Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defend a game you thought was good

Options
  • 24-05-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

Seen a thread about defending a film earlier so i thought id throw up a game thread,my first game would be star wars:shadows of the empire on the n64.
    http://www.gamespot.com/n64/adventure/starwarsshadowsoftheempire/index.html

a lot of people hated this game but i loved it,there was so much diversity in the game like snowspeeders a class alternate millenium falcon,a jetpack level and a class train fight level.

so whats your fave maligned game.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Thill Kill and Robocop Versus The Terminator.

In some cases, relying on gratuitous gore works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got to say I recently play Shadow of the Empire and that game is a real stinker. Think it's the rose tinted glasses effect. There was a lot of diversity to the game but unfortunately none of the levels were any good and I'm including the supposedly amazing hoth snow speeder levels. Play the game again if you aren't convinced :P

Robocop vs. Terminator: It's alright just a woeful bang of meh off it.

As for Manhunt. Awful game that involved walking behind someone and holding x. For the whole game. Which wasn't much fun.

Deadly Premonition: Yes it has some of the worst gameplay ever but I still found it to be the most compelling and interesting game of last year and the story and conclusion were well worth it. It took a massive dump all over Heavy Rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Got to say I recently play Shadow of the Empire and that game is a real stinker. Think it's the rose tinted glasses effect. There was a lot of diversity to the game but unfortunately none of the levels were any good and I'm including the supposedly amazing hoth snow speeder levels. Play the game again if you aren't convinced :p

bah you:pac:

non mod note: no game bashing,we shall call this rule the retr0gamerrule;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So you want no bashing of the games people defend on this thread? If so I'll shut my mouth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Robocop vs. Terminator: It's alright just a woeful bang of meh off it.

Wrong.
    As for Manhunt. Awful game that involved walking behind someone and holding x. For the whole game. Which wasn't much fun.

I always wondered what it would be like to tear someones testicles off with a pliers. Now I know.
    Deadly Premonition: Yes it has some of the worst gameplay ever but I still found it to be the most compelling and interesting game of last year and the story and conclusion were well worth it. It took a massive dump all over Heavy Rain.

People keep comparing it to Alan Wake too for some reason. It's in a league of it's own. Can honestly say I've never really played anything like it.

Okay so maybe I've watched something like it made by David Lynch, but never played :D

• Advertisement

Comparing deadly premonition to alan wake is an insult to it's good name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

So you want no bashing of the games people defend on this thread? If so I'll shut my mouth :)

well your a mod you can do as you please:D

Nope I can't make a rule for the thread and I'll follow it :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well since we're on the subject of Alan Wake, I'll defend that. I will set out first and foremost that the gameplay does get repetitive, most definitely. It is also fairly shamelessly derivative of many influences. However, I'd say the same things about Deadly Premonition. What Deadly Premonition lacks - and this is a more than significant point unfairly passed over by defenders of the game IMO, and I do most certainly like the 'game' - is anything compellingly playable. Alan Wake has that. The interplay of light and dark, a rock solid game engine and a story which what it lacks in originality makes up for with a refreshing hybrid of psychological character studies and tense action. It also has the guts to end on an ambiguous, complex note that suggests a sequel could be very special indeed.

It doesn't make the most out of its ideas at times - indeed, the first DLC chapter introduces a wonderful mechanic that's quickly passed over. And barring its repetition, it's still a unique and engaging experience, a story that isn't dumbed down. Where Deadly Premonition was a technical mess with a Twin Peaks-lite story (and lets be honest - it isn't Twin Peaks at its peak), Alan Wake was a technical marvel with a Stephen King-lite story. That has to count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Alpha protocol

Despite its bugs and glitches i enjoyed the game very much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well here it goes:

Brink ( shocker, I know ) - I personally love it, but the console version Is awefull because of the peer 2 peer bull****. I will be trading in my xbox version and picking up pc one. Dedicated servers with zero bots ftw. ( I know how boards.ie hates this game and people who liked it, so let's leave it at this. )

Kane and lynch 2 - it was totally destroyed by reviewers and players who were upset with all that k&n 1 gamespot incident. I got that game for 8 quid and totally loved it. The ending was rubbish allright, but game isnot as bad as people make. Not game of the year, but enjoyable.

Settlers 7 - one of the best strategy games in awile. I love it. Back to proper settlers roots. And thanks got it's not trying to be anather Warcraft 3. No one of my friends have not even heard of it. I was so damn surprised :(. Remember playing it on my old 200mhz 32ram and 2mb video beast! Still love it Om my iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

+1 for Alpha Protocol, awesome game. Poor Obsidian, they deserved much better reviews from the gaming press. The depth and impact of the decisions you made were miles ahead of other games at the time, including Bioware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

most recently it's got to be the first templar

now, i KNOW that it's awful. there can be absolutely no denying that and i accept it, but when you look past the staggering technical ineptitude of the game, there's something there that's actually a little special. im not talking about clever gameplay mechanics or anything like that, just the fact that a game so utterly terrible had me coming back to it time and again until id pumped more than 15 hours into it

that VERY rarely happens for me due to the massive volume of games i have to play for work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Doom 32X

It seems as though the popular opinion of this game is that it was the worst version around. It had less levels, the sound was awful, it had a large border around the screen etc...

When I first got the game that was not my impression at all. I thought it was excellent. It was certainly far superior to any other shooter I had on the Mega Drive like Zero Tolerance. For a time Doom justified my purchase of the 32X, albeit a short time.

I still have the game but no 32X system so I can't play it now. If I did go back and play it I'm sure I would feel differently but for now I remember it as a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Splinter Cell: Double Agent
    It had Splinter Cell written on it.
    Nuff said :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ok, here goes, nobody is gonna agree with me.

Far Cry 2

I loved it.

It let me play the full game as a sniper and I loved the open world, I didn't like the re-spawning checkpoints, and it got a bit repetitive but what FPS doesn't.

I just got such a kick out of sniping guys at bases from way off, the shooting things that would explode and set the place on fire, then stroll in with my Desert Eagle and blow the survivors away. Fun times.

Let the flaming begin.

Alone in the dark. (the recent 'reboot')

Was vilified by a lot of people, admittedly the driving sections are horrible but other than that I found it a pretty decent survival horror, which is a rarity on this generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd say Alan Wake as well. I bought it without reading any reviews and before i played it i started to see that it was getting bad feedback in reviews etc. So i started to play it thinking it'd probably be bad but it surprised me and i enjoyed the game.

Another game ill defend is Bioshock 2. It thought it get judged a bit harshly. I thought it was nearly as good as the first. Playing as the Big Daddy was cool and i liked the new weapons. Also i thought the hacking was better in this one. A lot quicker and easier. And the story was good although not as good as the story from the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ok, here goes, nobody is gonna agree with me.

Far Cry 2

I loved it.

It let me play the full game as a sniper and I loved the open world, I didn't like the re-spawning checkpoints, and it got a bit repetitive but what FPS doesn't.

I just got such a kick out of sniping guys at bases from way off, the shooting things that would explode and set the place on fire, then stroll in with my Desert Eagle and blow the survivors away. Fun times.

Let the flaming begin.

I thought it was a decent game, completely ruined by respawning enemies. And i mean completely freaking ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Kane and lynch 2 - it was totally destroyed by reviewers and players who were upset with all that k&n 1 gamespot incident. I got that game for 8 quid and totally loved it. The ending was rubbish allright, but game isnot as bad as people make. Not game of the year, but enjoyable.

I know theres a rule against game bashing but shag it i don't care! I have to say kane and lynch 2 made my head hurt, it got picked apart in reviews for a very good reason, although it cost me 20 quid, (i had no idea about the game and just bought it for the sake of it, NEVER AGAIN) that being said cheap or not it was still a load of arse.

I heard a fair few people go on about the witcher 1 being a load of ****e and saw some dodgey reviews but i actually really liked it, now the combat was a load of ****e i'm not denying that but rpgs don't often have amazing combat, i just really enjoyed the game overal, now if only the witcher 2 ran well on my computer :*(

I wonder if anyone actually liked dragon age 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I quite like Farcry 2 as well, it did something different with the FPS, which is pretty rare, and had some incredible technical achievements - the fire spreading effect is amazing. The only problem is that it's a bit of a pain to navigate the game world, and the towns have a lack of things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Spunge wrote: »
    I thought it was a decent game, completely ruined by respawning enemies. And i mean completely freaking ruined

That was the only major problem i had with it anyway. It was really taking the piss that you'd wipe out an enemy camp only to find they were all respawned less than 5 minutes later.

Also the AI being random about how easily it could spot you. Sometimes being spotted by guys 100 metres away while hiding in thick bushes was frustrasting while a guy 10 metres away wouldn't have spotted anything.

So many games that I loved but seemed unpopular:

Star Wars Galaxies - I had an insanely well equiped bounty hunter up until the first "revamp". I had a feared Jedi Kill crew and amazing player hunts most nights during the week. Fond memories of this sandbox MMO - looking forward to something else similar soon.

Just Cause 2 - couldn't get people into this, but it's a fun game to jump into, cause some havok and leave alone.

Vietcong - such an amazing underated game. Best co-op lan game I can remember, still to this day!

Spiderman 2 on PS2. Best high / drunk game ever.

Killing Floor - great atmosphere, really nice take on team shooter but never seemed to take off. Lacked polish but me thinks its the basis for a great future zombie shooter.

Magicka - Couldn't get people into this either, its amazing fun, really innovative.

Sins of a Solar empire - awesome game - don't know anyone who played it.

Carmageddon Say no more.

Stronghold Never met anyone who liked this game. I adored it!

Many many many more I can't recall, I had funny taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Star Wars Galaxies - I had an insanely well equiped bounty hunter up until the first "revamp". I had a feared Jedi Kill crew and amazing player hunts most nights during the week. Fond memories of this sandbox MMO - looking forward to something else similar soon.

Just Cause 2 - couldn't get people into this, but it's a fun game to jump into, cause some havok and leave alone.

Vietcong - such an amazing underated game. Best co-op lan game I can remember, still to this day!

Killing Floor - great atmosphere, really nice take on team shooter but never seemed to take off. Lacked polish but me thinks its the basis for a great future zombie shooter.

Magicka - Couldn't get people into this either, its amazing fun, really innovative.

Carmageddon Say no more.

Couldn't quite get into just cause 2, the controls are pretty finicky on the pc, spider man 2 and magicka are awesome though ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Carmageddon Say no more.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I think 90% of gamers loved those games.

Nier: Not exactly the best hack and slash game but it's still competent and really fun. However it's at it's best when it's changing up the gameplay and it constantly surprises. One minute it's a hack and slash, the next it's more like diablo, a bullet hell shooter or even a text adventure. Also it's got probably the best soundtrack in the last 10 years and a great story even if it's very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Well since we're on the subject of Alan Wake, I'll defend that. I will set out first and foremost that the gameplay does get repetitive, most definitely. It is also fairly shamelessly derivative of many influences. However, I'd say the same things about Deadly Premonition. What Deadly Premonition lacks - and this is a more than significant point unfairly passed over by defenders of the game IMO, and I do most certainly like the 'game' - is anything compellingly playable. Alan Wake has that. The interplay of light and dark, a rock solid game engine and a story which what it lacks in originality makes up for with a refreshing hybrid of psychological character studies and tense action. It also has the guts to end on an ambiguous, complex note that suggests a sequel could be very special indeed.

It doesn't make the most out of its ideas at times - indeed, the first DLC chapter introduces a wonderful mechanic that's quickly passed over. And barring its repetition, it's still a unique and engaging experience, a story that isn't dumbed down. Where Deadly Premonition was a technical mess with a Twin Peaks-lite story (and lets be honest - it isn't Twin Peaks at its peak), Alan Wake was a technical marvel with a Stephen King-lite story. That has to count for something.

I really enjoyed alan wake for what it was aswel, as a game it completely ****s all over Deadly Premonition.

Comparing Deadly Premonition to heavy rain is an interesting one.... On one hand you have a very dynamic interactive movie in heavy rain with a half decent story... and the other you have a decent story that is about as interactive as a block of wood... as a game... D.Premonition is a 1/10... In my opinion ofc. That being said, i didnt think much of heavy rain either, it was good enough to make me play through it in one sitting and then replay the last few scenes to see some alternate endings tho.

A game that i've got very fond memories of is Jade's Cocoon, wasn't really slated or anything but its a game no1 ever mentions. I loved it... but i guess i was only 12 or so when i played it.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but I think 90% of gamers loved those games.

Not bursting my bubble at all - the people around me at the time didn't rate these games, I don't know how popular they are / were.

Glad to hear I have mainstream tastes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Laisurg wrote: »
    Couldn't quite get into just cause 2, the controls are pretty finicky on the pc

Just use a 360 joypad (or equivalent) if you can. Takes away all those problems and lets you have fun.

As for games that i liked that make people look at me funny -

Spore.
    I enjoyed the hell out of creating different species and their civilisation based on what i thought would be the likely progression. And the content sharing system was really well done. The Space stage was a little rubbish at first, but it got balanced with patches but even so the scope of the universe is pretty impressive, and to hell with spode worshipers.

Alpha Protocol.
    One of the few games where being a dick means you're actually a dick as opposed to a total sociopath. And a consequence system that is well ahead of it's contemporaries in it's scope, and effectiveness at allowing you to actually manipulate and control the situation you're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Legend of Dragoon

This did exactly what it needed to which was hurl another RPG at gamers after FF7 had convinced half the world that RPG games could be worth playing. LoD is a simplistic RPG with some colourful environments and some interesting, although unpopular gameplay choices.

......ah I can't do it, I'm trying to troll Retr0 :D

Advertisement