Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to max out speed

• 24-05-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I got upc 100mb broadband installed on Saturday. I have my laptop upstairs, but my router is downstairs. This is due to the upc box being downstairs. I obviously want to max out my connection, but wireless woulod be too low. Would I be better off getting homeplugs or lan cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I would have thought a lan cable but have you wireless N capabilities? I've heard it's decent although I haven't tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lan cable would be cheapest and fastest, but also most invasive. As poster suggests, a wireless - n rated router would be probable best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Wireless N will NOT max out your 100meg connection it get close but not full thunder I will get you around 70-80 megs of it...

Also I had gigabit homeplugs for my 100meg connection which still wouldn't do the full line (possibly down to the wiring in the house) I ended up running a cable to my room, there really is no substitute for it. Get 114megs regularly down the line with this setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A Cat5 cable does gigabit (1000 Mbit/s), its a no-brainer not to run a cable if at all possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

fionny wrote: »
    Wireless N will NOT max out your 100meg connection it get close but not full thunder I will get you around 70-80 megs of it...

Also I had gigabit homeplugs for my 100meg connection which still wouldn't do the full line (possibly down to the wiring in the house) I ended up running a cable to my room, there really is no substitute for it. Get 114megs regularly down the line with this setup.

So decided to buy a wireless n dongle today, but the speed was worse than my current card in my laptop. I think my only option would be to run a cable from my router downstairs up to my room. The only thing about this is that it will be a bit messy. How did you run yours up? I was thinking of running it inder the carpets or something along those lines.

• Advertisement

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    So decided to buy a wireless n dongle today, but the speed was worse than my current card in my laptop. I think my only option would be to run a cable from my router downstairs up to my room. The only thing about this is that it will be a bit messy. How did you run yours up? I was thinking of running it inder the carpets or something along those lines.

You have many options, outside and cable tied neat behind a drainpipe, in the existing conduit beside tv coax, under carpet. Every house is different though. You're best to get cat 5 cable rather than a made up patch lead, get someone with a crimping tool to crimp it for you

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You have many options, outside and cable tied neat behind a drainpipe, in the existing conduit beside tv coax, under carpet. Every house is different though. You're best to get cat 5 cable rather than a made up patch lead, get someone with a crimping tool to crimp it for you

Whats a crimping tool? I think the best way would be to run it under the carpets up to the room. Im terrible with measurements, what lenght would be suitable? I know you don't know the layout of my house :)

Whats a crimping tool? I think the best way would be to run it under the carpets up to the room. Im terrible with measurements, what lenght would be suitable? I know you don't know the layout of my house :)

Max length is 100m so unless you live in Aras an Uachtaran you'll be fine. A crimping tool is a press tool for connecting the connector ends (rj45), someone working in IT or telecoms will have one, very few electricians have although some do.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8J_8JNxsCyN2SHqKDlcMZg6S6H5pHPw9yRxP69Mm3rCHjehGA7A&t=1

I take it a crimping tool is something similar to this,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-457054-271-Crimping-Tool/dp/B000WTNFBK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306351113&sr=8-5

I should be able to buy the cable off the net fairly handy anyway.

• Advertisement

No, thats a pre-made patch cable with the ends already crimped, What you need is to find out your distance and get some like this. Ask any electrician, they will have some or go for the deal on this page.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat5e-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-Cable/dp/B000Q6LSBS/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1306355653&sr=1-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Any electrical suppliers worth their salt will have Cat5 cable in stock, just measure the length that you need add a few feet on to it for good measure and then ask the local electrical wholesalers for it, think it works out around 10c a foot or so.

They can also supply you with the RJ45 connectors which are around 75c.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Any electrical suppliers worth their salt will have Cat5 cable in stock, just measure the length that you need add a few feet on to it for good measure and then ask the local electrical wholesalers for it, think it works out around 10c a foot or so.

They can also supply you with the RJ45 connectors which are around 75c.

Excellent, thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

While you are there, ask what trunking(white plastic tubing for concealing wiring) they have. A few lengths will tidy up the wires nicely. Most have adhesive backing and removable front face.

ArtyM wrote: »
    While you are there, ask what trunking(white plastic tubing for concealing wiring) they have. A few lengths will tidy up the wires nicely. Most have adhesive backing and removable front face.

Thanks for the suggestion. Have just been down to my local wesco. They said for a 50m cat5 cable it would be €30, and also said they do chrimping tools and rj45. Just wanted to make sure that this is a good price before buying it. I just need to decide the best way of doing it now, thinking about putting it under the carpets, but the stairs may be a bit tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy a reel and the tool, if you're anyway inclined towards tech, you'll find use for them(I've wired our whole house, a bloody bungalow with a low lying roof and made countless cables of varying lengths for LANs[games]).

Buy a reel and the tool, if you're anyway inclined towards tech, you'll find use for them(I've wired our whole house, a bloody bungalow with a low lying roof and made countless cables of varying lengths for LANs[games]).

Ah yes I am inclined towards tech as you put it, but I just don't know if I will be using it again. Have the xbox connected to the router, just the laptop is all I need.

Ah yes I am inclined towards tech as you put it, but I just don't know if I will be using it again. Have the xbox connected to the router, just the laptop is all I need.

For now...................you will need cat 5 to every TV in future, I guarantee it :cool:

As Lethal_Bullet said, get the box, its better value

For now...................you will need cat 5 to every TV in future, I guarantee it :cool:

As Lethal_Bullet said, get the box, its better value

On the advice of the experts, the box seems the best option. Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

actually an off the shelf cable would probably be better if a 10m would do, or you can locate a 20m patch cable.

just make sure you have all 8 ends flush with the end of the rj45 connector, cut twice , crimp once

Spent about 4 hours putting in the cable on Saturday. Got the 100m cable and ran it from the router downstairs through 2 walls and the up along the stairs. Was a bit of a pain getting the carpets up in places and putting them back down. Took me 2 attempts with the rj45's, but got there in the end. Did a speedtest on the line today and was tipping 80mb down, 7mb up. All in all im pretty happy with how it went, have loads of cabling left over if I need to run into the other living rooms in the future. Thanks for everyones help.

Advertisement