Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

That was my 5th Prince gig and I agree with everyone else, it was fantastic. Sound quality was great and seriously, has the man aged a day in 30 years? I don't think so.
    3rd time at a gig in Malahide castle and it's got to be the best outdoor venue in the country, literally 10 min walk to civilisation and the train St.
    On another note, People keep talking about the cancelled Croke park show, nobody remembers the cancelled Cork show in 1990. He was due to play 2 shows but the 2nd was cancelled. I had tickets for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

poundhound wrote: »
    That was my 5th Prince gig and I agree with everyone else, it was fantastic. Sound quality was great and seriously, has the man aged a day in 30 years? I don't think so.
    3rd time at a gig in Malahide castle and it's got to be the best outdoor venue in the country, literally 10 min walk to civilisation and the train St.
    On another note, People keep talking about the cancelled Croke park show, nobody remembers the cancelled Cork show in 1990. He was due to play 2 shows but the 2nd was cancelled. I had tickets for both.

He did have a full facelift nip tuc etc a year ago appox.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 zuluman

big thanks to the kind lady who gave me her spare Prince ticket for free. God bless you!

A rare gesture in today's world.

It was an amazing concert - the best I have ever seen him perform.

Such a downer today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't suppose anyone has video footage of the girl that planted a kiss on him when he brought people up on the stage? She's a friend of a friend and no sign on You Tube yet, would love to find footage for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 purplerain1

i was in the pit over on the left side,would have liked if he had moved out to the sides a bit more but it was a very good gig and he sounded and looked great.It was my third time seeing him, he still has it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Were the rumours about a Pod after party true?

I was in Twisted Pepper and they had a telly with Purple Rain on next to the DJ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Undoubtably, they ran out of beer backstage :)

Me, I was too tired at that stage to find out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I've been to every one of his gigs and hundreds of other gigs. I can firmly say, this was the best gig I was ever at...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

El Pr0n wrote: »

I was in Twisted Pepper and they had a telly with Purple Rain on next to the DJ :pac:

I was in the Pod until 3:30am and no sign. Occasionally the DJ played Prince songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was in the seated area and the sound quality wasn't great. The stands were over too far from the stage I think. Anyway, we got up and stood down further after an hour and it was much louder and much better atmosphere. Brilliant gig, although it's impossible to hear everything you like. He's a really outstanding performer and even the jamming on the songs I didn't know was really enjoyable and funky. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Chelon wrote: »
    What the hell was the deal with paying €89 for a ticket and being kept a mile back from the stage...??? I heard about the "pit" area being a reserved zone but had imagined it being just a few rows deep, not taking up most of the main central area. Can't believe no-one has mentioned so far.

Spoilt the gig big time; rip-off Ireland is clearly still alive and well.
    I didn't go for that reason. €135 odd quid for seated tickets? When he costs half that in the UK? Prince or no Prince, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The Nal wrote: »
    Chelon wrote: »
    What the hell was the deal with paying €89 for a ticket and being kept a mile back from the stage...??? I heard about the "pit" area being a reserved zone but had imagined it being just a few rows deep, not taking up most of the main central area. Can't believe no-one has mentioned so far.

Spoilt the gig big time; rip-off Ireland is clearly still alive and well.
    I didn't go for that reason. €135 odd quid for seated tickets? When he costs half that in the UK? Prince or no Prince, no thanks.

+1

Paid 31.21 sterling to sit a few rows from him in the O2 London a few years back. Just couldn't justify paying the ticket prices for Malahide.

After sitting on a pole at Bon Jovi for 91.25 Euro, not again.

poundhound wrote: »

What was that Cork show like if I may ask. I begged my mother to go but wasn't allowed :((

conorcan2 wrote: »
    I was in the Pod until 3:30am and no sign. Occasionally the DJ played Prince songs.

Thank Christ, I can sleep easy now :P

+1

Paid 31.21 sterling to sit a few rows from him in the O2 London a few years back. Just couldn't justify paying the ticket prices for Malahide.

No offence, but thats your own fault for going to see Bon Jovi!! :p

I wouldn't go to see them if they paid me 91.25 Euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Paid the (hefty) premium for the stand cos the missus isn't the tallest and she was afraid she wouldn't see a thing. Big disappointment at arrival, the stands were a mile off and probably the worst spot in the house. We forgot about the stand and got up close instead. Could have had that for 50 quid less on an already hefty ticket price. Anyway don't want to sound like that's the one thing I'll remember from this gig cos the moment he came on I couldn't care less. He was great, absolutely great. What a dude.
    Wasn't an all out fan of his before. Liked him enough for the funk legend that he is but wouldnt call myself a fan as such. I'm converted now, he's a legend.

+1

No offence, but thats your own fault for going to see Bon Jovi!! :p

I wouldn't go to see them if they paid me 91.25 Euro!

Not the point. I love Prince and hate Bon Jovi - got roped into it by a relative.

Still wouldn't pay 135 to see Prince in a field, and to be fair to Jovi they played for over three hours.

and to be fair to Jovi they played for over three hours.

Thats not a good thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Thats not a good thing!!

It is if you're a fan of the band, fool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Prince was 85 not 135.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Prince was 85 not 135.

Could have sworn that Ticketbastard had price range 89.50 to 135

Yep, seated tickets were up to 135.

Malari wrote: »
    Yep, seated tickets were up to 135.

+ 7 quid booking fee.

So for two people = 284+transport+food+booze etc = The guts of €400 for a couple of hours.

Return flights to Sardinia with Ryanair for September are €210. I know because I just booked them. So for a couple, you could get to Sardinia and back for almost the same price.

Prince tickets in LA in April cost 25 dollars inc booking fee. Thats 18 Euro. Now I appreciate he has to cart the gear etc over the Atlantic, so I'll happily accept a 25%-ish increase in price, but how can they justify charging over 200 dollars for the same gig here?!!

Its hardly like he has a U2 type stage with him is it?

Yet people accept this? Does anybody else think this is insane? The ticket are nearly 10 times as expensive?! On the same tour?

He played for longer in LA too.....

+ 7 quid booking fee.

So for two people = 284+transport+food+booze etc = The guts of €400 for a couple of hours.

Return flights to Sardinia with Ryanair for September are €210. I know because I just booked them. So for a couple, you could get to Sardinia and back for almost the same price.

Prince tickets in LA in April cost 25 dollars inc booking fee. Thats 18 Euro. Now I appreciate he has to cart the gear etc over the Atlantic, so I'll happily accept a 25%-ish increase in price, but how can they justify charging over 200 dollars for the same gig here?!!

Yet people accept this? Does anybody else think this is insane? The ticket are nearly 10 times as expensive?! On the same tour?

I don't get how people are still making the 'how can he charge that much??' argument about this. We live in Ireland, the country with some of the most difficult insurance policies in the world. If you want to put on an outdoor gig with thousands of people, public liability insurance goes through the ****ing roof. Every single large outdoor gig in Ireland is this expensive, if not moreso (Tom Waits and Barbara Streisand anyone?). It's hardly a surprise by now is it?

The thing I don't get is how many people will pay €90 for a concert and spend the whole time talking about how great the show is (I know it's great, and I'm trying to watch it), talking aimlessly, and doing beer runs. He played Sometimes It Snows in f5cking April and everyone around me was chatting through it?!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is how many people will pay €90 for a concert and spend the whole time talking about how great the show is (I know it's great, and I'm trying to watch it), talking aimlessly, and doing beer runs. He played Sometimes It Snows in f5cking April and everyone around me was chatting through it?!

Agreed. I love the booze like many a gig goer but you wonder sometimes why some people really go.

Roger Waters "Wall" was completely ruined by beer/toilet/beer/toilet/cameraphones.

Agreed. I love the booze like many a gig goer but you wonder sometimes why some people really go.

Roger Waters "Wall" was completely ruined by beer/toilet/beer/toilet/cameraphones.

My uncle bought me some pints so I only had to leave to for the jacks once, but I was still annoyed about that :p

+ 7 quid booking fee.

Well, you can get a lot of things for €400, for me it was worth it. If I didn't "accept" it and refused to buy a ticket, I'd have missed an excellent gig, and a rare chance to see Prince.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "What was that Cork show like if I may ask. I begged my mother to go but wasn't allowed".

It was OK, not great in 1990. He didn't come close to Michael Jackson in the same venue 2 years previous.

I agree with previous posts that Princes outdoor show in the RDS in 1992 was probably his best.

1995 in the point was also great.

In my opinion, 2002 had too many jams and short snippets of songs.

Advertisement