Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lemongrass

Options
  • 23-05-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

decided to grow my own lemon grass, i read somewhere thatif you put the stalks of lemongrass that you buy in the shops into a glass of water they will grow roots. so i decided to try it and hey presto after about 3-4 weeks they have started to sprout roots. has anyone tried this before?, i wonder how long more would i need to leave them before i try to plant them? and what type of soil/compost would they like best?

photo0209iz.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

sponge_bob wrote: »
    decided to grow my own lemon grass, i read somewhere thatif you put the stalks of lemongrass that you buy in the shops into a glass of water they will grow roots. so i decided to try it and hey presto after about 3-4 weeks they have started to sprout roots. has anyone tried this before?, i wonder how long more would i need to leave them before i try to plant them? and what type of soil/compost would they like best?

photo0209iz.jpg

If you plant one lemon grass stalk, does it produce a bunch ? I'm presuming it wont just keep growing as one stalk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I had lemongrass before... lemongrass tea... delish and home made body scrub is divine..

You need quite rich compost, lots drainage and make sure the roots are longer then two inches before you pot them.

My friend in Hawaii had masses of lemongrass, his tip was chicken manure form his chooks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Andip wrote: »
    If you plant one lemon grass stalk, does it produce a bunch ? I'm presuming it wont just keep growing as one stalk ?

well i have got 7 stalks going there
    suntottie wrote: »
    I had lemongrass before... lemongrass tea... delish and home made body scrub is divine..

You need quite rich compost, lots drainage and make sure the roots are longer then two inches before you pot them.

My friend in Hawaii had masses of lemongrass, his tip was chicken manure form his chooks :)

i use it in thai curries and it gives a lovely flavour.
    not to sure about the chicken manure though, as i plan to grow this in our conservetory, pretty sure the wife would blow a fuse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Can it survive well in a pot outdoors?

think it might be to cold out doors:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought a packet of Lemongrass seeds in Mr. Middletons a couple of months ago. Thinking it would be fairly easy to cultivate. Use a fair bit in Thai curries etc.
    It's NOT easy to grow from seed apparently, takes three weeks to germinate I seem to remember. I seem to remember....because, as I was re sowing a few more seeds, in the back shed, a gust of wind blew up and took the packet off somewhere, I think under the freezer. I didn't bother too hard to retrieve them, only got a few dozen seeds per pack, as small as grass seeds (which reckons :rolleyes:).
    Nah, wasn't prepared to go through 3 weeks of TLC. But would be interested to know if you succeed with stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

has anyone tried this before?

I'm on my second attempt. The first attempt started just before the very cold spell last winter with the plant in the windowsill, and I guess it was just too cold.

My second attempt has been in soil for about a month now and, unless it is wishful thinking, is starting to look greener than before. No sign of new growth yet though. The plant is in a cheap plastic tiny greenhouse in the garden

When I looked into it I found that people recommend you wait until there is about an inch of root - which looks about right in your pictures - before planting in a pot. I just used standard potting compost. It doesn't seem to use much water.

unkel wrote: »
    I'm on my second attempt. The first attempt started just before the very cold spell last winter with the plant in the windowsill, and I guess it was just too cold.

My second attempt has been in soil for about a month now and, unless it is wishful thinking, is starting to look greener than before. No sign of new growth yet though. The plant is in a cheap plastic tiny greenhouse in the garden

When I looked into it I found that people recommend you wait until there is about an inch of root - which looks about right in your pictures - before planting in a pot. I just used standard potting compost. It doesn't seem to use much water.

yes i think one or two of mine are nearing planting stage.
    did you just use all compost or did you mix some clay in aswell?
    i would imagine that an all compost mix wouldn't give the plant a firm grip in the pot.

so an update on the lemmongrass growing, its about 9 weeks since i first started and tbh i thought i would be further along. but at least they are growing.

CIMG2162.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

so an update on the lemmongrass growing, its about 9 weeks since i first started and tbh i thought i would be further along. but at least they are growing.

CIMG2162.jpg

I'm well impressed :)

I have seeds but I don know how successful they would be planting!

Give us another update in another few weeks will you?

Hopefully the sun will raise it's lazy bum and you can leave it outside to be blasted!

Well done :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement