Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stallion build wheels

• 24-05-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭

Doea anyone know anything about stallion build wheels? I've been having trouble with my back wheel on the road (I'm a big guy) and a bike mechanic has recommended that I get stallion build wheels for strength. I've been looking for information about them online but I can't find much. Does anyone know anything about them? My current wheels are these http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXA57/planet-x-a57-wheelset and I always knew they wouldn't be strong enough. If anyone can point me in the direction of more information about stallion build wheels, I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A more common term is "Clydesdales".

Fulcrums have a good reputation for strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Thanks Lumen, I'm familiar with the term Clydesdale to mean a big cyclist, and I keep an eye on the Clydesdale forum on www.bikeforums.com but there's no mention of stallion built wheels there either. The bike mechanic described it as a (new?) technique of building wheels while the rims are under great pressure (in a machine or something). It results in very strong wheels apparently, and not hugely expensive either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've heard of Clydesdale build wheels before. But never Stallion. Are you sure the guy in the bike shop isn't getting mixed up on the terminology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Jeffwode,
    I'm in the same situation as you are. I'm a clydesdale and I recently pulled a few nipples out of my rear rim. I've been advised to get handbuilt wheels made with 36 spokes. I think I'll be going for Mavic Open Pro Rims with a Shimano 105 or Ultegra hub and DT Swiss spokes.
    I did see a reference to a Stallion build before on this page (mainly american brands) http://www.superclydesdale.com/?cat=12
    I think Stallion was aimed at very strong riders who are smaller than a clydesdale and bigger than a mountain goat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm 100 kilos have a 36 spoke wheel on tiagra hubs and mavic opensport rims
    on the commuting bike broken one spoke on that

have shimano rs-10 on the focus and not had a problem yet ( a year and half)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

I've read the term stallion on either Zipp or Hed wheels website (can't remember which but think it was Hed) - basically wheels with a higher (ie. unlimited) max weight limit for the rider. The memory I have is that they had a higher spoke count, though my memory is a little hazy on it so I can't guarantee it's that simple - or that Zipp/Hed will say it's that simple:D.

abc_xyz wrote: »
    I've read the term stallion on either Zipp or Hed wheels website (can't remember which but think it was Hed) - basically wheels with a higher (ie. unlimited) max weight limit for the rider. The memory I have is that they had a higher spoke count, though my memory is a little hazy on it so I can't guarantee it's that simple - or that Zipp/Hed will say it's that simple:D.

Zipp's latest euphemism is "Max", as in Zipp 404 Max Tubular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Never heard of stallion build wheels, only clydesdales riders as previously mentioned. In terms of factory built wheels I don't think you can go wrong with Mavic, bulletproof.
    I'm 100kg and have a set of Mavic Ksyrium ES on the road bike. Was a bit nervous initially as they're a light wheel with only 18 spokes on the front and 20 on the back but after about 3,000km on some horrendous roads around Leinster they're perfectly true and never once required any truing.
    I've broken numerous spokes on the 36 spoked commuter mtb, granted they're old wheels with steel spokes and could be susceptible to corrosion. I haven't broken any of the stainless steel spokes I've replaced those with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Thanks for all your input. The thing is, the bike mechanic described a building technique I'd never heard of before, which made me think that it was more like a building system than a brand, or just a term to describe a strong build. He said that the rims are held in a circular device/ machine / yoke that puts them under a lot of uniform pressure while the spokes are being added, laced or whatever the term is. I have a feeling this is a new thing, not just a term. He said there was some one doing it on the outskirts of Dublin and that hardcore, abuse merchant mountain bikers were mad about the wheels.

Abc_xyz, Hed was the only site I could find that mentioned Stallion build.

Anyway, I'll ask for more detail next time I'm in the shop. I think I'm going to need a new back wheel before I do the Maracycle.

I don't need 150 wheels a day, but I still want one of these.

• Advertisement

And cool stuff from Hope...

Advertisement