Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Accommodation

• 24-05-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Apologies if this is discussed in another thread....

I have recently been accepted to study in the child and family law LLM in UCC. starting in September 2011.
    I am not familiar with Cork or UCC, so I was wondering if anyone would have any advise as to where would be the best places to start looking for accommodation? I am 25, female and would require parking also! I was also wondering is all the college accommodation (as with NUIG) full of first years? Not that there's anything wrong with first years but gone a bit past that stage now! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

Hi

This is where I currently live: http://www.ucccampusaccommodation.com/student/dennehys-crossstudent.asp

Its UCC accommodation for postgrads only but and here are a few things about it:

- Its quite expensive but the apartments themselves a very nice
    - its about a 15 minute walk to the main UCC campus
    - If you plan on spending a lot of time in the library then the nurses library is only 5 minutes or so away
    - there is a possibility that they might eventually start building on the site that is next to it though

I know there are a few threads on here talking about the place, or if you have any questions just ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

doyler442 wrote: »
    Hi

This is where I currently live: http://www.ucccampusaccommodation.com/student/dennehys-crossstudent.asp

Its UCC accommodation for postgrads only but and here are a few things about it:

- If you plan on spending a lot of time in the library then the nurses library is only 5 minutes or so away
    - there is a possibility that they might eventually start building on the site that is next to it though

I know there are a few threads on here talking about the place, or if you have any questions just ask me.

Thanks! I'll check this place out, seems a bit expensive though and cant see whether there's car parking spaces available?

Sorry forgot you asked about parking - there is parking and currently its free (when I first moved in 2 years ago they said there would be a charge but they never introduced it afterwards)

Thanks so much...The apartments definitely do look nice! :)
    Are there any issues with having people over, as I know some college accommodation 'frowns upon' this!!!

Funny you should ask that - a guy moved into my apartment at the start of this year and he was much older. He didn't want us having people around but myself and the other roommate didn't pay much attention to this ha but he eventually moved out anyway.

As for them enforcing actual rules, there isn't anything said - its much more relaxed because it is postgraduate accommodation, so just as long as you don't have massive house parties etc I'm sure you will be fine.

Also recently the other apartments in the complex have been rented out to other people (not students) but so far everything has been fine.

Theres also a Tesco Express right below the apartments and a proper Tesco at the Wilton which is a minutes drive from here.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much! No considering I dont know anyone down there can't see major house parties being an issue, haha!! Just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems if a friend wanted to come down for the odd weekend or something like that! Well thanks so much again! You'e really making it sound attractive, now to just work on the finances..... :confused:

No problem

I do tend to make it sound good but I'm sure if you look up some of the older discussions about it here you will see a few issues too.

Also there are other places around that would be much cheaper too (problem is the UCC student website is brutal on this)

If you have any other questions just PM and I'll be happy to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I Dont have much knowledge of the postgrad accommodation except for the fact that it does seem that bit further of a walk away from college! Just to give you more options there are several student buildings in the same general area that will save you about five mins off ur walk and will give you a bit more variety as to price and standard etc. All of them have parking at an extra cost. They are the Village, Victoria Mills and Farranlea. Brookfield and Deanshall are also possibilities but they are in a different area to the first three I mentioned. While these are all mixed with different years of students, I think youll be mixed with people in the same or similar years (not first years anyway!) As regards the Village I know for definite that they have a block especially for post grads so you wont have noisy neighbours coming and going at all hours of the morning or blaring music from their parties! Im sure the other places all have similar arrangements in place too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a postgrad in UCC in September, and trying to decide where to live. What would people recommend, Deans Hall or The Village. I'm fairly young for a postgrad so want to live somewhere that is a bit of craic but also not too crazy!

Anybody any recommendations?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

ImDave wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a postgrad in UCC in September, and trying to decide where to live. What would people recommend, Deans Hall or The Village. I'm fairly young for a postgrad so want to live somewhere that is a bit of craic but also not too crazy!

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as yourself, I'm starting a postgrad in September swell, but I'm still only 20! Wanna live somewhere dats a bitt a craic, bt don't want to be surrounded by 1st years either.

I have never been to cork in my life so have no idea what to expect. Do most student live in student accommodation down there or do many people rent private houses. I never stayed in student accommodation in Galway. I am used to havin a private house, but would consider student accommodation as I do not know a single person in cork, and it would probably be easier to meet people in student accommodation. However it seems pretty expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations, or suggestions?.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

ImDave wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks!

Deans Hall is practically in town, you'll be on the door step of all the pubs and clubs and can just roll in and out of them! Its near enough to college but it depends what course you're doing. If your going to be based in aras na laoi or the western gate building could be a 20 min walk! Its a big enough accom. so I reckon there would be a decent student community there but it is located at the opposite side of campus to all the other student accommodations. Personally Ive stayed in the Village so I would recommend it. Its good craic there ,All the facilities you could want, can get a bit noisy at times but there is a security man who will actually do something if you complain compared to other places. Thats just a short description you can PM me if there is something more specific you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

doyler442 wrote: »
    Hi

That is a lot alright, calculating it up for Sept 5th 2011 to Aug 20th 2012 against a room in a house @ €320 per month or approx €73.85 per week

Ensuite Apt room = €6480
    Ordinary Apt room = €5780
    room in house = €3680

The bills should be slightly cheaper in the apts alright but you won't have a difference of €2350 or €2100

Did ye try the Postgrad/Mature students section of the UCC accomodation office? LINK

Just checked the grade A houses and a lot are around the €80 per week/ €347 per month/ ~€4000 for the Sep - Aug period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fruit salad

I'm an outgoing postgraduate student. I'd suggest booking off a couple days and lining up as many appointments off daft.ie as possible. With room sharing on daft you are more likely to be living with postgraduate or working people than first/second year students, which I guess you would prefer. The accomodation on the ucc is either overpriced apartment complexes or absolute dumps. I got a lovely place 5 minute walk to the college for 80 a week.

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willoflood

Hey,

Does anyone know if any of the student accomadation appartments will let you stay for just one semester (Sept-Dec)? Or if its easy to find a house for short term during that time frame?

Doing a postgrad but only one semester in UCC, the other two are abroad.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dani404

Hi I was wondering is there anyone out there looking for accomodation in cork for college.. im startin a postgrad in UCC and found a really nice house but cna on ly b rented if i gt a few more people.. its only 10 mins frm ucc and a really nice area 70 for sinlge an 80 for double.. im 23 and outgoing so i dont want really boring people or also to b having house parties every week either.. anyone looking to rent ????

Advertisement