Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Won't say Dad

Options
  • 24-05-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭

My 21 month old daughter refuses to call em dad. She can say mum ,mam ,mummy, mommy, nan, nanny and many different versiosn of her cousins,uncles and aunties names.

whenever she is asked to say dad, she laughs and says mums or no,i honestly think she is taking the piss. has anyone else experienced this??

Drivign me crazy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ted1 wrote: »
    My 21 Year old daughter refuses to call em dad. She can say mum ,mam ,mummy, mommy, nan, nanny and many different versiosn of her cousins,uncles and aunties names.

whenever she is asked to say dad, she laughs and says mums or no,i honestly think she is taking the piss. has anyone else experienced this??

Drivign me crazy

I assume you mean 21 MONTH old daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

professore wrote: »
    I assume you mean 21 MONTH old daughter?

yep, fixed now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Dad is usually one of the first words, as the sound is easy to say for most kids. It could be that she doesn't say it on purpose, yes- because she gets a reaction, and people paying attention to her, trying to get her to say the word. Did she ever say dad? Can she say other words that sound similar, other D words?

well she says "doh doh " when she asks for her soother, and she says "ta ta" when you give her something she wants. so she has both the 'd' sound and the 'a' sound, just won't put them together..

she has pwease , up, open, bye bye, hellloooooo, hi ya, mum ,niall, david, grace, sam, 'ara' for cara, Wa wa wa for please put on the seasame street back street so i can sing and dance.

she also loves the count from seasame street and goes "ah ah" when she hears people counting.

i guess she just takes after me and enjoys having a laugh....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My girl was an early speaker but said mama way before Dada too.
    She might be doing it just to annoy you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Tell her NOT to say Dad!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When she really needs something from you she'll say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Does she say anything instead of Dad? By this I mean for example, my little ones sound was mam instead of the traditional baby gaga so she recognised by about 8 mths that I was mam however until she was close to 2 she called my husband bab instead of dad, as happy as he was to finally hear dad after a while he missed bab too.

oh she knows who i am if asked wheres dad she'll point to me or a photo of me she just won't say it. She actually gets a kick out of not saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

ted1 wrote: »
    oh she knows who i am if asked wheres dad she'll point to me or a photo of me she just won't say it. She actually gets a kick out of not saying it.

Sounds like she will be one hell of a daddys girl in the end though;) My hubbie used to beg the little one to say Dad and she would just laugh at him and say bab. I wouldnt worry about it, all in good time but enjoy her little game while she is playing it, time flies all too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Reminds me of that programme Dinosaurs in the 90s

"Not the Mama!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Reminds me of that programme Dinosaurs in the 90s

"Not the Mama!

I was just about to post that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

my little one calls me by my first name, it's all good though, how could I be offended by a three year old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My lad wouldn't say mammy for ages. Like your girl, he knew who I was, had loads of other people's names, even called the bleedin dogs by their names before he would say mammy/mama/mam. I know he was doing it for divilment, he eventually gave in. I don't remember how old he was at the time, around 19 months maybe? Sounds like your girl is totally clued in and learning already how to make her daddy cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter was 2 before she said anything resembling mam.
    She had loads of words down to a t, but mam, mum , mammy etc, was never uttered. I was referred to as "uh".

Used to drive me mental. But once she started saying it......god. It was "maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm" for everything. She went through a phase of calling me by my first name but I ignored her and would only answer to mam or some derivative. Then came the "mommy" and "mom" phase for which I blame tv. Then I was maaaa until I warned her she was not a lamb and I was not a ewe.
    We're now resting on "mam" again. Though I'm sure the teen years will have me called many other things! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

my son 21months now , has been saying dada for a couple of months now ,
    but really only last few days has started to say mama

every child is different I guess

Cheers guys, i guess i'll jus thave to play the waitign game, we've another one arriving in October. so as long as she says it before then i'll be happy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Crazy

We spend the first 2 years of their lives trying to get them to talk and the next 16 years telling them to SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:D

Wait till you get to this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Zombie thread, closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement