Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defend a game you thought was good

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Command & Conquer: Generals

I think most of the hate for this comes from the fact that it was EA's first first-party developed C&C game and it was just never given a chance by long time fans of the series.

It's arguably the best C&C game and easily ranks up there with Red Alert 2.
    I must say the single player campaign of Generals is dreadful and its general gameplay is sloppy and needed a lot of polish.

Thankfully Zero Hour really fixed it up a lot. The engine was optimised much better and little thinks like moving radar scans and other abilities to the sidebar and putting the intelligence ability in the strategy centre vastly improved the game.

The story campaign was still pretty **** but the generals challenge and multiplayer in Zero Hour were really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The Darkness. I know a lot of people ripped on (Retr0 can pass on the rule and bash away!!) Though it was nice to play a FPS that wasn't a military shooter and added something different; duel wielding, special powers and the little dudes added a bit of humour. Plenty of easter eggs as well by just sitting and watching the TV....full version of To kill a mockingbird (though not all of it was good, also got some Ricky Gervais stand up :(:pac:) etc and I am a sucker for collectables.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

djkeogh wrote: »
    I'm not swayed by the love letters to Deadly Premonition at all. I've seen enough of it to know it's not for me and frankly just cause it's got a good story or some interesting scenes doesn't make wading through a broken game anymore appealing.

If you want a good story and an interesting game it's well worth it but you have to work for it and forgive a lot of flaws! Definitely not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I enjoyed The Darkness as well. Using the darkness to rip the hearts out of the enemies and watch the two heads fight over it never got old. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you want a good story and an interesting game it's well worth it but you have to work for it and forgive a lot of flaws! Definitely not for everyone.

It was the combat that let it down really. It felt a bit tacked on. I hated those sections and couldn't wait to get them over with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Legend of Dragoon.

Good music.
    Good battle system.
    Good graphics.

Generic but hey, still a good game.

Not to troll Retr0 but to stand up for a game I like...!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only thing there that I see beyond defense is the battle system. The button prompt thing was really badly handled. It made even the simplest battle drag on for way too long. There was no strategy considering your options to attack were limited to attack or defend with no magic or elemental weaknesses to think about which made it boring. Thinking about it now I can't think of another RPG battle system that was worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I always wanted to play superman 64 just to see how long will i last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Aliens vs. Predator 2010

I couldn't help enjoy it, Such a big fan of both franchises

Shadowrun

I think the lack of singleplayer really killed this game, still great though

Killing floor

Nobody has heard of this game! Beats nazi zombies for me any day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of STALKER fans were down on Clear Sky but I thought that was the best installment of the series by quite a bit after having played and finished all three of them. It played tighter than the other two, not too much of being at a loose end and it had a better upgrade system along with making artifact hunting more realistic though I couldn't get my head around that bit at the time......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One I got reminded of today when I heard one of the songs from the sound track was Aggressive Inline for ps2.

God I loved that game, everyone I know hated it at the time, but I sank so much time into it trying to get everything and back before I ahd easy access to internet to help me. I was playing it for the pure fun/love of the game.

If I had the money I would get a ps2 and this as well as a few others.

being cheeky and mentioning 2 games now.

Shadow of memories also on ps2, another one nobody I knew played or even heard of. Once you finished it I was possible to play through it super fast to get the different endings, one of the 1st games I remember being consequences / different branch to a choice you make (outside of an rpg genre). This also in my top 5 for games I want to see a sequel too but will likely never see :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i think all of us be back on here when duke nukem forever comes out , i dont care if it gets a 27 on metacritic i be all over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Stronghold Never met anyone who liked this game. I adored it!
    Loved that game, and especially Stronghold:Crusader, still play it alot...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

51JqclrhvGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Not perfect, but I loved this game.

961301_141842_front.jpg
    It's not great, infact it's just about "17 quid, split screen with the missus" good. but worth a mention.

madworld%20wii.jpg
    Worth a fiver in HMV? A bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mirrors Edge, what, I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Halo series - great games each and every one of them. There's huge success for them both sales wise and critically but there's been a big backlash against them among the more hardcore and many look down their nose at the series.

The first is up there with Half-Life in terms of importance to FPS games, more specifically console FPS games. It was a revelation at the time, doing everything that PC FPS had been doing and more, it still plays brilliantly and aside from the library section, has perfect pacing.

The second, while a rushed singly player game, remained eminently playable offline. Online it was the game that proved the viability of online consoles. It was revolutionary for an online console game, and justified the existance of Xbox Live. It's a shame that it's no longer playable online because I believe it would still stack up today.

Halo 3 is where the backlash against the series hit home. It was heralded THE online console game but over exposure, a single player campaign that did little new and the growing popularity of the CoD series meant that it was over shadowed. Online again, it continued to lead the way with Forge the stat tracking and some of the best multi-player maps seen on a console.

ODST is an interesting side project that, while rehashing Halo 3's online mode, offered up a new narative that I think is second only to Halo Reach in terms of campaign mode. There's a totally new hub structure and solid diverse narative, that's the template for Reach, and some memorable set pieces and non-set piece battles.

Halo Reach is the pinacle of a brilliant series and fitting farewell for Bungie's involvement. The campaign is a brilliant, frenetic and varied game, leaving the likes of CoD light years behind with a solid and evocotive narative, that has an emotional impact like few other games in the genre.

Online is even better. The screaming angry kids have, for the most part, moved over to CoD, leaving a community that's a lot more refrained, mature and to a certaine extent, more PC like. And that's how the rest of the game feels - like an online PC game - the amount of options and freedom that you have to set your own games has led to the kind of experience you usually only see come from the PC mod community. Gamemodes like Zombies, Hockey and Skulls have all come from the Halo community and are all evolving continuously.

Anyone who's dismissed Halo Reach as just another dumb online console shooter is doing themsevles a big, big diservice and should check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

And while were at it, Sonic 4 was good game, goddamn it.

The second, while a rushed singly player game, remained eminently playable offline. Online it was the game that proved the viability of online consoles. It was revolutionary for an online console game, and justified the existance of Xbox Live. It's a shame that it's no longer playable online because I believe it would still stack up today.

Rainbow Six 3 got there first on xbox live and imo was far better. Halo 2 was just more popular.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Medal of Honor: Airborne

It wasn't without flaws, and was very short, but it did a lot of things right.

The levels were fairly open, with your choice of were to land within them. Multiple non-linear objectives spread over an area helped give the player freedom and avoid the sense of a constricted corridor, still evident in current games.

Some small RPG elements, meant using a weapon provided experience, and upgrades with the weapon, allowing players to specialize and improve.

The maps were original, walled Italian towns, a flakturm, etc, and often made good efforts to be full three dimensional.

It was available for only €2.50 on Steam a few weeks back as well.

It's flaws meant the good points were sadly overlooked, and I'd still welcome a sequel, though there's no hope of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Daikatana: Errrmmm it showed how other games should not be made.... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Here us the winner of this thread: bayonetta!

Loved it. Cheese as it is physically possible, but in a good way. Great bosses and sick visuals.

Final Fantasy 13: Yes it had it's flaws but it was far from the worst thing ever that some people make it out to be. It is extremely linear but then again most FF games are, the world map is just an illusion of freedom. The battle system is one of the best ever for a JRPG. The soundtrack was one of the best of last year. And the annoying charaters managed to get a little less annoying towards the end. It's well worth a play and it's cetainly not without merit unlike Legend of Dragoon.

krudler wrote: »
    Mirrors Edge, what, I liked it.

It had a lot going for it, and was very unique. I personally would like a squeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Final Fantasy 13: Yes it had it's flaws but it was far from the worst thing ever that some people make it out to be. It is extremely linear but then again most FF games are, the world map is just an illusion of freedom. The battle system is one of the best ever for a JRPG. The soundtrack was one of the best of last year. And the annoying charaters managed to get a little less annoying towards the end. It's well worth a play and it's cetainly not without merit unlike Legend of Dragoon.

Didn't have you down as a Leona Lewis fan.

I liked the sounds and the characters but I will not forgive its disappointment, or its design or implementation with its central area 15 hours into the game. Hell even the bloody chocobos weren't cute or fluffy enough for my liking in this version :D

Taking of JRPG , Lost Odyssey was one I went back to recently, played it for 2 hours when it came out and hated it. When I can back to it a few months back I played it for 3 weeks solid. Was very surprised by it especially after the rubbish that was blue dragon.

Lost Odyssey takes a long time to get going but once it does and the battle system starts to get better (when you realise you can change your equipment rings midbattle for no penalty) it gets really good. The dream sequences are fantastic as well, pity the main stories writing isn't as good.

Lost Odyssey takes a long time to get going but once it does and the battle system starts to get better (when you realise you can change your equipment rings midbattle for no penalty) it gets really good. The dream sequences are fantastic as well, pity the main stories writing isn't as good.

Spot on, I'd still recommend it to people but the main baddie was probably the weakest part of it all I thought. And Phil and Lil from Rugrats annoyed me too

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Frontier: First Encounters. I could write an essay as to way I think this is one of my favourite games of all time, despite being a game that was rush released on hype and only half finished as a result, but the fact that people still play and modify this game to this day is a testament to how good it really is. I still hold out for an Elite sequel (the series the game is based on), but it does seem like a huge white elephant at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Deus Ex: Invisible War. Gonna get crucified for this, but I thought (and still do) think it's a very, very good game, but you have to take it on it's own merits.

I played it before I played the original, and thought that it was a hugely entertaining FPS adventure game. I know that fans of the first Deus Ex hate it for not being more like the original, but I think if they were to play it with no preconceptions, they'd enjoy it.

I finally managed to play the original earlier in the year and while it is a better game, it's a very different and more cerebral one. Taken at face value, I think Invisible War is a fun, romp that has more in common with the likes of Half-Life than Deus Ex. Also had one of the best and most consistant multiple-choice endings I'd seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

vampire the masquerade bloodlines is an excellent game - its the first game that comes to mind when I think of a game that needs defending - It got universally panned upon release due to some buggyness (which I never really experienced) - have played through it multiplte times with multiple patches and chars/storylines and get something new out of it every playthrough

Advertisement