Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing off a doorway/plastering

• 24-05-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I have an internal door Im closing off at home(frame and door out now) - I have no issue with putting in the studwork/insulating and slabbing, its the plastering to make a nice finish that has me wary, do I need to use the tape at the edges and would ready mix skim do the job? Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

You might get better advice than this but;

I did this before and what I did was to use a stanley to cut a line 100mm back from edge of the opening. I then removed the skim for this area and re-plastered across the opening up to the line I cut.

Worked out fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Readymix skim won do.

Slab the opening and tape the joint, once you've chiseled off some of the old skim coat on the wall .. if its a slabbed wall and not a block wall you might find it tougher, but its preferable that you do this for a seamless finish.

If you are finding it too difficult you could tape the joint and re plaster an overlap of the old wall across the joint, not ideal, but it will help.

You need to tape it, if you dont it will crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Cut back the rough skimming that will have been behind the architrave or door lining. Keep the studwork 16/17mm behind the wall. You can guage this by putting a straight rule across the opening. This will allow you to fit 12.5mm plasterboard and allow enough for skimcoat. Scrim the joints and wet the adjacent old plaster (this will stop too much suction). Just over half a bag if Skimcoat will be enough. If you need some sound insulation, fill in when you've one side slabbed. If in the kitchen keep the plasterboard 25mm off the ground to stop dampness migrating upwards (in case of taps overflowing).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

all sound advice (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Many thanks to all for the words of wisdom , much appreciated,

dan

• Advertisement
Advertisement