Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wing Tsun Kung-Fu in Wexford

• 23-05-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that Wing Tsun is coming to Wexford town with classes starting next Monday, the 30th of May. Classes will take place in the Patrick Dobbs Fitness Centre in the Clonard Retail Park every Monday evening from 8.15-10.15pm and will cost €10 each.

The school will be run by Henry Corrigan who has been training in the Blanchardstown school since September 2006 and who qualified as a trainee instructor with the Irish Wing Tsun Organisation (IEWTO) last month. Henry who moved to Wexford a few months ago will continue to train with us in Dublin while teaching in Wexford.

As this is a new school, the focus of the classes will be on teaching beginners Wing Tsun and I aim to support the school with seminars and gradings every few months. For further details, please go to www.wingtsun-wexford.ie .

Regards, :)

Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 zagzagel

Wing chun kung fu.
    sorry but I think its carp, i mean toug sung
    Wu Mei devised the system of wing chun and I really believe mc Donalds version is carp.
    ps. I am to polite to use a rude word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

zagzagel wrote: »
    Wing chun kung fu.
    Wu Mei devised the system of wing chun and I really believe mc Donalds version is carp.

Something fishy about this post!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 zagzagel

Move like fish and you will learn alot about Gung fu.
    Where does it draw its power from to swim.
    Move like a fish.
    Fools might laugh but the wise amough u will understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Wing chun kung fu.

Hi all,

I know that when you write something on the internet you have to expect this type of thing but just in case anyone thinks there is no smoke without fire I want to clarify one or two things.

Origin of Wing Tsun/Chun
    The origins of Wing Tsun/Chun are based on oral history. The earliest historical figure who we know of is Leung Jan who was a doctor in Fatshan in the 19th century. He was the teacher of Chan Wah Shun who was the teacher of Yip/Ip Man who was the teacher of Bruce Lee and the head of our organisation Leung Ting. The Wing Tsun/Chun legend states that the art was created by Ng Mui and it is true that several other martial arts claim her as their founder. So we acknowledge that the origin of Wing Tsun/Chun may just be a story and thats fine.

Wing Tsun Syllabus
    I am not sure about the reference to Mc Donalds but learning Wing Tsun is very straightforward and there are no shortcuts. The art is backed up by a good syllabus and there are 12 student programmes before the equivilent of blackbelt. Each programme focuses on a specific area and builds upon the skills learned in the previous programme and the same holds true for the advanced programmes after blackbelt level. Students are examined on their respective programme every few months and only if successful will they pass their grade and move onto the next programme. If they are not successful then they are given specific feedback and this is something I do myself when examining students.

Instructor Training
    Students can become a basic instructor at 8th student grade if that is would they would like to do. If they attend class regularly, this will take about 3 years. If they don't want to become an instructor, thats fine and they will still be taught just as thoroughly as someone who does become an instructor. However just because someone becomes an instructor their training does not stop there. Instructors who help me to teach once a week then train as students in the other class. They also get free bi-weekly instructor training with me and they attend instructor seminars by the national instructor for Ireland three times per year. As I said, it will take students about 3 years to train up to basic instructor level and then maybe another 3 years before they get to blackbelt level. I myself have been studying Wing Tsun for 18 years and am still learning. I travel to the UK and to Germany on a regular basis and I see my German based instructor roughly every four months. The material he teaches me, I practise on a weekly basis with my colleagues.

Opening a School
    If a student gets to basic instructor level and they would prefer to open their own school, this is something they can do. In the case of the Wing Tsun school in Wexford, Henry had been training with me for about 4 years and when he moved from Dublin to Wexford a few months ago, he became interested in teaching there. However he still travels for four hours to train with me each Saturday for three hours.

Training Groups
    Then we have other students who travel from even further afield. For example, I have two students who have been travelling from Sligo to Blanchardstown each Saturday for the past two years. They travel for six hours to train for three hours each Saturday and they also train together during the week. Even though they are only 4th student grade we allowed them to open up a training group as they have shown and continue to show great committment. When they get to 8th student grade then their training group will become an official school and they will be official instructors and maybe in a few years they will get their blackbelt. It would be very easy for us to give them their blackbelt now and even easier for us to give them their 8th student grade but as I said, there are no shortcuts in Wing Tsun.

In Summary
    We have put a lot of effort into making the training as clear, organised and transparent as possible. The term "Kung-Fu" literally means "hard work" and I feel applies more to people who travel the length and breath of Ireland and abroad to train rather than to those who spend their time writing "carp" on the internet.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Move like fish and you will learn alot about Gung fu.
    Where does it draw its power from to swim.
    Move like a fish.
    Fools might laugh but the wise amough u will understand.

Hi Zagzagel,

so far I agree with you about fishes, the source of their power and gung fu. I guess you practice more the "internal" content of the art rather its zillions " external" application ?

could you please explain what wing chun you practise and what you don t like in Leung Ting branch ?

I 'd like to know your arguments about technics, or maybe about your ways of teachings, etc... whatever suits you..if possible I 'd like to avoid pointless arguments like " mr X stole the secrets from mr Y, this one is a treator, the dog of the cousin of the doctor told me...".

thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement