Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defend a game you thought was good

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

God I hate Legend of Dragoon so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Command & Conquer: Generals

I think most of the hate for this comes from the fact that it was EA's first first-party developed C&C game and it was just never given a chance by long time fans of the series.

It's arguably the best C&C game and easily ranks up there with Red Alert 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dino Rex: One of the most impressive and deep fighting games ever made. The fluidity of the fighting engine and how many options and permutations are open to the player makes games like SF3 Third Strike and Mark of the Wolves seem so simplistic. It's also got a great single player mode with a real message. It's a journey through time showing the evolution of mankind and how me may eventually destroy ourselves.

It's also got a dinosaur that looks like barney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

WWE Crush Hour [PS2]

A game where you drive around arenas in cars with guns strapped on and shooting others. But... it's a WWE game. All of the 20 or so stars have their own car, guns, specials, etc. [strangely Billy and Chuck had the best cars :confused:]. I'd spend ages playing that game. The first game I ever sold and re-bought because I wanted more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I dont know why people are comparing Deadly Premonition to Heavy Rain. :confused:

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

To be honest it had more in common with Alan Wake. The small town in the middle of nowhere with weird goings on, the protaganist who is visiting the town, the enemies being shadow/ghosts.

However York completely trumps Alan Wake in terms of character. Wake was boring and forgettable and York was York.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Urban Chaos on the ps1. I thought it was great. Everyone else who I knew that played it thought it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I dont know why people are comparing Deadly Premonition to Heavy Rain. :confused:

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

http://improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume1/v1i3/air-1-3-apples.html

So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not bursting my bubble at all - the people around me at the time didn't rate these games, I don't know how popular they are / were.

Glad to hear I have mainstream tastes!

well then you got a good taste, atleast in my eyes :D. i have to warn you thought, my taste wouldnt be most popular in these parts of boards.ie :D

stronghold was just plain awesome, then stronghold crusades came out which was epic too. i will need to get bouth from GOG.com . these games remind me of settlers, and i LOVE settlers!

carmaggedon - pure fun on pc. best carapocaliptic game in my book!

killing floor is great. for me l4d < killing floor. way more crack with lads then l4d. "i am trying to heal you, not shag you!"

starwars galaxies was one of the best mmorpgs back then, it still would be if they would not go balls up. Ultima online suffered same fate :(. Unfortunatly i was late to the party when bouth those games were BIG! :(

wasnt spiderman 2 one of the most favorite games of yatzee? he knows his **** :D.

and thats the scratch on your list. ;)

you might thing that nobody likes them, becouse you are pc gamer surrounded by console gamers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wake was boring and forgettable and York was Dale Cooper :P

FYP ;)

Don't want to sound like I'm putting Deadly Premonition down - I can only restress I'm glad to have played through such an interesting game. But it really is a shameless rip off of Twin Peaks at times. An eccentric FBI agent with a penchant for coffee visiting a strange small town, talking to a potentially imaginary friend and having weird dreams in which he is visited by small people? If we're going to call Alan Wake out for being derivative (I'm not disagreeing) at least let us call Deadly Premonition up on it too!

Twin Peaks doesn't have an awesome whistle theme though.

Deadly Premonition did derivative better. It also has the best use of amazing grace ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Deadly Premonition did derivative better :)

As long as you weren't, you know, actually playing the game ;)

I think the fact that the narrative made wading through those awful shooting sections worthwhile says a lot :) Despite the better gameplay in Alan Wake I wasn't compelled to finish it at all and my short time playing in my friends was enough for me.

But yeah DP is more a fantastic experience than game. Still thoroughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think the fact that the narrative made wading through those awful shooting sections worthwhile says a lot :) Despite the better gameplay in Alan Wake I wasn't compelled to finish it at all and my short time playing in my friends was enough for me.

But yeah DP is more a fantastic experience than game. Still thoroughly enjoyable.

Oh... so you haven't properly played the game.. good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

i really liked eat lead thought it was funny and just a really good game.
    Deadly Premonition was one of the top 3 games of last year imo

Magill wrote: »
    Oh... so you haven't properly played the game.. good to know.

Played about 4 hours, probably half the game. Bored the titties off me. Not bad but just absolutely nothing standing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Played about 4 hours, probably half the game. Bored the titties off me. Not bad but just absolutely nothing standing out.

ahh... Yeah i'd agree with that i guess. Certainly didn't seem like a game that took 4 or 5 years to develop, its more like a 10-15 hour game for a first playthrough tho.

I enjoyed it in fairness, bit slow at first. The last 2 chapters were probably the best imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think Alan Wake was originally supposed to be more open and sandbox like so maybe thats where the few years of development went into.

I'll probably try it again when I pick it up at bargain bin prices.

I think I need to lower my hyperbole quotient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Enter the Matrix. The controls were kinda woeful but apart from that I loved it, Must have played the post office level about 100 times.

Some of the moves you could do in it were the coolest things I've seen in any game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Doom 3. torch thing was annoying but if you switched into a doom 2 mentality of "lets rock" and just power through ignoring the atmosphere it was a great blaster. similarly, it had some great level design and the whole complex looked fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Resident Evil 5

So much hate for this game, mainly from fans of old-school RE or people who couldn't get past the stop-to-shoot dynamic.

Yes it doesn't have the atmosphere of the old survival horror games but thats because it isn't a survival horror game! If you look beyond that fact it's a really enjoyable and different shooter. The innability to move and shoot creates all sorts of tactical nuances that invigorate crowd-control scenes and force you to utilise alternative strategies.

I thought the co-op was great too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Mirrors Edge.

I enjoyed the difficulty in the free running and the climbing. the POV used for it was engaging and helped give a better understanding of the scale and thus the excitment of the jumps. A game where i could shoot my way out, but that probably wasnt the best plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

folan wrote: »
    Mirrors Edge.

I enjoyed the difficulty in the free running and the climbing. the POV used for it was engaging and helped give a better understanding of the scale and thus the excitment of the jumps. A game where i could shoot my way out, but that probably wasnt the best plan

Who thought ME was a bad game exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Who thought ME was a bad game exactly?
    Paul, Mike and Tom to name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

EGriff wrote: »
    Enter the Matrix. The controls were kinda woeful but apart from that I loved it, Must have played the post office level about 100 times.

Some of the moves you could do in it were the coolest things I've seen in any game.

Loved it personally (and also played the post office level about 100 times, just to see the guards ragdolls flying around when I kicked them :D).

Path of Neo was also excellent. Got totally hooked on it for about 5 days straight when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Alone in the Dark for Xbox360. It's an unfinished, unpolished mess and the opening levels are dreadful. But damn the core mechanics are just so cool.

Can honestly say that Enter the Matrix was one of the worst games I had the misfortune to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Alot of games that were generally well reviewed and received being talked about here which is surprising to me.

Someone else mentioned Kane And Lynch 2 and thats the one I'm going to agree with. The original game was a steamer with broken controls, broken cover system and overall just horrible game mechanics. Still I played through it and completed it but it was choresome. The sequel fixes a few problems but still suffers from some poor control mechanics but I overlooked that cause the style of the game was great. I loved the visual style of the hand held camera moving along behind you. The fire fights felt gritty at close quarters too and while it does get bogged down at times it was overall a huge improvement on the original and good craic to batter through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Enter the Matrix, I loved that game.

I hate Alone in the Dark though, there can be no defense of that mess.

I hated Alan Wake too, such a snorefest.

Every time i see it mentioned, I think I need to get it, but I don't cause I fear its gonna be utter crap. Deadly Premonition is what I am talking about, and it gets mentioned a lot here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I'm not swayed by the love letters to Deadly Premonition at all. I've seen enough of it to know it's not for me and frankly just cause it's got a good story or some interesting scenes doesn't make wading through a broken game anymore appealing.

Sounds like the reverse of Bayonetta to me. The gameplay was great and the cut scenes were boring, over indulgent sh!t@ that for whatever reason I didn't skip. I could live with it cause the gameplay was there. Take that away and playing a tiresomely broken game for 30 - 60 mins in between story progression does not make for a good time.

Advertisement