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

not sure about buying a ticket for this as i only know a few tunes from my sisters tapes

anyone know if theres any chance of him playing that song rasberrie berray? is it in his set list these days?

thats a class song and so is purple rain but id want to be sure of hearing them before shelling out 40 or 50 quid to see him

Setlists from this tour in the US

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/prince-13d6b9ed.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Try doubling the figures quoted, and you'll be getting close to the price.

aw sweet!

Try doubling the figures quoted, and you'll be getting close to the price.

aw crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'm going and it's my boyfriend who was the massive fan. I've been listening to his old albums and there's a surprising amount of songs I know on them. Like you, I'd only have been able to name about 3 songs, but there are loads I actually know! I'm really looking forward to the gig now!

Hope it doesn't get cancelled. Or is poorly attended. Or rains. Or is so windy the sound quality is bad...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Saw him in O2 London on his long stint there

Best Gig ever, without a doubt

maybe it was the intimacy, or just his mood

It was so good I'd nearly pay this if Malahide astle was a good gig

I was at one of these gigs back in 2007.

Agreed - one of the best concerts ever!

2 1/2 hours of great music from a great performer.

I still have the ticket stub somewhere - its was in the O2 in London and Prince picked the price of the cost of the tickets - not the promoter....

Price - £31.12

And you got his latest album for free when you went in. I doubt whoever is promoting it will do something like that......

" i got more hits than madonna's got kids " he belted out over the microphone on his 2nd encore!!!

Why would you hold an outdoor gig in Ireland in July when July has turned into a monsoon month. April and May are the new summer and June and July are very dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Funky G wrote: »
    Prince picked the price of the cost of the tickets - not the promoter....

Price - £31.12

And you got his latest album for free when you went in. I doubt whoever is promoting it will do something like that......

Sorry but Prince decides the cost by how much he charges the promoters,it was his choice to play for £31.12 in London,his choice to give the album away,and its his choice for the Dublin ticket prices because he has charged a massive fee from Pod for playing,this thing of "oh those greedy promoters!" is nonsense,all big name acts set the price,the promoter works from there

It was obvious from day one this would struggle,its just too much for someone who badly burned the Irish music fan a couple of years ago(with no explanation whatsoever)

Well, I hope it's cancelled or packed...in between the two would be horrible...half empty but goes ahead..no atmosphere, raining and windy...that'd be like something off Father Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Sorry but Prince decides the cost by how much he charges the promoters,it was his choice to play for £31.12 in London,his choice to give the album away,and its his choice for the Dublin ticket prices because he has charged a massive fee from Pod for playing,this thing of "oh those greedy promoters!" is nonsense,all big name acts set the price,the promoter works from there

It was obvious from day one this would struggle,its just too much for someone who badly burned the Irish music fan a couple of years ago(with no explanation whatsoever)

Brother lives in London - afaik Price DID pick the price for the tickets. He did an interview with the Evening Standard. The free album i think is called 31/12 so he tied that in with the ticket price. hence the price £31.12. He did 19 shows in the O2 in London. Every set was different to each night. The only thing was that security was very strict on taking photos / recording on the night.

And yes the promoters here are greedy and they will use the usual excuses of high cost of insurance, security, doing business here etc etc, hence the high price for the tickets, which is true to a certain extent, but prices starting at €90 is a bit steep.

• Advertisement

The thick gullible Irish will pay whatever you ask of them

Advertisement