Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince - Malahide Castle - July 30th

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye don't get the beer run thing myself. Must be an Irish thing. The missus actually had the nerve to ask me to do a wine run for her just when he was about to come on and again later when Purple Rain just had started :eek:
    Seriously

Must be the same people who never put the camera down on their hols documenting how great it was. Only it wasn't, not for you anyway because you were minding a stupid camera 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

El Pr0n wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is how many people will pay €90 for a concert and spend the whole time talking about how great the show is (I know it's great, and I'm trying to watch it), talking aimlessly, and doing beer runs. He played Sometimes It Snows in f5cking April and everyone around me was chatting through it?!

Same at Roger Daltrey doing Tommy in Marlay last week - lots of loud chatters in the standing area at the front, and lots of smokers (despite Roger's plea that he is highly allergic to the smoke, following his throat cancer 2 years ago. How can you cheer a bloke while ignoring his plea for fresh air?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Went to the gig not knowing what to expect and not really being a fan of his but I am now converted as he is just a musical genius!!

From start to finish he was just electric!!Has converted me into a huge fan as all I have been doing since is listening to his older albums which are amazing!!

I can still feel the funk ripping through my body!!An absolute legend and was just as good as Springsteen at the RDS on the second night in 09 which was magical!!

Big shout out too to the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble who were fantastic as well!!

Am so lucky to have been there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Remember this being taken??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Deisler wrote: »

Wow can just about make myself out ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

El Pr0n wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is how many people will pay €90 for a concert and spend the whole time talking about how great the show is (I know it's great, and I'm trying to watch it), talking aimlessly, and doing beer runs. He played Sometimes It Snows in f5cking April and everyone around me was chatting through it?!

That's the very thing I was concerned about. Casual fans who go along just to hear the big hits, and then get restless when faced with an album track off Parade that they don't recognise. Idiots. I was surprised at the amount of talking on some of the You Tube clips, even during Purple Rain, FFS.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Not the point. I love Prince and hate Bon Jovi - got roped into it by a relative.

Still wouldn't pay 135 to see Prince in a field, and to be fair to Jovi they played for over three hours.

Quality, not quantity..
    No comparison between bon jovi and Prince and I am not a huge fan of either but the purple one was pure class.
    As a pure musical spectacle there was only one winner.
    I feel sorry for anyone who paid for Bon Jovi, dreadful concert.
    As I said in a previous post both Bon Jovi and the RDS could learn a lesson from the sound at malahide, absolutely thumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Went to the gig not knowing what to expect and not really being a fan of his but I am now converted as he is just a musical genius!!

From start to finish he was just electric!!Has converted me into a huge fan as all I have been doing since is listening to his older albums which are amazing!!

I can still feel the funk ripping through my body!!An absolute legend and was just as good as Springsteen at the RDS on the second night in 09 which was magical!!

Big shout out too to the Hypnotic Brass Ensemble who were fantastic as well!!

Am so lucky to have been there!!

Dodgy burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

poundhound wrote: »
    Re "What was that Cork show like if I may ask. I begged my mother to go but wasn't allowed".

It was OK, not great in 1990. He didn't come close to Michael Jackson in the same venue 2 years previous.

I agree with previous posts that Princes outdoor show in the RDS in 1992 was probably his best.

1995 in the point was also great.

In my opinion, 2002 had too many jams and short snippets of songs.

That 1990 gig is still in my top 3 stadium shows of all time, I thought he was out of this world, I was overseas in 92 so didn't see that one but I seen him in the O2 in London a couple of years ago and he was excellent but nothing could match the magic of the Cork gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's the very thing I was concerned about. Casual fans who go along just to hear the big hits, and then get restless when faced with an album track off Parade that they don't recognise. Idiots. I was surprised at the amount of talking on some of the You Tube clips, even during Purple Rain, FFS.

Yeah, I don't really get this. I am a casual fan, but I just like the overall noise of Prince's music so the jamming and the songs I didn't recognise were still really good. Plus my boyfriend was singing along with ALL the words!

We got a drink before Prince came on, then I needed to do a loo-run, so I got another beer in about half way through the gig. It was hard to leave! But there were people falling down drunk - they must have been at the beer tent every 20 minutes! Part of the enjoyment of the gig is remembering it the next day. These people wouldn't remember a thing, the state they were in. Seems like a lot of money to spend to get drunk in a field...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

endabob1 wrote: »
    poundhound wrote: »
    Re "What was that Cork show like if I may ask. I begged my mother to go but wasn't allowed".

It was OK, not great in 1990. He didn't come close to Michael Jackson in the same venue 2 years previous.

I agree with previous posts that Princes outdoor show in the RDS in 1992 was probably his best.

1995 in the point was also great.

In my opinion, 2002 had too many jams and short snippets of songs.

That 1990 gig is still in my top 3 stadium shows of all time, I thought he was out of this world, I was overseas in 92 so didn't see that one but I seen him in the O2 in London a couple of years ago and he was excellent but nothing could match the magic of the Cork gig.

I must admit I'm puzzled that so many people have good memories of the RDS in 1992. I remember the sound as awful, a real "crusty" quality. Too bright for much of the show as well.

The sound on the YouTube clips from Saturday seems ace. His voice also sounded really powerful. You never think of Prince as being renowned for his voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I must admit I'm puzzled that so many people have good memories of the RDS in 1992. I remember the sound as awful, a real "crusty" quality. Too bright for much of the show as well.

The sound on the YouTube clips from Saturday seems ace. His voice also sounded really powerful. You never think of Prince as being renowned for his voice.

I thought that was one of the things he was most famous for - his incredible vocal range? He did have an amazing voice, like a recording. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Prince was always known for his amazing voice?
    It was perfect on Saturday and quite effortless for him.
    Right , I am going to shut up about it now.
    As I said , I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan but was really blown away by the whole gig, one of the best out of 20 years of gigs I have been at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 zuluman

I see all the homemade video footage of the concert from malahide has been pulled from You tube.

It says "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by NPG records"

I am a Prince fan but I really think he goes a bit over the top with protecting some of his work. They are only amateur videos for fans pleasure (who probably have bought all his albums anyway and paid for one or a lot more concerts).

I think he should embrace youtube more. Surely, it is an advertisement of how good his concerts are...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

zuluman wrote: »
    I see all the homemade video footage of the concert from malahide has been pulled from You tube.

It says "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by NPG records"

I am a Prince fan but I really think he goes a bit over the top with protecting some of his work. They are only amateur videos for fans pleasure (who probably have bought all his albums anyway and paid for one or a lot more concerts).

I think he should embrace youtube more. Surely, it is an advertisement of how good his concerts are...

Works both ways - some of the videos were very poor quality, and it might seem like it was Princes performance that was poor. Apparently he has no trust in the internet - he doesn't even has a website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 zuluman

can anyone send me their videos - purely as a momento. PM me

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Deisler wrote: »

Omg that's mad :D.
    Where did you get it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

After sitting on a pole at Bon Jovi for 91.25 Euro, not again.

How much should you have paid him :D:D:D

Doinker wrote: »
    Works both ways - some of the videos were very poor quality, and it might seem like it was Princes performance that was poor. Apparently he has no trust in the internet - he doesn't even has a website.

Funny how this clip from PR has stayed up so long. My favourite song ever of his, and the soundtrack to doing no work in fifth class in school :o:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlPHp44Qys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

Best gig ever, totally amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Mod edit: no bootlegs / copyright breaches etc etc

Advertisement