Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinion on new track

• 24-05-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if i could get some feedback on this song i recorded a few months back.

http://soundcloud.com/crazy-chester/shine-on

All comments welcome!

Cheers

Crazy Chester

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭jimmypage100

Sounding great man. Ya could do with a bit of reverb on the lead guitar in my opinion. Also maybe look at using antares autotune to tighten up the vocals. I'm no expert but i do a lot of home recording. By the way no offence with the autotune thing. Im not a strong singer at all and i use it to tidy up bits and pieces and i find it great. Some people have an issue with using it as its kind of cheating but screw it, if it makes my songs sound better i dont mind!
    You could also put some vocal harmonies over the 'shine on' part to emphasise it. hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

Well, fair play for putting a song together. I'm fairly new to this song writing game, woking on my own batch of songs for the 1st time. I had a listen to yours as a guitar player im not to sure about the riffs at the start, could do with something more thought out / more effort. The solo sounds like something straight out of Oasis. I play some drums as well and as a drummer the song is missing dynamics, few fills would go a long way with some symbols hits to help mark parts of the song, end of verse, end of chorus etc. Other than that bang on, good melody, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Thanks for the replies guys! Ye the auto tune thing sounds cool and no offence taken (i wouldnt be the greatest singer in the world!)
    Also i take on board bout the drums, need to put some more work into that.
    Is the riff at the start really that bad? Any ideas on making it better?

Again thanks a mill for taking the time to listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

It's alright, just lacking feel, its not making any statement when it should as its right at the start of the song. If you came up with something more clever you'll draw the person into the song. I find if you've not got some kind of a hook within the 1st 30 seconds of a song people will loose interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd disagree Hendrix, I'm not a musician but I liked the start l, felt like the start of a nice bob dylan song, was expecting it to roll along for a minute or so with some nice sunny afternoon riffs you'd like to sip a few beers to but then there was an assault of instruments that never let you sit back and enjoy the tune. Think it need to be a lot longer with a lot more lyrics and a little less "shine on", don't get me wrong I liked the shine on but I'd pretty much had enough of hearing it buy the end of the song. Soundcloud had the track length at 7 minutes something so I was expecting a long song with plenty of highs and low's it never really hit either.
    Think it could be a great song but I'd like to hear a little less noise from the background instruments to let the lead guitar and lyrics shine through.

All in all a good song that can only get better with a little extra lyrics.

As I said I'm not a musician but I'd be a music fan who may
    some day buy your music.

I don't think your singing was bad, wouldn't be doing a Jedward on it and heading for the Autotune just yet. No offense to the op!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭crazy chester

Again thanks for the input. I see exactly what your saying drunkmonkey but my biggest problem was I didn't hav a "band" to bounce off when recording. I had the sound engineer who laid down the sample drums and the lead and very helpful he was too with some suggestions but I lacked that "hey what about if we try this" mentality you get from guys as much into the project as you. That's part of the reason I put it up here for comment. I get what your saying bout the build up and extra verses but part of me was torn to do the whole 3.30 min song that "supposedly" is the norm. I have another verse for that song and I have 2 more verses for the other song I have on soundcloud, homeward bound, but was told if I need to keep an audience I'd have to cut em back. Anyway I digress, many thanks again for taking the time to listen. Will get back to the drawing board with this one!
    Any more comments greatly welcomed!

Advertisement