Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back part time - not sure!!!

Options
  • 24-05-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering going back to college part time (I work full time) and I need some opinions. I am thinking of enrolling in CIT to do the Cert in Computer Science (possibly on to the degree then) which would take about 3 years in total. Classes would be on tues/thurs and sat mornings.

Cost is not so much of an issue as work will be helping out there. Its the commitment which I am trying to gauge. It's all well and good thinking how great it would be to have the qualification, but I'm just not sure if I have the commitment??

My life is busy enough at the moment, as I take part in a lot of sport. So that would have to take a back seat. Apart from the 2 nights and 1 morning a week, would studying be even more? Am I mad to committ to this for 3 years?:(

Help....I need some realistic opinions.
    (My circumstance in a nutshell.....full time worker, 30's, in long term relationship....)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am considering going back to college part time (I work full time) and I need some opinions. I am thinking of enrolling in CIT to do the Cert in Computer Science (possibly on to the degree then) which would take about 3 years in total. Classes would be on tues/thurs and sat mornings.

Cost is not so much of an issue as work will be helping out there. Its the commitment which I am trying to gauge. It's all well and good thinking how great it would be to have the qualification, but I'm just not sure if I have the commitment??

My life is busy enough at the moment, as I take part in a lot of sport. So that would have to take a back seat. Apart from the 2 nights and 1 morning a week, would studying be even more? Am I mad to committ to this for 3 years?:(

Help....I need some realistic opinions.
    (My circumstance in a nutshell.....full time worker, 30's, in long term relationship....)

I think you're right to think carefully about this. Courses are different, so the amount of "home" work you have to do can vary. I would suggest that if you're doing 10 hours of classes a week, that you should allow for 10 hours of study as well, that's to be safe.

So in your case, you'd be in class for 2 evenings and one morning, you should allow for the same amount of time spent studying.

Now having said that if you're already working in the area, this stuff might come easier to you and it won't take as much time. Best thing to do is find someone who has already done the course and get some honest feedback from them.

I completed a Post-Grad in Management some years ago, I was in a longterm relationship and working full-time. I did it with very little interruption to my life.

I suppose the fact that work is paying for it, you have to look on this as an investment in yourself. There's never been a better time to improve yourself and if work is going to pay for it, I would say go for it.

I'm going to go back soon to complete a Masters....married, early 40s, young child, play a lot of sport as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Further Education is not for everyone. I started a night class in CIT in 2006 and was addicted. If you are unsure of your commitment then maybe you are not passionate about the course?..

I did and loved it so much. I went back full time and just finished my 4th year in Business. My advice is try it and then dont pay any fees until you are a few weeks through. You will know yourself if you like it.

But it is always good to challenge and differentiate yourself. Best of luck :D

Advertisement