Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Funky G wrote: »
    Brother lives in London - afaik Price DID pick the price for the tickets. He did an interview with the Evening Standard. The free album i think is called 31/12 so he tied that in with the ticket price. hence the price £31.12. He did 19 shows in the O2 in London. Every set was different to each night. The only thing was that security was very strict on taking photos / recording on the night.

And yes the promoters here are greedy and they will use the usual excuses of high cost of insurance, security, doing business here etc etc, hence the high price for the tickets, which is true to a certain extent, but prices starting at €90 is a bit steep.

Thats what i was saying,the price is up to Prince,whether its 31.21 or 150.00 or whatever,it comes down to what he charges them,if he wanted it to be 31.21 in Dublin it would be,it isnt because he wants a million a night(or whatever,its a bloody lot!)if Prince slashed his fee in half the cheapest ticket would be 45(roughly)-75(again,roughly)if a band wants ticket prices lowered they can,Irelands known as being a soft touch when it comes to live music,or at least it used to be,people were willing to pay pretty much anything an artist charged up until recently,didnt Barbara Streisand charge 4 or 500 a few years back? something crazy anyway.......

Thats all i was saying,of course promoters are out to get what they can but if Prince asks for a million quid a show then they have to charge accordingly,if i was behind this gig id have been very nervous about asking for 140 quid from people,id have been much happier keeping it around the 60 quid mark......i think concerts will be a lot cheaper next year,or else some artists wont bother with us,the amount of big names who are struggling to sell this year has been amazing,im sure it will be a big wake up call to all concerned for next years gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hear the ads on the radio alot (ala neil diamond)

is there a backlash after the 02 cancellation a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I was at one of the gigs in the O2 in London, sorry to be anal but the ticket price was £31.21 after the name of his album out at that time, not £31.12!! :D

I was up in the gods and almost had vertigo, the height of the millennium dome is like nothing we have here. Managed to blag my way down to the front and had an amazing night.

I'd love to go this time buuuutt I hate Malahide Castle as a venue. Saw Radiohead and Eric Clapton there, no atmosphere whatsoever. I've seen Prince outdoors as well and I really think his sound and visuals are far more suited to indoor venues. Two Prince gigs at the O2 Dublin (despite all its flaws) would sell out within days and be a really classy night. He's playing the Hop Farm in Kent tomorrow so that should give some idea of set list.

This whole thing has an awful stench of the Barbra Streisands about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

does anyone know how ticket sales are going?

i believe pitt sold out but not sure about the rest. i've heard rumours of poor sales and the promoter is thinking of moving the gig to Electric picnic?

anyone else heard that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

That can't be true, since:
    1. Electric Picnic on is a month after Prince's original date, and there's no way he'd come back to Ireland just to do one random show. Look what happened the last time that a show in Ireland was his only date.
    2. People bought tickets for Prince on the understanding that it would be in Malahide, not Stradbally. A change of venue (and date) would potentially cause havoc for those who have already bought tickets and the promoters would have to offer refunds, which is the last thing they'd want to do.
    The pit does seem to have sold out over a week ago, but that should have happened much earlier if it was going to be a benchmark for how popular the show would be.
    New print media ads are now advertising it as a Greatest Hits show, which I don't think is accurate. The same thing happened in the last few days before Yusuf (Cat Stevens) in the O2. They started stating it was a Greatest Hits show (which it wasn't) in an effort to drum up more business, and then people got disgruntled when he played more recent songs that they didn't know. (There was also that whole Moon Shadow musical debacle, but that's going way off the point).

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

That can't be true, since:
    1. Electric Picnic on is a month after Prince's original date, and there's no way he'd come back to Ireland just to do one random show. Look what happened the last time that a show in Ireland was his only date.
    2. People bought tickets for Prince on the understanding that it would be in Malahide, not Stradbally. A change of venue (and date) would potentially cause havoc for those who have already bought tickets and the promoters would have to offer refunds, which is the last thing they'd want to do.
    The pit does seem to have sold out over a week ago, but that should have happened much earlier if it was going to be a benchmark for how popular the show would be.
    New print media ads are now advertising it as a Greatest Hits show, which I don't think is accurate. The same thing happened in the last few days before Yusuf (Cat Stevens) in the O2. They started stating it was a Greatest Hits show (which it wasn't) in an effort to drum up more business, and then people got disgruntled when he played more recent songs that they didn't know. (There was also that whole Moon Shadow musical debacle, but that's going way off the point).
    3652104_std.jpg
    Sneaky Sneaky Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

interesting, makes sense when you put it like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I go to Malahide castle every day to walk my dogs, was chatting to 1 of the guys who works there at the weekend, he said he'd be surprised if gig happened as not a shred of work has been done to the venue yet. Last time they had gigs there they started work 4 weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This thread is making me :(

I've booked a hotel and everything and arranged to meet up with family in Dublin. Hope it goes ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If low ticket sales mean it's not feasible to put it on in Malahide, the easiest solution is to move the gig to The O2.

• Advertisement

If low ticket sales mean it's not feasible to put it on in Malahide, the easiest solution is to move the gig to The O2.

So what's the capacity of Malahide? 35,000?? If they've sold 15,000 then they're screwed for the O2 as too small

Slightly off topic, just checked to see if the O2 is available on that night, was shocked to see the next gig on there is Sept 14th wit Dolly Parton, talk about under utilising a venue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

POD facebook page confirmed licence granted for event yesterday and that gig is definitley going ahead. Reviews of his shows so far in Europe have been exceptional with 2.5hr sets on average per gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

scudzilla wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, just checked to see if the O2 is available on that night, was shocked to see the next gig on there is Sept 14th wit Dolly Parton, talk about under utilising a venue!!

Duran Duran were supposed to be playing there tomorrow night - it's been postponed - but I agree that's a massive gap in the venue's schedule.
    To be fair, there are times when the O2 can have events on five or six days of the week. Plus, in the summer, a lot of O2-level acts are on the festival circuit and not touring on their own.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

scudzilla wrote: »
    So what's the capacity of Malahide? 35,000?? If they've sold 15,000 then they're screwed for the O2 as too small

I don't know the capacity of Malahide Castle but if we assume it's around 30,000 and they've currently sold half that then it ought to go ahead.

Looks like it's a go, took dog for a walk in the grounds earlier.

Must say though, the seats are gonna be some way from the stage.

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNTAuanBn.jpg

I'll throw in the binoculars then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

How can you tell when theres no stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Trassy

Can't wait for this gig! Can anytime tell me about the venue itself...which requires less walking, the bus park or the car park? I only ask cos I'm 8mths pregnant (am a big fan) and don't know which mode if transport to take. I'm coming from Louth. Thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I cant wait for this gig! Do you think hes going to play his Greatest Hits or what kind of stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I cant wait for this gig! Do you think hes going to play his Greatest Hits or what kind of stuff?

Set list from the Paris gig that happened a few weeks ago.
    1. Intro [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    2. 1999 [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    3. I Feel for You [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    4. Controversy [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    5. Sexy Dancer / Le Freak [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (Chic cover)
    6. Controversy [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    7. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    8. Take Me With U [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    9. Anotherloverholenyohead [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    10. Guitar [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    11. Raspberry Beret [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    12. All Day, All Night [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    13. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    14. The One U Wanna C [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    15. Sometimes It Snows in April [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    16. Mountains [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    17. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (The Jacksons cover)
    18. Everyday People [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
    19. I Wanna Take You Higher [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
    20. Long Train Runnin' [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (The Doobie Brothers cover)
    21. Play That Funky Music [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
      (Wild Cherry cover)
    22. Purple Rain [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    23. Kiss / Miss You / Theives In The Temples / Partyman / All Day, All Night / Honky Tonk Women [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    24. All The Critics Love U In Paris [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]
    25. A Love Bizarre [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Play Video[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

No word yet on Support Acts ?

I know Janelle Monáe has been supporting him in the past ..( she was great in the Tripod a few weeks ago ). In Paris he had Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings who are a great old school Soul act.

What time does the gig start? It says gate at 4pm. Never been to a gig like this so don't know what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Malari wrote: »
    What time does the gig start? It says gate at 4pm. Never been to a gig like this so don't know what to expect!

Usually the main act doesn't come on stage til 9pm but Eric Clapton came on at 8.10 in Malahide Castle and Bon Jovi two weeks ago in RDS at 8.05.

If Prince is playing 2.5 hour sets then expect him out no later than 8.30.

Hope you enjoy the gig - the crowd is likely to be small at that ticket price so if you're standing down the front you'll have a great night.

Don't forget raincoat, money for junk food and tissues for the toilet! Let us know how you get on - it's great to see the young 'uns have great musical taste :)

Usually the main act doesn't come on stage til 9pm but Eric Clapton came on at 8.10 in Malahide Castle and Bon Jovi two weeks ago in RDS at 8.05.

If Prince is playing 2.5 hour sets then expect him out no later than 8.30.

Hope you enjoy the gig - the crowd is likely to be small at that ticket price so if you're standing down the front you'll have a great night.

Don't forget raincoat, money for junk food and tissues for the toilet! Let us know how you get on - it's great to see the young 'uns have great musical taste :)

Thanks, I suppose I did sound like a giddy teen there, but I was WELL old enough to party in 1999 ;-) I usually am not into the mainstream, big artists that play huge venues! But I am very excited about Prince. We have seats, but might have to venture down to the stage for better atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Malari wrote: »
    Thanks, I suppose I did sound like a giddy teen there, but I was WELL old enough to party in 1999 ;-) I usually am not into the mainstream, big artists that play huge venues! But I am very excited about Prince. We have seats, but might have to venture down to the stage for better atmosphere!

You'll need a PIT ticket to venture up front. I hear the seating is up and area is cordened off already. Looks like they are expecting a crowd of 15/20k. Smaller the better IMO as everyone will have a great view. 1 week to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kieronon

I've heard Hypnotic Brass Ensemble are supporting, can anyone confirm this? Hope they are as they are amazing live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cheekychick71

I was just wondering who was supporting Prince? Great to read all the threads, thanks for the updates. I am so looking forward to this concert. I had tickets for the last gig he cancelled and was so disappointed. Roll on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Whats the best way to get to the event from Dublin City ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Whats the best way to get to the event from Dublin City ?

DART is probably the easiest.

Advertisement