Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway to Gorey, Co Wicklow - best route?

• 23-05-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

I need to get to Gorey at the weekend. What is my best route? I looked at the map and am still confused. Will I take the easy option of M6/M4 Motorway to Dublin and then down the M50 towards Bray and beyond?

Or should I go cross county via some place like Tullamore?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

Use the motorways pain in the ass through tullamore. You will do it stress free in about 3 hrs 15

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Gorey in Wicklow?

Good look with finding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Gorey is WEXFORD thank you very much :)

And Motor ways are the best bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Have gone to Rathdum, wicklow which is same general area.

Having tried both Tullamore and the M6/M4 routes, I would definately take the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

Going to assume you mean Gorey in Wexford.
    M6/m4 would be an easier & probably faster drive than going off at Tullamore to go down to Wexford.

Also sticking to the motorway means you won't be going through towns. Much nicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Whooops. Yes, I meant Wexford. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Would second and third the other Motorway suggestions. Esp at the weekend when you can get stuck in the 'shopping' traffic around the smaller towns.

Unless you happen to prefer a cross country Irish Town adventure! Would be kinda like using the old Galway Dublin route instead of the Motorway - a trip down memory lane:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Galway-> Portumna-> Birr-> Roscrea->-Portlaoise->Carlow->Gorey

http://goo.gl/maps/cRxN (google maps says there's a toll on the M6 but you turn off before it)

The M50 can be nasty with traffic and if the road works are still going in athlone i'd avoid it. If you don't mind secondary roads its not too bad. I'd know that route as I travel a lot of it fairly often, so if you're not used to any of it at all it might be easier to go the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I took the above cross country route the last time I went that way and it took forever due to the traffic in the small towns, ended up taking five and a half hours, would defo take the motorway, I reckon it'd be much quicker, about three and a half hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

it depends on time of day.. used to travel cross country to Courtown (just past Gorey) and it would take about 3 hrs at best.. and that was after getting to know the roads well ;) going the motor way can be done quicker (but there is less places to stop if you need to :eek:) but if you get stuck in traffic either way you could be looking at a 4 hour journey :(

• Advertisement

I find going that far on the motorway to be a bit boring and monotonous. I usually endup saying to myself - "Maybe I could set the cruise control 1mph faster - surely I'm still within the +- error on the clock" After I've said this every 5 minutes i end up going at 140+ and I'm going to end up with points. Much prefer the midlands where I have options for stopping for fuel or a cup o tea.

If its just a one off trip, OP is probably better taking the motorway. Or at least N roads through tullamore. If its something you will be doing a few times, you might as well get to know the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Speaking as someone who has been living in Gorey for the past 6+ years but is from Galway and go back frequently, I pretty much always take the motorway now. It's dual carriageway from Galway to Gorey apart from the stretch between Jack Whites and the Beehive on the N11. Before they finished the N4/N6 I used to do the cross country route, used to take 3.5 to 4 hours if you don't get stuck, on the motorway it's just over 3 hours depending on traffic.
    If you will hit Dublin rushhour traffic or will be trying to head down the M/N11 on Friday evening go cross country but otherwise I advise motorway.

Edit: Galway-> Portumna-> Birr-> Roscrea->-Abbyleix->Carlow->Gorey is the cross country route I take, the road to Abbyleix is classified lower than the one to Portlaoise is not much worse in my opinion and you save on going up to come down again, it is possible to get horribly lost in a few places like Carlow I found first few times I did it

Meteoric wrote: »

Edit: Galway-> Portumna-> Birr-> Roscrea->-Abbyleix->Carlow->Gorey is the cross country route I take, the road to Abbyleix is classified lower than the one to Portlaoise is not much worse in my opinion and you save on going up to come down again, it is possible to get horribly lost in a few places like Carlow I found first few times I did it

Whats that road from abbeyleix to the swan and on to carlow like? Similar to Mountrath to abbeyleix? I go from galway to abbeyleix to a mechanic the odd time, but never any further EAST.

Google also says 3 hours via M50, and you would do very well to beat that across the midlands (i.e drive like a lunatic), but I seem to attract traffic jams and road works when I go near dublin :( perhaps they sense my culchieness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely motorway 100% and if you can avoid the south end of the M50 from between 4 and 6 pm you'll avoid anu traffic hold ups too.
    The traffic will also slow coming up to the Beehive-Tap single carriageway section at around the same times too, but other than that you won't get held up anywhere and can "admire" the countryside from a distance instead of having to slog your way through it like many of us did for years and years and .......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

M6/M4/M11/N11 No time at all and theres going to feck all traffic on a Saturday compared to weekly commuting.

Advertisement