Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drainage pipe

• 24-05-2011 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

folks just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to the jfc drainage pipe, its good but a bit pricey, think its about 12.50 per 6m length of 4 inch, I have a place in mind thats needs pipe along with stone, wouldnt consider that yellow rubbish pipe but it will be expensive to put the jfc stuff in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

folks just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to the jfc drainage pipe, its good but a bit pricey, think its about 12.50 per 6m length of 4 inch, I have a place in mind thats needs pipe along with stone, wouldnt consider that yellow rubbish pipe but it will be expensive to put the jfc stuff in

Its twin wall corrigated drainage pipe that you are seeking. If you google it, you will see a few different suppliers of it - Wavin and egeplast are 2 off the top of my head.

However, in my personal opinion, twin wall pipe is OTT for land drainage. Its great stuff for a main drain which is straight if you allow smaller single wall pipe drains to flow into it. But unless there is going to be traffic over the pipe, a single wall 4 inch pipe which is properly bedded, surrounded and covered with gravel will do fine. If you have problems with silting in your pipes, then consider getting a larger diameter single wall pipe and using smaller diameter gravel which will remove more silt from the water.

For ordinary field drainage, single wall pipe will do the job perfectly and will be much easier on the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    Its twin wall corrigated drainage pipe that you are seeking. If you google it, you will see a few different suppliers of it - Wavin and egeplast are 2 off the top of my head.

However, in my personal opinion, twin wall pipe is OTT for land drainage. Its great stuff for a main drain which is straight if you allow smaller single wall pipe drains to flow into it. But unless there is going to be traffic over the pipe, a single wall 4 inch pipe which is properly bedded, surrounded and covered with gravel will do fine. If you have problems with silting in your pipes, then consider getting a larger diameter single wall pipe and using smaller diameter gravel which will remove more silt from the water.

For ordinary field drainage, single wall pipe will do the job perfectly and will be much easier on the pocket.

ya this would be for a main drain down the middle of the field, I was just going to stone up the wings running into it, there is a big fall off it so it should work well , just figured the jfc stuff in the main drain would hopefully be a job for a long time but its damn pricey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Vander,
    have to agree with reilig-double wall is way too expensive and not at all necessary.Depending on your ground I would put it slightly deeper if you are worried about collapse,maybe bed it in a small bit of stone to get it solid underneath.I have 4 and 6 inch main drains down over 30 years and no problems so far.In fact I have fed additional laterals into them which involved digging down to them-and they have always kept their shape and integrity.Unless the distance involved is small I would go for the single wall all the time.

Al

will take it on board boys but all I know is any old drain ive ever seen dug up in our place which was made of either that solid brown pipe with the slits or the yellow pipe was totally collapsed in spots and Id like to avoid that

will take it on board boys but all I know is any old drain ive ever seen dug up in our place which was made of either that solid brown pipe with the slits or the yellow pipe was totally collapsed in spots and Id like to avoid that

For a main drain, its not unusual to see the double wall pipe. We used it quite a bit on football pitches in the past and just fed the smaller shores into it. We would have built a manhole at each end so that if there ever was a clog of silt in it, you could get down into it and scour it out with a jetter.

However, if a single wall drainage pipe collapses in an ordinary field then it has been laid wrong. Its probably not down deep enough or else it does not have enough gravel around it - you'd be surprised how many people lay drainage pipe without putting an inch of chip into the bottom of the shore.
    Other causes could be using too big of drainage stone around the pipe or laying the pipe in soil that moves over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

be interested to know what depth the collapsed pipes where at?
    trying to figure out would there be any other reason for collapse than the pipe itself....:confused:

49801 wrote: »
    be interested to know what depth the collapsed pipes where at?
    trying to figure out would there be any other reason for collapse than the pipe itself....:confused:

they wouldnt have been deep drains anyway, bit of stone underneath and a bit of stone over the top and the earth filled back in, with the ground we have probably a waste of time anyway unless stone filled up to top

they wouldnt have been deep drains anyway, bit of stone underneath and a bit of stone over the top and the earth filled back in, with the ground we have probably a waste of time anyway unless stone filled up to top

local lad uses a specially made draining bucket on the back of his jcb.
    its has a pointed end that carries a single tooth. it digs a 3ft deep hole the bottom of which is only just a big enough for pipe and a right pain to walk along. usually only puts stones under the pipe if there is water there if you get me. gets topped up with stone then. probably leaves under a foot of soil on top then. does a good job.

49801 wrote: »
    local lad uses a specially made draining bucket on the back of his jcb.
    its has a pointed end that carries a single tooth. it digs a 3ft deep hole the bottom of which is only just a big enough for pipe and a right pain to walk along. usually only puts stones under the pipe if there is water there if you get me. gets topped up with stone then. probably leaves under a foot of soil on top then. does a good job.

There's no soil around here. You lay the pipe into the impermiable daub or marl and fill it up to the top with stone. If you don't fill to the top with stone, you were as well off throwing the stone and pipe into the lake.

reilig wrote: »
    There's no soil around here. You lay the pipe into the impermiable daub or marl and fill it up to the top with stone. If you don't fill to the top with stone, you were as well off throwing the stone and pipe into the lake.

how about a geotextile layer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement