Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Am actually so excited about this it's getting silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

*snip*

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭doh777

To ask.

Just bought a ticket on ticketmaster.

Is one to collect the tickets at the venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Super excited now! This time tomorrow should be well revved up!

I'm picking up my ticket at the box office,which says on ticketmaster is beside the entrance (assume thats the entrance down by the dart).

Get ready to get your funk on!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Deisler wrote: »
    Prince due on stage 8/8.15pm

thanks for posting this - how sure are you ? I haven't seen it anywhere and only other rumour i heard was 7.30 ... i'd hate to get it wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The curfew at Malahide is VERY strict, 10.30 i think, so if he's gonna do a 3hr set as his band have said then that means a 7.30 start.

what's annoying me is the amount of work done at the venue for the gig and they're only gonna utilise it the once.

I walk my dog everyday there and was down there a couple of hours ago, surely the expense they've gone to (And it look's fcukin awesome) they could have done a series of outdoor gigs there with the same set up

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

me and the missus staying in lower gardiner street....would connolly station be best place for us to get to malahide from or is there a better way ?

coolegrain wrote: »
    me and the missus staying in lower gardiner street....would connolly station be best place for us to get to malahide from or is there a better way ?

Connoly would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

scudzilla wrote: »
    what's annoying me is the amount of work done at the venue for the gig and they're only gonna utilise it the once.

I walk my dog everyday there and was down there a couple of hours ago, surely the expense they've gone to (And it look's fcukin awesome) they could have done a series of outdoor gigs there with the same set up

That would make sense, but Aiken/POD have nowhere near the ability of mcd to get in big acts, apart from Springsteen, a good bit of the ticket price must be due to the venue only being used for one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 vickser

Does anyone know if cameras are allowed at the gig?

vickser wrote: »
    Does anyone know if cameras are allowed at the gig?

Normal rules I'd say, if it's got a changeable lens then no, small one's 'should' be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭karlyk1

Think positive, there shall be no (purple) rain. Can't wait for this now! :D However, I'll have to get funky without the aid of beer cos I'm driving, and I don't fancy spending 3 or 4 feckin euro for a lemonade or water. So can anyone tell me what the latest rules are in regards to bringing a plastic bottle of water or two? Will the goons take them off me at the gate? Haven't been at an outdoor gig in so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Got my ticket today! :D
    karlyk1 wrote:
    So can anyone tell me what the latest rules are in regards to bringing a plastic bottle of water or two? Will the goons take them off me at the gate? Haven't been at an outdoor gig in so long!

From outdoor gigs I've been to lately, they don't let you bring anything (not even an empty bottle for filling at taps :mad: ) but they have a few points with taps for drinking water. That's how it was at Radiohead in Malahide Castle in 2008 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Trassy wrote: »
    Can't wait for this gig! Can anytime tell me about the venue itself...which requires less walking, the bus park or the car park? I only ask cos I'm 8mths pregnant (am a big fan) and don't know which mode if transport to take. I'm coming from Louth. Thanks! :-)

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm almost 7 months pregnant and am wondering if the dart is a long walk or would a bus be a better option? I will only be going for the main act so would be afraid that parking will be all gone by 7. I won standing tickets, so gonna be spending long enough on my feet as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I'd be more worried about getting home from Malahide to Louth,the local roads will be jammed up to hell and back,and what train service's will be runing to Louth after 11pm???Taxi may be your best plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I'd be more worried about getting home from Malahide to Louth,the local roads will be jammed up to hell and back,and what train service's will be runing to Louth after 11pm???Taxi may be your best plan.

There is a train back to louth after the concert leaving Malahide at 11:39pm

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Trassy wrote: »
    Can't wait for this gig! Can anytime tell me about the venue itself...which requires less walking, the bus park or the car park? I only ask cos I'm 8mths pregnant (am a big fan) and don't know which mode if transport to take. I'm coming from Louth. Thanks! :-)

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm almost 7 months pregnant and am wondering if the dart is a long walk or would a bus be a better option? I will only be going for the main act so would be afraid that parking will be all gone by 7. I won standing tickets, so gonna be spending long enough on my feet as it is!

I'd say the buses put on for the purpose of the gig would get you the closest as I imagine they'll park in the malahide grounds carpark. They run from the quays in Dublin though...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

the last train back to connolly seems to be 22.41....too early to make it after the gig.....whats the best way for us to get back to centre of dublin after the gig ?

thanks for any replies

I'm not with that girl, but was just wondering the same question. I'm based in Dublin. My brother thought it was a long enough walk from the Dart to Malahide Castle from what he remembers of the last time he was there, so didn't want to do it that way if we'd be walking for ages.

• Advertisement

coolegrain wrote: »
    the last train back to connolly seems to be 22.41....too early to make it after the gig.....whats the best way for us to get back to centre of dublin after the gig ?

thanks for any replies

22.45, 23.01, 23.19, 23.41, 23.50, 00.01, 00.14, 00.31 and 00.41 Malahide to Dublin Connolly - These are addition darts to Connolly according to http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Pop legend Prince is on a mission to Ireland to prove a point to his fans, he has told band-mates.

Organisers behind this weekend's 30,000-capacity gig at Malahide Castle, in north Dublin, said the performer is intent on making up for cancelling his Croke Park date three years ago at short notice.

Robbie Butler, of promoter POD concerts, said he was talking to Prince's band and the only problem they expect this time round is getting the genre-defying genius to wrap up the show.

"They said he wants to come to Dublin to prove a point," he said. "He just wants to come and do a great show."

Mr Butler said Prince phoned the concert promoters directly and said he wanted to come to Ireland.

He added: "The only problem will be getting him off the stage."

The 52-year-old singer has been playing to rave reviews during his latest European tour which kicked off in Paris three weeks ago. He has warned audiences to bring foot spray because "it's going to be funky".

The Malahide Castle show on Saturday will be his first in Ireland for nearly a decade and the biggest ever event in the sprawling seaside estate.

The set-list is expected to include many of his greatest hits including Kiss, Purple Rain, U Got That Look, Raspberry Beret, Alphabet Street, Diamonds and Pearls and Cream.

He is planning at least a three-hour set, said organisers.

LINKY: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/prince-axed-show-151551430.html

He may be planning a 3 hr set list, but everything I've seen written about
    his latest concert (Thurs, Cologne) suggest it was a disaster. Apparently there were major sound problems and he played for 90 mins or less. He did not
    play a lot of his best known songs:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2011/lanxess-arena-cologne-germany-2bd0a4b6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Pop legend Prince is on a mission to Ireland to prove a point to his fans, he has told band-mates.

Organisers behind this weekend's 30,000-capacity gig at Malahide Castle, in north Dublin, said the performer is intent on making up for cancelling his Croke Park date three years ago at short notice.

Robbie Butler, of promoter POD concerts, said he was talking to Prince's band and the only problem they expect this time round is getting the genre-defying genius to wrap up the show.

"They said he wants to come to Dublin to prove a point," he said. "He just wants to come and do a great show."

Mr Butler said Prince phoned the concert promoters directly and said he wanted to come to Ireland.

He added: "The only problem will be getting him off the stage."

The 52-year-old singer has been playing to rave reviews during his latest European tour which kicked off in Paris three weeks ago. He has warned audiences to bring foot spray because "it's going to be funky".

The Malahide Castle show on Saturday will be his first in Ireland for nearly a decade and the biggest ever event in the sprawling seaside estate.

The set-list is expected to include many of his greatest hits including Kiss, Purple Rain, U Got That Look, Raspberry Beret, Alphabet Street, Diamonds and Pearls and Cream.

He is planning at least a three-hour set, said organisers.

LINKY: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/prince-axed-show-151551430.html

his latest concert (Thurs, Cologne) suggest it was a disaster. Apparently there were major sound problems and he played for 90 mins or less. He did not

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2011/lanxess-arena-cologne-germany-2bd0a4b6.html

It's weird that you post this. I was just thinking last night that Prince needs to pay more respect to his hard core fans and play more of his lesser (and better) material than just the big sing along hits. The Hop Farm Festival set list he was definitely playing to the crowd at large.

Personally I miss the greasy menacing Prince of "Computer Blue" and "Automatic" rather than the coiffed cheeky chappie of recent years, but I'd say tonight's audience will want the big hits with a few jamming sessions. Not a 53 year old man in a thong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Mrs. Shuttleworth, you've raised an interesting point here.
    There are two ways I think this show will pan out:
    (1) he does the "Greatest Hits", which will probably appease the majority, and will certainly deliver what the promoters have promised, but may leave hardcore fans feeling short-changed.
    (2) he does what the hell he likes, and doesn't pander to the greatest hits brigade, on the basis that the die-hards who were so disappointed with the Croke Park cancellation will get a dream set list, i.e. some hits, but also lots of superior, "obscure" tracks.

The problem is that with a catalogue so extensive, either approach won't please everybody. The Dublin show is the only date that has been billed as a Greatest Hits show, and - as I have commented here before - anyone can tell that was a cynical attempt on the promoter's part to drum up more business for the show by trying to lure in fair-weather fans.

The Hop Farm setlist is the only show that has been laden with the most well-known songs (i.e., singles). The vast majority of the European shows have been split between hits (never more than half the set) and (for the want of a better term) album tracks.

If a setlist similar to Hop Farm is done in Malahide, it's fair to say that it'll be a triumph, as casual fans will be delighted, and hardcore fans aren't really going to be churlish by complaining that he didn't do any weird stuff.
    However, if it's the other way, and the setlist is no different to the average European show, then a lot of casual fans may feel they were duped into going to a "Greatest Hits" show that was nothing of the sort.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

(1) he does the "Greatest Hits", which will probably appease the majority, and will certainly deliver what the promoters have promised, but may leave hardcore fans feeling short-changed.
    (2) he does what the hell he likes, and doesn't pander to the greatest hits brigade, on the basis that the die-hards who were so disappointed with the Croke Park cancellation will get a dream set list, i.e. some hits, but also lots of superior, "obscure" tracks.

The problem is that with a catalogue so extensive, either approach won't please everybody. The Dublin show is the only date that has been billed as a Greatest Hits show, and - as I have commented here before - anyone can tell that was a cynical attempt on the promoter's part to drum up more business for the show by trying to lure in fair-weather fans.

The Hop Farm setlist is the only show that has been laden with the most well-known songs (i.e., singles). The vast majority of the European shows have been split between hits (never more than half the set) and (for the want of a better term) album tracks.

If a setlist similar to Hop Farm is done in Malahide, it's fair to say that it'll be a triumph, as casual fans will be delighted, and hardcore fans aren't really going to be churlish by complaining that he didn't do any weird stuff.
    However, if it's the other way, and the setlist is no different to the average European show, then a lot of casual fans may feel they were duped into going to a "Greatest Hits" show that was nothing of the sort.

Interesting post, but it's a no brainer really - it's about money and contracts.
    If the promoter is advertising "Greatest Hits" and Prince doesn't deliver, then people who paid for tickets can sue the promoter. It stands to
    reason that the promoter will have a contract with Prince which is quite
    specific about the set list. I'm expecting "Greatest Hits" and a few tracks thrown in to appeal to "hardcore" fans, and one surprise.

To be honest, after the Cologne fiasco, if the little purple one could get Amy Winehouse up there, I'm sure he would.

+1

Just had a read of the thread on the Prince fansite about Thursday nights gig. Seems indeed to have been pretty bad.

Whether he goes for option 1 or option 2, he better make sure the sound is good. What would concern me it's that the two times I've seen him, the sound hasn't been great, and I say that as a rabid fan. There's always been a lot of distortion and feedback.

Someone else on that thread raised an interesting point that Prince at this stage should be experimenting with the likes of dubstep, indie and electro. It would give his career a massive boost and he'd make it his own, like jazz pioneer Herbie Hancock did in the late 70s when disco and synths came around. He's almost more famous now for future disco than he is for his original craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Someone else on that thread raised an interesting point that Prince at this stage should be experimenting with the likes of dubstep, indie and electro. It would give his career a massive boost and he'd make it his own, like jazz pioneer Herbie Hancock did in the late 70s when disco and synths came around. He's almost more famous now for future disco than he is for his original craft.

Well everybody in the world making music should be doing that, but so few are bothered to push. And Prince, being Prince, knows how good he is at the music he makes, maybe he's not bothered to push anymore. Not everyone can be, or is arsed with working to be, a Herbie Hancock. I'd absolutely love to hear Prince working with more current music styles and technology, but isn't he pushing that "Support live music"/"No loops on this stage" stuff? (Er, Prince, remember you made Sign "O" The Times? :rolleyes: )

And it's a super shame that gigs aren't about going to see musicians play their music anymore... I want to hear the set Prince wants to play :pac:

Buzz_Killington.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

El Pr0n wrote: »

Well everybody in the world making music should be doing that, but so few are bothered to push. And Prince, being Prince, knows how good he is at the music he makes, maybe he's not bothered to push anymore. Not everyone can be, or is arsed with working to be, a Herbie Hancock. I'd absolutely love to hear Prince working with more current music styles and technology, but isn't he pushing that "Support live music"/"No loops on this stage" stuff? (Er, Prince, remember you made Sign "O" The Times? :rolleyes: )

And it's a super shame that gigs aren't about going to see musicians play their music anymore... I want to hear the set Prince wants to play :pac:

That's gas if Prince has said this - he's defined by that synth-drum he's been working for 30 years.

It's really weird to say this, but as a hardcore fan most of his big hits leave me cold. Prince's finest hour was in 1984 when he took off the disco shoes and put one foot into the hard rock genre. I don't think anything he's done since then has matched that period.

There was a real "Sing-A-Long-A-Prince" quality to the last gig he did that I was at. If he doesn't expand he's slipping dangerously into George Formby territory.

Edit: Prince covering "Leaning On A Lamppost" - crikey I can actually visualise that!!!

Advertisement