Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are you setting up Facebook Pages?

• 24-05-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to how people are setting up Pages on Facebook for businesses and organisations.

Are you setting up using a Business Account or setting them up by logging first through your personal profile and then creating a page that you administer.

Is it still possible to create a Business Account as I don't see the option any more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

BrianD wrote: »
    Just curious as to how people are setting up Pages on Facebook for businesses and organisations.

Are you setting up using a Business Account or setting them up by logging first through your personal profile and then creating a page that you administer.

Is it still possible to create a Business Account as I don't see the option any more.

I know this stuff changes all the time, but AFAIK facebook doesn't have the concept of an account belonging to an entity other than relating to an individual ie. you. So if you want to do something for your business or any business, you must create the page from your personal account. You can have multiple pages representing different things.

When you post to your page you will by default post as the page rather than your personal account. So if you set up a page called the ACME Widget Company, and you post on your wall or reply to someones post on the ACME Widget Company's wall, facebook will only show the ACME Widget Company and not your personal identity. Outside of this you are contravening the facebook terms and conditions and your account and related pages are liable to be removed or suspended without any notice.

As I say, all this stuff changes without particular notice, but when last I checked it out (sometime 8 -10 months ago), this was the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LisaLowlife

Easiest way to explain it is if you go onto the facebook.com page before you sign in, on that main page there is an option to 'set up group or business'. It will automatically go to the sign in screen and then will redirect from there to the business page you want to set up. Quite easy really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm well familiar on how to set up a Facebook page and run it. However their used to be a facility to have a business account which you could use to run a page. This was sometime ago. The business account allowed no interaction other than manage the page assigned to it. I don't see this option anymore - though it could be buried.

The business account option is useful as it means that the ownership of the account resides with the company. With the more common approach of having admins is that you do have to manage the situations is staff leave and controlling if staff add others as admins etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I would recommend first setting up a normal 'profile' first - then go to facebook.com/pages and create your 'page' there. They will automatically be linked. Thing is you might want to sometimes use a profile and not a page - but, you can also make your profile 'act' as your page. Just be careful when getting your username - make sure you chose the one you want for the page and not the profile.

BrianD wrote: »
    I'm well familiar on how to set up a Facebook page and run it. However their used to be a facility to have a business account which you could use to run a page. This was sometime ago. The business account allowed no interaction other than manage the page assigned to it. I don't see this option anymore - though it could be buried.

The business account option is useful as it means that the ownership of the account resides with the company. With the more common approach of having admins is that you do have to manage the situations is staff leave and controlling if staff add others as admins etc.

Yes, as far as I understand it, you are correct here. There is no such thing as a business account any more.

You must do the page admin thing.

Also, as i understand it, you can't transfer the ownership of a page. The work around is to make new page admins and remove the original page creator from being an admin - this i've only heard of and haven't tried, so if doing so i'd suggest trying it out on a dummy/test page, to make sure it will work as you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 IrishCalypso

got to facebook.com make sure you are signed out and under the Sign Up button click the option to Create a Page, you can create a business account that way. (at least you could last week - as you say it changes)

AnCatDubh you are right about the admins and it works ok, Pages should have at least 2 admins at all times in case one is compromised.

AnCatDubh you are right about the admins and it works ok, Pages should have at least 2 admins at all times in case one is compromised.

This is a really good point. At least 2 page admins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 IrishCalypso

Page names can be changed if you have less than 100 fans.
    After 25 fans and when you custom your URL - that can't be changed.

Advertisement