Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭coolegrain

Oral Slang wrote: »
    22.45, 23.01, 23.19, 23.41, 23.50, 00.01, 00.14, 00.31 and 00.41 Malahide to Dublin Connolly - These are addition darts to Connolly according to http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1170

thanks a million for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Hour delay to get into the gig :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Can someone point me in a direction to where I mite get cheaper tkts? Touts or adverts.ie or too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can't believe I am not going to this concert! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Listening to the whole thing from my back garden. Not a massive Prince fan but I do like a lot of his stuff, he sounds on top form tonight! From where I am it sounds amazing and the crowd are loving it! I'll be surprised if people come back saying this wasn't a good concert, it sounds brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Listening to the whole thing from my back garden. Not a massive Prince fan but I do like a lot of his stuff, he sounds on top form tonight! From where I am it sounds amazing and the crowd are loving it! I'll be surprised if people come back saying this wasn't a good concert, it sounds brilliant!

My better half is at home too listening to it, says it sounds ok. Just started to piss down though i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

py2006 wrote: »
    Can't believe I am not going to this concert! :(

Why? Had you previously been led to believe that you were going? Did you have a ticket? If not, I can't see how it would be that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

that was absolutely brilliant. prince is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Just back from an amazing gig but a pissed off over a few things.He delayed his sound check so that the gates only opened at 6.40 into the gig itself.we had to wait out side for ages first,He came on at 8.10 and finished at 10.20 .So much for all his interviews stateing that he would go for at least 3 hours and 8 if he felt like it.Why the medely of some of his hits .Play the whole song ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Was the best gig I have ever attended and I've been to a few and I'm not even that big a fan but man he ripped that guitar to shreds and the energy in his performance was everywhere, there was even a NIN style vibe with a kind of industrial style groove at one point, he was a musical force unto himself and that was self evident so I really enjoyed it. The only thing I'd criticise is that he was playing a bit of Rollercoaster and I would have liked to have heard to whole thing because it was so funky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

argentum wrote: »
    Just back from an amazing gig but a pissed off over a few things.He delayed his sound check so that the gates only opened at 6.40 into the gig itself.we had to wait out side for ages first,He came on at 8.10 and finished at 10.20 .So much for all his interviews stateing that he would go for at least 3 hours and 8 if he felt like it.Why the medely of some of his hits .Play the whole song ffs.

your watch must have been off as he finished at 22.40/45 not quite 3 hours but quite long set by most standards. Plus Hypnotic Brass Ensemble were pretty good and he hasn't had support for most gigs. The medly was his teaser so to speak. (he does it every gig on this tour, because he never plays the same set like the U2s etc, twice in a row). He plays 30-60secs 0f the songs he could've played had he not have done covers. The man has balls and talent to burn.

Anyway, absolutely delighted, he got horrible reviews for his cologne gig the other day (which is why he was keeping the crowd behind for the sound-check by the way). He played pretty much everything we could hope for, the band w as tight, sound was good and the crowd was really into it (especially after the first 20 mins). Proper showman, guitar maestro (horribly underrated at this) and amazing tunes, Gig of the year contender for sure

Was the best gig I have ever attended and I've been to a few and I'm not even that big a fan but man he ripped that guitar to shreds and the energy in his performance was everywhere, there was even a NIN style vibe with a kind of industrial style groove at one point, he was a musical force unto himself and that was self evident so I really enjoyed it. The only thing I'd criticise is that he was playing a bit of Rollercoaster and I would have liked to have heard to whole thing because it was so funky.

Sorry for double post, but that's it precisely. He was amazing on the geetar.plus the wee man has moves, the ladies loved it where we were, they thought little of my dancing

scudzilla wrote: »
    My better half is at home too listening to it, says it sounds ok. Just started to piss down though i think

Triple post. Rained for no more than 10 minutes, and mostly during Purple Rain too conveniently enough, It was as though he meant it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There are a view videos from last nights concert on youtube but the sound quality isn't great:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Prince%2C+dublin&aq=f

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

What an absolutely amazing gig, the guy is a legend.
    After coming off the back of an absolute shi** Bon Jovi gig I was nervous as to how this would go.

It was stunning from start to finish (granted we left a little early to get home)
    Sound was stunning (Bon Jovi and RDS pay attention).
    Being a guitarist myself I was amazed how good he actually is, highly underrated.
    Set list was perfect and I heard all the songs I wanted to bar a couple.
    All in all a fantastic night, couldnt have asked for more.

Oh and his female band members were very easy on the eye which always helps and by god could they play..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

I've watched a few of prince's gigs online and it can be hit and miss. This was definitely a hit. It was around 2 hours 15, the "rain" was only a few minutes of light drizzle. The crowd were buzzing. It was relatively short, given the rumours and the gate opening times of 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Weepsie wrote: »
    your watch must have been off as he finished at 22.40/45 not quite 3 hours but quite long set by most standards.

No Weepsie he was definitely gone from the stage by before 10.30, so I'd say your watch was off rather than the other poster. He played about 2 hours 15 mins.
    Good aul gig overall, but again, would have preferred less medleys & for him to play the songs straight through. That & less of the funky bits.

Major downside of the night was after the gig. Gardai told us all the buses were diverted & to head into Malahide Village. We were at the 42 busstop from 10.40 until 11.50 & no bus came. Thankfully a lifesaver of a Dublin Bus Inspector told us that the 42 was diverted to the other side of Malahide, but at this stage we'd missed the last one. There were 3 of us stuck there, so lo & behold he gave us a lift in his car. Hats off to him, standing around for 70 mins waiting on a bus, while 7 months pregnant wasn't fun, but he really saved the night for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

4th time seeing Prince and definitely his most casual fan friendly gig, but not complaining - he was on form last night.

Also a big Sheila E. fan so thrilled with "A Love Bizarre" making the set list towards the end, made my night.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Pretty sure that set list of slightly off

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just to +1 the sound quality. I was on site from 9am and they worked their asses off on the sound check (3hrs+) - the result being that sound was one the best I have ever heard at an outdoor venue.

Plus the fact that he played a blistering gig (jamming with Hypnotic Brass was an amazing session) - I'm a very casual 'respector' of Prince, but man -"play that funky music" had me shaking this (man in 40s) ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Saw him at North Sea Jazz festival a couple of weeks ago, absolutely amazing. He had some amount of guests - Maceo Parker, Janelle Monae, Larry Graham and others.

Did Maceo play the other night?

Unbelievable musician and showman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

7cb2c173d7ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

What a gig! This was my first time seeing him live and it was worth the wait! Set list was fantastic and even with an injured leg I was dancing like crazy:D The sound was perfect, other event organisers should take note for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

What the hell was the deal with paying €89 for a ticket and being kept a mile back from the stage...??? I heard about the "pit" area being a reserved zone but had imagined it being just a few rows deep, not taking up most of the main central area. Can't believe no-one has mentioned so far.

Spoilt the gig big time; rip-off Ireland is clearly still alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I thought he was amazing but I was in the pit, well worth the extra €10 imo.

Here is a clip of Purple Rain, the sound quality is fairly good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZJpNkmhazs

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Best gig of my life, it was truly amazing. Not one hiccup throughout the whole gig twas great.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Great gig, sound was amazing, nothing to complain about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Chelon wrote: »
    What the hell was the deal with paying €89 for a ticket and being kept a mile back from the stage...??? I heard about the "pit" area being a reserved zone but had imagined it being just a few rows deep, not taking up most of the main central area. Can't believe no-one has mentioned so far.

Spoilt the gig big time; rip-off Ireland is clearly still alive and well.
    Interesting pit size alright. It wasn't full either and could have been well smaller. Sounds were great though. Had a great time!:)

Advertisement