Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu temp on new build

Options
  • 23-05-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

Got my new pc as suggested from you guys (i5 2500k). many thanks for your help.

I have a slight problem..my cpu temp from speedfan is 90 degrees this is from a stock fan, can this be correct or do I need to get a better fan

I have nothing of high power my gpu is crap so I'm not sure whats going on any ideas

HVS built my machine if that helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

That's way too high!
    My i5 2500k idle temp is 30 degrees c.

Maybe double-check the temp is in Celcius not Fahrenheit!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dazzareds

90 degrees c (between 85 and 90)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Ouch that's way too hot....I wouldn't run the system much until you sort it.

Also for reference my i5 2500k temp at idle is about 25 C. Haven't seen it go above 30 yet!

Edit - btw I use the stock fan too!

Wow,
    I wonder did HWV forget to put the thermal compound on?
    Was the CPU cooler fitted when you received it?

It sounds like there is no thermal compound at all!

Hang on!

I checked speedfan reading for my i5 and it is showing 90 C as well!

The other reading I gave above (25 C) was from the asus monitoring suite that came with motherboard.

Strange! Has me worried!

Also the stock fan has compound pre-applied so that shouldnt be an issue.

• Advertisement

ok looked at my asus monitoring suite and cpu is running 19 deg C so i'm now confused.

Hey, download the Speccy program and check it that way.
    http://www.piriform.com/speccy

It usually show the CPU temp within a degree or two of my Asus monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Check it on speccy by priform for a third opnion

speccy 27 deg c

This was the program I was looking for in the first place so thanks

Think all is good but why the difference? had me worried

dazzareds wrote: »
    speccy 27 deg c

This was the program I was looking for in the first place so thanks

Yep mine is 27 C with speccy also! Bizarre!

• Advertisement

dazzareds wrote: »

Every piece of software has it own way of reading the cup temp, maybe speedfan software was incompatible with the cpu temp sensors and was getting a false reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Could always try coretemp for further correlation?

Yep mine is 27 C with speccy also! Bizarre!

Speccy could also be wrong too I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Recently put together my own build and ran speccy and core temp to see what my temps were. These look far too high considering I'm only browsing and it's ~40c. Running stock cooler which I had a bit of an issue making sure was properly attached to the mobo. Any suggestions? Add thermal paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

40C from a stock cooler is acceptable. Run the Torture test on Prime95 for 15mins and see what you get.

Remember that reseating without cleaning and re-applying will likely make the Temps worse.

You would need to clean the Thermal Paste with rubbing alcohol(IPA) and apply new paste.

Unless you want to Overclock Cpu stick with what you got. Invest in a better Heatsink down the line when have need for an extra kick from your i5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Run Prime95 for an hour, then boot back into the BIOS as quickly as you can and see what your temperatures are. Obviously this won't give you accurate load temperatures, but it will tell you which software program is correct by giving you a ballpark figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

So I ran prime95 for an hour and a half and got the following result. I'm not sure if this is high or normal and whether or not I should push for a minor Overclock?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Those temps are normal for stock cooler. No you should not overclock without buying a better heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

dango wrote: »
    So I ran prime95 for an hour and a half and got the following result. I'm not sure if this is high or normal and whether or not I should push for a minor Overclock?

Personally, I wouldn't try OCing it with the stock cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper TX3 heatsink is cheap and seem's like a good buy from what I've been reading about it. I'll let you know in a few days what I think personally as I just ordered it.

Advertisement