Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Cyclist....BIG challenge! HELP!!

• 24-05-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey folks, im organising a cycle with my mates this summer. We're going from Castlegregroy in Kerry to Dunfanaghy in Donegal. All of us amateur cyclists with legs look around 40 miles avg. Wondering what ye might suggest in the way of training? setting off mid June... Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just build up the amount of back to back days you do.
    If you can to 75km or so firstly for 2 days & then build up to four days, then that will be reasonably good start.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's about 500km. Are you planning a return trip or just one-way and then getting a lift back or whatever? Timeframes are also quite important. The preparation for a 4-day trip will be different to the preparation for a two-week trip, for example.

ROK ON gives a good pointer though. If you can get doing your 75km per day for two days, back-to-back, without being completely destroyed on the second day, then you're at a good place for doing a leisurely tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

seamus wrote: »
    It's about 500km. Are you planning a return trip or just one-way and then getting a lift back or whatever? Timeframes are also quite important. The preparation for a 4-day trip will be different to the preparation for a two-week trip, for example.

ROK ON gives a good pointer though. If you can get doing your 75km per day for two days, back-to-back, without being completely destroyed on the second day, then you're at a good place for doing a leisurely tour.

Yeah, going straight up, then back to sligo and train home. I thinnk i measured it roughly at just under 500k. The longest leg i measure was around 90km. Im hoping to get it done in under 2 weeks, but we'll have plenty of sessions along the way and probably have a few 2 night stop overs to let people rest up.
    I'll put it to people about the 75km back to back. Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

Just over a week to go, wondering if anyone had any tips on items we should bring?

Going to invest in some panniers and will be camping so need to keep it all to a minimum!!

Thanks

Advertisement