Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuel prices

Options
  • 24-05-2011 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i got unleaded for 144.9 per litre in ardee (hoeys) is there any better value around? some of the garages are still over 150 per litre:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've to make sure decent petrol goes into my yoke and the cheapest I got was €1.49.9, anywhere charging over €1.50 are rip off merchants, all stations should have dropped by now but I still see some at €1.55.9 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hanlor

€1.36.9 in the small garage at the top of Mell,Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

That garage sells diesel only, Hanlor, just in case the "petrolheads" make a beeline for Mell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

draffodx wrote: »
    I've to make sure decent petrol goes into my yoke and the cheapest I got was €1.49.9, anywhere charging over €1.50 are rip off merchants, all stations should have dropped by now but I still see some at €1.55.9 :eek:

care to explain why that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gipi wrote: »
    That garage sells diesel only, Hanlor, just in case the "petrolheads" make a beeline for Mell :D
    :D:D

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    the cheapest I got was €1.49.9, anywhere charging over €1.50 are rip off merchants,

:p

149.9 is the cheapest and anything over 150.0 is a rip off? Not much tolerance there is there? 0.1 cent of a difference between the two classifications. Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Paid 1.549 somewhere in Figlas the other day, and 1.489 at Tesco Drogheda yesterday. I noticed that AppleGreens on Dublin road are always 2c above Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

event wrote: »
    care to explain why that is?
    :p

149.9 is the cheapest and anything over 150.0 is a rip off? Not much tolerance there is there? 0.1 cent of a difference between the two classifications. Brilliant!!

Rip off maybe was the wrong term.

What I meant is over €1.50 and the station is likely to be still selling at the older price. As in when the price of a barrel of oil comes down most petrol stations take their time mirroring the reduction on the forecourts. Whereas if the price of a barrel goes up its mirrored on the forecourts instantly.

The price of a barrel fell awhile back so garages should have mirrored that and not still be at prices like €1.55.*

*This of course could be old data as I haven't been following the price since my last post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Hanlor wrote: »
    €1.36.9 in the small garage at the top of Mell,Drogheda.

Very cheap Diesel prices in that place... it just seems to good to be true.
    Wouldn't be chancing it my machine anyway!!
    I've already had the joy of complete turbo and engine failure before... heartbreaking!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

kormak wrote: »
    I've already had the joy of complete turbo and engine failure before... heartbreaking!! :mad:

So this has raised its head again....

Instead of saying it straight due to legal reasons we were only allowed say what stations we would use and wouldnt...

That wee station at the top of Mell is owned by the same person that owns The Newry Road Service Station.

I personally would rather not put Diesel from those pumps into my car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

152.9 in dunleer:eek:

whelan1 wrote: »

139.8 Diesel in Applegreen on the M1 and 136.9 in the former Esso on the Carrick road in The Dalk.

thats for unleaded

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

which is the RRP

:D

Can we please decide if we are quoting for Diesel or Petrol. :confused::confused:

:D

Can we please decide if we are quoting for Diesel or Petrol. :confused::confused:
    if fairness as the op of this thread i did ask about unleaded prices

I shall take my Diesel elsewhere so !

*sniff*

MugMugs wrote: »
    I shall take my Diesel elsewhere so !

*sniff*
    well if someone is putting up a price put a d besdie it for diesel or p for unleaded petrol . would that be ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The heading does state FUEL prices!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kgrant1

what are people paying now? i heard fuel was meant to be coming down, yet the best i can get is 150.9 for unleaded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭K nacker

kormak wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    So this has raised its head again....

Instead of saying it straight due to legal reasons we were only allowed say what stations we would use and wouldnt...

That wee station at the top of Mell is owned by the same person that owns The Newry Road Service Station.

I personally would rather not put Diesel from those pumps into my car.

I’m in 100% agreement with MugMugs Here. Tempted to say more, but better not.:mad:

I might DYE my hair GREEN today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hold on a sec... You can't go accusing people of anything just coz you think' "it's too good to be true". Have you actually rang any of the big oil suppliers in the docks to see how much 50,000ltrs of diesel would cost you wholesale and delivered? If they said €1.10 or €1.15 or even €1.25 would you still think anyone selling for €1.36 must be dodgy??

These mini cheap diesel sellers are popping up everywhere. At least one now in Duleek, one in Ashbourne, I don't know how many in Drog. It's much much easier (ie. cheaper) to set up a diesel station than a petrol one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Scotty # wrote: »
    Hold on a sec... You can't go accusing people of anything just coz you think' "it's too good to be true". Have you actually rang any of the big oil suppliers in the docks to see how much 50,000ltrs of diesel would cost you wholesale and delivered? If they said €1.10 or €1.15 or even €1.25 would you still think anyone selling for €1.36 must be dodgy??

These mini cheap diesel sellers are popping up everywhere. At least one now in Duleek, one in Ashbourne, I don't know how many in Drog. It's much much easier (ie. cheaper) to set up a diesel station than a petrol one.

The margin on diesel and petrol is around 2% so how can you make a profit selling genuine unwashed diesel at such low prices unless you feel generous:rolleyes:

So you are telling me that all of these hundreds of garages that have popped up all over the country are selling laundered diesel in broad daylight and you have evidence to support this obviously. I presume you have been in touch with the Gardai. Or do the Gardai already know and are just turning a blind eye? Maybe Customs too? Sure we all know how those guys love to turn a blind eye to fuel laundering... especially when on such a scale that it can be seen in every town in the country in broad daylight.

And aren't they brave fools selling it in broad daylight when everyone knows it's illegal diesel. Risking Customs coming in and seizing everything they own, revenue taking the rest and then going to prison.

You believe that this is the case and your local SHELL is only charging you 2% on your fuel....??

LMAO!!! You need to get a grip!

in fairness the purchaser is putting alot of trust in the garage as to whether the diesel is actually white or green as you very rarely can see the colour of what you are putting in to your tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

So you are telling me that all of these hundreds of garages that have popped up all over the country are selling laundered diesel in broad daylight and you have evidence to support this obviously. I presume you have been in touch with the Gardai. Or do the Gardai already know and are just turning a blind eye? Maybe Customs too? Sure we all know how those guys love to turn a blind eye to fuel laundering... especially when on such a scale that it can be seen in every town in the country in broad daylight.

And aren't they brave fools selling it in broad daylight when everyone knows it's illegal diesel. Risking Customs coming in and seizing everything they own, revenue taking the rest and then going to prison.

You believe that this is the case and your local SHELL is only charging you 2% on your fuel....??

LMAO!!! You need to get a grip!
    So you are saying that all diesel sold in Ireland is unlaundered!!!!!
    There are no shell petrol stations in Ireland
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0625/1224299585963.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

Just back from Dusseldorf, diesel was 146.9 there, but I wouldn't mind, the roads were fantastic!

indiewindy wrote: »
    So you are saying that all diesel sold in Ireland is unlaundered!!!!!
    No. I'm saying that just because it's cheap[er] does not automatically mean it's laundered. There are many independent fuel importers in Dublin port who are charging competitive prices because they are fighting for business. Not like Topaz (ie. Shell!) etc who can charge what they want as their garages (retailers) are tied into contracts.

Have a look at pumps.ie and you will find that well know distributors are often cheaper than these little independents that are popping up.

ESSO in Dunleer is 146.9c for diesel today while TOP garage in Hayestown is 137.9c!! A whole 9c/ltr cheaper. Does this mean TOP's diesel must be laundered too?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

ESSO in Dunleer is 146.9c for diesel today while TOP garage in Hayestown is 137.9c!! A whole 9c/ltr cheaper. Does this mean TOP's diesel must be laundered too?

Actually surprised TOP logo has remained on that station in Hayestown as it is no longer in their control, I know for a fact it is now run by an independent hence the lower price.
    I use it regularly for petrol and no probs so far.

• Advertisement

hoeys in ardee €148.9 for unleaded

Advertisement