Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For parents of obese children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deano86

i work for a chinese takeaway and do be suprised how many fat kids run to the door to grab the chinese, its the parents fault and there the first to snap if there kid starts getting bullied? i know from experience kids eat whats nice id of lived on candy floss n mcdonalds when i was young had i been allowed, but i wasnt it was takin and rationed and i appreciated more when i did get it. i see familys ordering dinner for family including kids meals over 3 times a week, i get the food free and wont eat that much. some people prefer to flash cash rather than going through the effort of actually making a good meal and its kids who suffer. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sharrow wrote: »
    It is more expensive when you compare the cost of a roast chicken dinner with the cost of two frozen pizza's and a kilogram of frozen chips.
    Which one are you saying is more expensive?
    It does depend on the special offers that day:)
    but both would cost around a tenner for 2/3 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Moonbeam wrote: »

I wouldn't count a roast dinner as particularly healthy - and not better than a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

planetX wrote: »
    I wouldn't count a roast dinner as particularly healthy - and not better than a pizza.

Thats a joke yeah?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I can not see how it isn't but everyones picture of a roast is different:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

also i read something recently in an article, if you cant see your childs rib cage her or she is over weight... no joke

That's interesting, was it qualified with an age limit at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Another big issue with fresh food is that you generally have to shop twice a week (for a lot of fresh food)..not all. Frozen/preprocessed foods generally 'last' longer. I think it puts some people off as they have limited spare time and don't want to keep spending time shopping every few days.

Horgan wrote: »
    Thats a joke yeah?

not at all. Greasy, oily meat, roast potatoes are just chips by another name. Veg dripping in meat juice. Yuck.

I will be more specific

Roast chicken,Steamed/boiled spuds,roast/steamed veg.

v's

2 Goodfellas Pizzas and 1kg bag of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Moonbeam wrote: »

It is easy to pick up a kilogram of frozen chips and a double pack of frozen pizza for 5 euro.
    A roast chicken 2/3 veg and potatoes (boiled/mash/roast) costs more then that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yes, you can get 2 pizzas & chips for €5. But you have to ask yourself about the quality of food you're eating. A roasted chix & steamed veg with spuds is much better for maintaining energy levels, meeting nutritional needs & providing calories that *can* be burned (unlike the greasy unsaturated fats that's in processed stuff that sits on your heart & waistline).

As for the "inconvenience" of fresh food...that's a bunch of balls. I do one bulk shop for dried & canned goods one time every 4-6 weeks, then go to our local butcher & green grocer one time every 1-2 weeks. We cook everything from scratch & the most processed stuff in our kitchen is the frozen fish fillets in the freezer. I spend no more than £200 in this monthly shop & usually no more than €50-€75 combined for meat/veg/fruit for the month. That feeds my family of 4 well b/c we plan ahead & utilize what we have on hand. It's not perfect, but it's good nutritionally & economically for my family.

Ayla wrote: »
    Yes, you can get 2 pizzas & chips for €5. But you have to ask yourself about the quality of food you're eating. A roasted chix & steamed veg with spuds is much better for maintaining energy levels, meeting nutritional needs & providing calories that *can* be burned (unlike the greasy unsaturated fats that's in processed stuff that sits on your heart & waistline).

Yup and smart and sensible people know that, some parents don't and some parents do but don't care the just want something quick and cheap to feed the kids.

As for the "inconvenience" of fresh food...that's a bunch of balls. I do one bulk shop for dried & canned goods one time every 4-6 weeks, then go to our local butcher & green grocer one time every 1-2 weeks. We cook everything from scratch & the most processed stuff in our kitchen is the frozen fish fillets in the freezer. I spend no more than £200 in this monthly shop & usually no more than €50-€75 combined for meat/veg/fruit for the month. That feeds my family of 4 well b/c we plan ahead & utilize what we have on hand. It's not perfect, but it's good nutritionally & economically for my family.
    Yes beacuse you plan and you can cook and use that know how to make a difference there are people who don't those skills, they don't know how to manage the pantry/press/fridge and to plan the meals for the week and so its 6pm the kids are hungry and they do what is cheapest/easiest.

That is everyone's decision to make and everyone's responsibility to have. I do not do a single thing that can't be done by anyone out there...it's a choice.

Is it really?
    When a person has been reared in a house hold that only eats from packets, then that is what is normal to them and they will rear thier kids in the same way. They can't pass on skills they have not got.

Of course people do & repeat what they know. But that is their choice. They have access to whatever information & supplies they need to change their ways, but they choose just to do what's always been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

After flicking through the thread I can only conclude that people dont know what the definitive list of good and bad foods actually are. :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Well obviously there are experts to define,Maybe based on calories or the such.
    More education obviously or maybe put it on the school Curriculum Healthy eating,fitness etc..

Really? There were SFA obese kids when I was young (born in 1977). My parents were not formally educated in what was and wasn't healthy/ good food, they just used common sense. Also there was no eating between meals unless it was a fruit snack and we walked / cycled to school, played games outside, were generally active.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I usually cringe when I see these type of threads. Most people jump in with the 'tax unhealthy foods' or 'ban fast food places' or 'ban certain foods' etc. Not really tackling the root cause.

Unhealthy foods aren't the cause. I am the perfect weight for my height/build and yet do indulge in some very unhealthy foods. I just exercise which brings balance.
    I usually eat healthy food at home/in work, but sometimes go to McDonalds when I'm out and get hungry.

And I don't think it's fair that I have to pay more for some foods just because some people over consume them.

No...the problem here is education, the lack of availability of tasty, convenient & cheap healthy foods. And it is indeed the blame of parents for not monitoring their kids food intake, and not encouraging exercise.
    Saying that, some people are genetically disposed to gaining weight easily, so I wouldn't expect every child/person to be at 'normal' weight.

Does anyone other than me find it strange that these people who are genetically predisposed to gaining weight easily were so rarely seen years ago? Is this a gene that skips a generation? Personally I think this genetic stuff is little more than an excuse.
    Not having a dig at you Crazy Rabbit btw:)

silverharp wrote: »
    After flicking through the thread I can only conclude that people dont know what the definitive list of good and bad foods actually are. :D

Because there is no definitive list?
    I can make a really healthy pizza - wholemeal dough, fresh tomatoes, loads of veggies and a dash of cheese.
    Knowing how factory farmed chicken is produced, and what it contains - I don't see a roast chicken as definitively healthy.
    I don't believe it's as simple as good and bad foods. It's quite possible to become overweight eating only good foods, but in too large portions, or too often - potato or pasta being the main culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

planetX wrote: »
    Because there is no definitive list?
    I can make a really healthy pizza - wholemeal dough, fresh tomatoes, loads of veggies and a dash of cheese.
    Knowing how factory farmed chicken is produced, and what it contains - I don't see a roast chicken as definitively healthy.
    I don't believe it's as simple as good and bad foods. It's quite possible to become overweight eating only good foods, but in too large portions, or too often - potato or pasta being the main culprits.

I fully agree its not a 2 dimensional issue. But the official adivce is outdated and a lot of people have a fuzzy idea of what foods are good/bad for instance fat is bad "too much sugar" is bad and low fat, carb based diet is ok, pepsi is bad innocent smoothies are good.
    portion size I dont think matters all that much, as far as kids are concerned we never make ours eat everything up, We trust that their bodies tell them when they are full.
    And indeed simple carbs like potatoes pasta and HFCS /sugar can be near toxic for many people which creates the whole weight gain = hungry= eat more food problem.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I think it's simplistic to say that parents don't know what healthy dinners are. I have a friend who feeds her children very good meals but her son is fat. The problem is portion sizes. At age 7 he'll eat a full dinner plate of food. When they go out for dinner she thinks it's great that he'll eat an adult meal of starter, main course and dinner. He also eats alot between meals. He goes outside playing but is obviously eating way too much for him to burn off. She just sees him a fine big boy with a big appetite. She is very heavy and was teased alot as a child and is extremely defensive if anyone brings up childhood obesity as she thinks bringing attention to it will cause children to be bullied.
    I don't even pretend to understand where she is coming from. I would have though she would have watched her childrens weight so they woudn't have to go through what she went through but she is in denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I do one bulk shop for dried & canned goods one time every 4-6 weeks, then go to our local butcher & green grocer one time every 1-2 weeks. We cook everything from scratch & the most processed stuff in our kitchen is the frozen fish fillets in the freezer. I spend no more than £200 in this monthly shop & usually no more than €50-€75 combined for meat/veg/fruit for the month. That feeds my family of 4 well b/c we plan ahead & utilize what we have on hand. It's not perfect, but it's good nutritionally & economically for my family.

250 to 275 a month! I am in awe.:eek:

I'm so jealous, despite planning for the week ahead before going shopping and doing most shopping in Aldi I still pay twice that- easily! That includes all lunches and dinners for 5 in our house, mostly from scratch and fairly healthy. Does your bill include toiletries & stuff or just food ( she says, grasping at straws:D)

Nope, that's all inclusive. Anything & everything we use including nappies. We just don't spend money on a lot of things that many others do (like roses/selection boxes at xmas, for instance). I buy store brand of just about everything (as long as the quality's good) and bulk buy when I see good deals. I also do my monthly shop in the North, where I can bulk buy in sufficient quantities & at half the price. I usually wind up with 2 full trollies & spend no more than £200 - the same shopping here would be much more.

Out of fairness, we don't do pack lunches b/c we have our main meal in the afternoon & a snack of dried & fresh fruits, nuts, etc in the evening.

You should give classes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Zamboni wrote: »
    I got very angry today driving into work.

A school girl of about 12 (I'm guessing) was walking down the road.
    The poor child was about 5' 7' and about 16st. She was huge.

The level of contempt I felt for her legal guardians, whoever they are, was overwhelming.
    The guardians of this child have forced her into a life of poor health, disease, mockery and misery.
    Any persons that treated a child with physical violence, sexual abuse or malunitrition would be addressed by the appropriate authorities, but in the case of feeding a child to death by the 'over loving' parent, it is simply ignored.
    This child is not loved.
    This is the problem with being PC about obesity, it's causes and effects.
    The next time you hear about fat people complaining about paying for bigger seats on planes or some other nonsensical issue based on there own disgusting feeding habits, think about the thousands of poor children that are being forced into a life of physical disease and mental abuse through misery.

This post may not be as coherent as I would like but I am fuming.
    Ive been banned from the soccer forum for a LOT less.This statement of yours doesnt include the genes argument.Sometimes genes is the main issue at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

I share your anger in relation to this issue. In my city such children are invariably the offspring of lazy and gluttonous parents, so as sad as the situation is, it's seemingly inevitable.

Up here the sight of children being driven laughably short distances to school is all too common. Is it the same south of the border?
    You call yourself Edward carson? :eek:Good god.On an Irish website?The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Sharrow wrote: »
    Is it really?
    When a person has been reared in a house hold that only eats from packets, then that is what is normal to them and they will rear thier kids in the same way. They can't pass on skills they have not got.

I would agree completely with this.
    Crea wrote: »
    I think it's simplistic to say that parents don't know what healthy dinners are. I have a friend who feeds her children very good meals but her son is fat. The problem is portion sizes. At age 7 he'll eat a full dinner plate of food. When they go out for dinner she thinks it's great that he'll eat an adult meal of starter, main course and dinner. He also eats alot between meals. He goes outside playing but is obviously eating way too much for him to burn off. She just sees him a fine big boy with a big appetite. She is very heavy and was teased alot as a child and is extremely defensive if anyone brings up childhood obesity as she thinks bringing attention to it will cause children to be bullied.
    I don't even pretend to understand where she is coming from. I would have though she would have watched her childrens weight so they woudn't have to go through what she went through but she is in denial.

I have to say, the part in bold here really struck a chord with me.

I am a parent of 1 child, a 5 year old girl. I am also someone who, up until a year and a half ago, was morbidly obese with a BMI over 40. I have lost over 7 stone in weight since January 2010, and I have to say that your description of your friend here sounds like the "old" me. I was hypersensitive about people making comments about my daughters appearance. She is very tall for her age and is normal weight, but she has a tiny little pot belly (which, tbh, is now diminishing rapidly as she gets taller). Any comment ever made about her "lovely big belly" (it was never a huge big belly, just a little round pot belly) or said she was "a grand size" were comments I would take personally. I was ultimately responsible for what she was eating so any criticism of her eating habits (whether real or imagined) were taken personally by me. I think I was probably getting so sensitive over it as I didn't want to address my own weight problem and that I was spiralling out of control. At my heaviest I was almost 22 stone. Even at 5 ft 11, that is just way too heavy. But anyways, I have lost over 7 stone and am about 1 stone away from a "healthy" BMI of 25. So, I am nearly finished my weightloss journey but I am so conscious of how easy it is to gain weight.

My daughter has a very similar shape to me when I was her age. Tall, long limbed, broad shouldered but in the normal weight ranges. I started to put weight on from age 15 onwards. Before that, I was slender (but thought, as a lot of teenagers do that I was massive) and healthy. I am afraid that this could happen to my girl so I am trying now to change my eating habits and in turn change hers. She was eating a lot of processed food because it was easier, if I'm honest. I am gone back to college and doing a very intensive degree so sometimes the dinner had to be superquick to make. Now though, I am getting her to cook more with me, she is more adventurous and will try new things where she just wouldn't have this time last year.

I know that there are very few medical reasons for children to be obese, but it should be noted that obesity and issues surrounding eating disorders of any kind have huge psychological ramifications for children and adults alike. The tangled, complex relationship that a lot of us have with food stems from childhood. There are emotional aspects to over and under eating which need to be addressed just as much as the tenet of "eat less, move more" is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I really wish I could put a pic of myself and my sister on this site. Me, the person who eats everything in moderation. And my sister who eats what she wants when she wants. I have had a child and I am size 8-10 at 24 years old, my sister is 20 years old and is size 26. She has never been thin since about 3 years old, when she started to get double portions, and once she discovered junk food things went downhill all together.

My mother never cared (never going to be up for parent of the year award) and she just threw the money for dinners at us rather than do the shopping herself.

Now I am cooking dinners, baking bread and at this moment of time cooking porridge for the breakfast, my son is at the 60 percentile for his weight and he only gets grilled nuggets and waffles once a week, thee rest of the week is good wholesome food, as well as a treat every day, BUT ONE 1 TREAT!!! He is healthy and happy :)

Parents, the "big boned" excuse is a big pile of tripe, if you are big boned and look after yourself, you see muscle over your bones, not fat wrinkles!!!!

Thinking about this, I don't think it's that easy to put together a menu of nutritious, healthy meals for a family for a week on a budget. It's certainly possible of course, but easy?

I actually think the HSE should put on classes for new parents. With realistic menus and ingredients sourced in local shops/supermarkets. On a budget. The classes could be free with maybe a play area for the kids or a drop in creche facility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Ive been banned from the soccer forum for a LOT less.This statement of yours doesnt include the genes argument.Sometimes genes is the main issue at hand.

mneh, thats an excuse, if your prone to weigh gain, watch carefully what you eat, fat doesn't just appear, it's caused by consuming more than your body needs.

you can sugar coat it all you want (excuse the pun) but thats what it comes down to, there is no excuse in an educated society for fat children, adults can make their own decisions, but children are dependents and allowing them get like that is wrong

Advertisement