Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home veg garden: polytunnels.

Options
  • 24-05-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

My wife and I would like to invest in a Polytunnel to begin a home veg garden. We have plenty of room in the rear garden for a polytunnel, and good sunlight. But we're right on the (Wicklow) coast, so we do get a fair bit of wind, so I'm thinking I'll need one of the more sturdy frames.

Can anyone recommend sizes, prices to expect, places to shop?

We'll need to treat the soil I'm sure - bring in some topsoil, etc. Initial plans are to grow broccoli, lettuce, carrots, herbs, tomatoes (hopefully!) kale and chard. Perhaps during winter months we can still grow some of the hardier plants...

Anyway - we're totally new to this, so any advice and suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

You would be as well off to use the coming months to establish your polytunnel; prepare the soil etc.. It's a bit late for it to produce very much for this year - except quick crops like lettuce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Thanks for that - yea we don't expect to get a lot of produce this year, but will spend coming months planting, preparing soil, experimenting, etc.

We're also considering a small (2 or 3) chicken coop if the landlord will allow it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Well, best of luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055489307

You might find some info on this

Good luck with it, this is our second year now and starting to get a bit more organised. Takes time but is enjoyable

Advertisement