Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunboyne Train Station - Parking

Options
  • 24-05-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be using the Dunboyne - Grand Canal Dock train line for my commute to work. I am aware that there are two stations

- The M3 Parkway Station (No parking fee)
    - The Dunboyne Station (30 euros a month fee)

I am hoping someone can answer a few questions.
    Does the 30 euros guarantee you a space? What time does the Dunboyne village carpark fill up by. If I was getting the train at [FONT=NexusSans,Bold]07.43 would I get a parking space at 7.30 am??[/FONT]
    [FONT=NexusSans,Bold][/FONT]
    [FONT=NexusSans,Bold]I am interested in any tips fellow commuters might have. I am living in Ongar.
    [/FONT]NicNac

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I couldn't honestly tell you about the spots filling up. They are both very large so i doubt they will. The one thing i would say is that you are probably better off using the paid parking spot. That does guarantee you some security right? The thing is (I'm only learning to drive) so i took a spin around the M3 parkway and some of the windows broken and the tires stolen! Maybe that is something you may need to look into!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you are aware that the train from Dunboyne does NOT go to "grand canal dock"?
    It goes to "docklands" on the other side of the river.
    Its not such a walk, but its not the same station.
    And if you really need Grand Canal Dock, you can change to the Maynooth train between clonsilla and phoenix park

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭nicnac

I couldn't honestly tell you about the spots filling up. They are both very large so i doubt they will. The one thing i would say is that you are probably better off using the paid parking spot. That does guarantee you some security right? The thing is (I'm only learning to drive) so i took a spin around the M3 parkway and some of the windows broken and the tires stolen! Maybe that is something you may need to look into!

Thanks for the tip about security michelledoh - how far out is the m3 parkway station anyway? How long would it take to drive from Dunboyne to that station?
    you are aware that the train from Dunboyne does NOT go to "grand canal dock"?
    It goes to "docklands" on the other side of the river.
    Its not such a walk, but its not the same station.
    And if you really need Grand Canal Dock, you can change to the Maynooth train between clonsilla and phoenix park

Yeah, sorry, I am talking about the station in the docklands that is on the Dunboyne line. I wasn't sure which station I would be getting off at (which side of the river). Would it take long to walk to Sir Joh Rogers Quay to the Docklands station?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nicnac wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry, I am talking about the station in the docklands that is on the Dunboyne line. I wasn't sure which station I would be getting off at (which side of the river). Would it take long to walk to Sir Joh Rogers Quay to the Docklands station?
    nope.
    thats no distance now with the new footbridge, 600m according to google maps.
    And to be honest, thats bang in the middle of the 2 stations more or less, so there would be no benefit changing onto a packed train heading southside if you can stay on the less congested train heading to docklands.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I'd say its about a 5 minute drive! The car park is huge and there is always lots of parking spots. It's just beside the Dublin to Navan so that should give you a general idea of it's location!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Both car-parks have never been even a quarter full so I wouldn't worry bout getting a space.

Hopefully they will be full on sunday week for the match. It would be great to see trains full of meath supporters headin in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Hi, is parking at Dunboyne train station difficult to get these days? do you need to be there at certain time to get a space? Looking at buying house in Ratoath so would be driving from there, how long would that take during rush hour roughly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

If you're in Ratoath I'd suggest using M3 Parkway station instead. It's closer to Ratoath than Dunboyne and parking is free. The carpark there is never even half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

If you're in Ratoath I'd suggest using M3 Parkway station instead. It's closer to Ratoath than Dunboyne and parking is free. The carpark there is never even half full.

I'd agree plenty of space and also first on the train so you'll always get a seat. I wouldn't think traffic would be bad getting there, I pass by the Fairyhouse cross and there isn't a huge queue. I'd think 15mins approx.

lmf wrote: »
    Hi, is parking at Dunboyne train station difficult to get these days? do you need to be there at certain time to get a space? Looking at buying house in Ratoath so would be driving from there, how long would that take during rush hour roughly?

There's also a bus service called Ashbourne connect which now serves Ratoath. Might be an option depending on where you are going to in the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Thanks guys. I'm going to sir John rogersons quay so the docklands train would be handy, and probably quicker than the bus .

Perfect for there. It's generally reliable too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Neither car park is ever close to full so no worries either way on that score.

It was mentioned to me before that although the car park at M3 is free, the fare is higher so they get you that way. Not sure if that's reality or not.

I'd use the M3 unless you're in Dunboyne itself - its right on the motorway so you're free from town traffic you'll get in Dunboyne.

With an annual taxsaver ticket it's the same cost , to buy a single ticket it is more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Random question

But would there be taxi's at either of these stations at half8 Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Random question

But would there be taxi's at either of these stations at half8 Monday morning?

No.

But there shouldn’t be any problem using mytaxi to arrange a pick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

But there shouldn’t be any problem using mytaxi to arrange a pick though.

No.

Thanks.

Really hope it works out there so or I'll be stranded on the motorway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I’ve often used it early in the morning heading in to town and never had any problem. I would say that you need to allow at least an extra 15 mins for the train - especially if you have an appointment. It’s very slow these days.

Advertisement