Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halfords TDF bike opinion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

nice bike seen as there is 200 off it!
    get everything to you need aside from a lock there! halfords locks are cheep and easy to well brake etc stay away from it if you want to lock your bike and not get it taken on you!

some stuff like spar tubes is handy to have saves you having to do a job on the tyre on side of road
    after that you need a pump and tyre leavers (around 3 is good)
    id sugest a reflector or 2 just to keep you safe as lately with all the bad weather its hard to spot bikes on raod etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Lights , Locks, Mudguards, spare tubes, Pump, Some sort of way of transporting bits, such as panniers , bags etc. Bikes come with reflectors and Bells as standard. Halfords online store sells kryptonite locks, the proper ones , not the cheap ones. Id avoid locks under e50 regardless of name.

I wouldnt bother buying parts to upgrade it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Good price, the 8 speed gear set-up would be my only worry about a bike like that, I reckon they are quite dated at this stage and finding good quality replacements would be an issue for me.

Apart from that consider what you want the thing for. Mudguards? Rain Gear? Get a helmet anyway, and lights if you plan on using it at night. A pump is necessary but I think you'd get one cheaper somewhere else same for lights.

Pedals and shoes but again I think you'd get them cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

They still sell 8 and 7 speed replacement parts. So I'd say it will be a fair few years before obsolescence. If you break a rear shifter you can always move up to 9 or 10 speed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Thanks for the pointers lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bought this bike about two months ago. Paid 440 for it, 65 euro more than now. Lad selling me it said he was thinking of getting it himself, he was just waiting for the price to drop. I was like, oh yeah, is the price going to drop then? And he's like eh, no... clear.gif:)

Anyway I wanted it there and then so I got it. I'm really happy with the bike and am out on it whenever I get a chance. Haven't riden a road bike since I was about 10 and have been on a heavy hybrid for the last few years. The TDF feels like a fighter jet compared to it, really feels like its always dying to go and really nail it. But again, I've no other road bike to compare it to so maybe this view should be taken with a pinch of salt.

In terms of accessories, the pedals with the cradles which the bikes come with are crap. I bought a pair of clip ins instead and I imagine any serious road biker will do the same. Halfords dont sell bike shoes by the way. They have a 3 for 2 offer on accessories. Some items are only included in the offer if bought online so check that out. I got a bottle, bottle holder, lights and a bike stand (because I now have four bikes in my shed). I bought the cheap lights and they were crap, they basicaly evaporated (!). There are reflectors on the bike already so you won't need to pick them up. I wouldn't be interested in mudguards but you may be. I suppose it depends on whether you intend on cycling to work in your gear. Similarly with panniers, you may need them or you may not. To be honest I don't think this is the kind of bike for panniers but see what you want. In terms of what I still need to get its - shorts with padding (saddle is mighty sore after an hour or so) and a saddle bag with a spare tube, any tools I need etc.. Not sure if Halfords do either of these tbh.

One thing though, are you sure you want this bike for a commute? I use this bike for long cycles and have the crappy heavy hybrid for the city centre. This has the advantage of the me not worrying about damaging the bike going up and down curbs / propping it up against things, locking it etc.. Also, most importantly the scobes are less likely to rob it. But I live inside 15 mins from most places I'd cycle, so it suits me to ride the beast for those journeys. Anything longer than 25 mins and I'm taking the TDF.

Either way enjoy it.

Should add that you should get a hi viz top, I have two, one breathable water resistant one, one fairly breathable waterproof one.

a148pro wrote: »
    Bought this bike about two months ago. Paid 440 for it, 65 euro more than now. Lad selling me it said he was thinking of getting it himself, he was just waiting for the price to drop. I was like, oh yeah, is the price going to drop then? And he's like eh, no... clear.gif:)

Anyway I wanted it there and then so I got it. I'm really happy with the bike and am out on it whenever I get a chance. Haven't riden a road bike since I was about 10 and have been on a heavy hybrid for the last few years. The TDF feels like a fighter jet compared to it, really feels like its always dying to go and really nail it. But again, I've no other road bike to compare it to so maybe this view should be taken with a pinch of salt.

In terms of accessories, the pedals with the cradles which the bikes come with are crap. I bought a pair of clip ins instead and I imagine any serious road biker will do the same. Halfords dont sell bike shoes by the way. They have a 3 for 2 offer on accessories. Some items are only included in the offer if bought online so check that out. I got a bottle, bottle holder, lights and a bike stand (because I now have four bikes in my shed). I bought the cheap lights and they were crap, they basicaly evaporated (!). There are reflectors on the bike already so you won't need to pick them up. I wouldn't be interested in mudguards but you may be. I suppose it depends on whether you intend on cycling to work in your gear. Similarly with panniers, you may need them or you may not. To be honest I don't think this is the kind of bike for panniers but see what you want. In terms of what I still need to get its - shorts with padding (saddle is mighty sore after an hour or so) and a saddle bag with a spare tube, any tools I need etc.. Not sure if Halfords do either of these tbh.

One thing though, are you sure you want this bike for a commute? I use this bike for long cycles and have the crappy heavy hybrid for the city centre. This has the advantage of the me not worrying about damaging the bike going up and down curbs / propping it up against things, locking it etc.. Also, most importantly the scobes are less likely to rob it. But I live inside 15 mins from most places I'd cycle, so it suits me to ride the beast for those journeys. Anything longer than 25 mins and I'm taking the TDF.

Either way enjoy it.

Should add that you should get a hi viz top, I have two, one breathable water resistant one, one fairly breathable waterproof one.

Thanks for this
    I spotted this bike last summer when it hit 329 thought about it for a couple of days and all stock was gone :(
    Price only dropped on Thursday and only online
    I have a secure place for parking it at work

good call on the hi viz. i'd forgotten about it

Edit: One question a148pro. would you recommend getting wider tyres? even up to 25 or 28mm

Halfords do sell cycling shoes.

kona wrote: »

Not in the navan store or there website.

ive never seen them? have u a link or anything..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This TDF bike was €320ish and £299.99 in the UK for at least a month last year. Dunno how they claim the proper price is €569.99

I have seen them in both the Liffey Valley and Coolock Branches. They are shimano ones. No Idea on the Price though they wernt marked.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_756137_langId_-1_categoryId_212566

and they had a road pair when I was there but I cant find them on their site.

snubbleste wrote: »
    This TDF bike was €320ish and £299.99 in the UK for at least a month last year. Dunno how they claim the proper price is €569.99

Its Halfords They can do what they want. They sell them at the higher price for a few weeks when its not a busy period, then bam 20% for Xmas, Summer, TDF etc etc.

The bike is only worth e350 tops. Thats where most people fall, you look at the specs and it will give you and Idea, The price can be anything.

I dont see the problem, if you think its a good price at e350 whats the problem? Obviously they will go lower at the end of summer to shift them for the Xmas stock. But who wants to wait till then? Ya gotta love Economics :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i bought one as a 5th bike for throwing in the back of the car, and scooting around the city. Its fine, did a couple of thousand miles on it with no problems. It is a bit heavy, but for the price, its hard to beat (imho)

I have seen them in both the Liffey Valley and Coolock Branches. They are shimano ones. No Idea on the Price though they wernt marked.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_756137_langId_-1_categoryId_212566

and they had a road pair when I was there but I cant find them on their site.
    good to know cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

lennymc wrote: »
    i bought one as a 5th bike for throwing in the back of the car, and scooting around the city. Its fine, did a couple of thousand miles on it with no problems. It is a bit heavy, but for the price, its hard to beat (imho)

None of your other four bikes fit in the car then?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

They told me in halfords liffey valley that they don't sell shoes.

op, sorry but I'm new to all of this so couldn't tell you about the tires, would be interested to see people's opinions. One of the reviews of the bike i saw online suggested one of the things you should consider replacing was tires, but i think that was more with a view towards weight and racing. No real point in getting properly into racing with this bike as everyone else is going to be on something lighter and fancier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    None of your other four bikes fit in the car then?!?

:) its an odd shaped car

Advertisement