Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best takeaway/chipper in Co Cork?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Yeah i heard about the courthouse takeaway on the radio one day. they got an award for best fish and chips in Cork. Savage grub. Oh and the onion rings are freshly battered for ya just like the fish, they are gorge too :p

Hmmm. A trip to Bandon sounds in order..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Just one tip, I keep telling them to wrap in paper and not those polystyrene containers, it makes the fish go soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

You've tried the rest,now goto the BEST. Cronin's in Castletownbere, the fish cannot get any fresher, and it's a great price. Sit inor take away.
    No, he's not a relative!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

There's a place in the mallow on the right hand side of the street as you go towards the Black and white building at the end of the street, kinda next door to a man's shop - sorry can't remember the name, they do the most fab chips with cheese and their quarter pounders with cheese are scrummy, well they were anyway, it's about 2 and 1/2 years since I was there!!!! Hand cut chips from real spuds, none of those frozen yokes, with lashings of grated cheese.

Anyone tell me the name of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

Caros wrote: »
    There's a place in the mallow on the right hand side of the street as you go towards the Black and white building at the end of the street, kinda next door to a man's shop - sorry can't remember the name, they do the most fab chips with cheese and their quarter pounders with cheese are scrummy, well they were anyway, it's about 2 and 1/2 years since I was there!!!! Hand cut chips from real spuds, none of those frozen yokes, with lashings of grated cheese.

Anyone tell me the name of the place?

Might be the Kentucky, fit's the description anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Thanks Mossie, ya that was probably it! Would love one of their chips with cheese now!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Frank'sin Carrigtwohill served me well one night after getting a flat tire in the rain on the dual carriageway!!

Lennox's for me has gone right downhill lately. Very hit and miss since this time last year... maybe I'm just used to the taste at this stage but chips aren't what they used to be and the fish is a rush job and not cooked properly sometimes. Disappointing!

Ceohane's in Midleton is THE BEST old fashioned chip shop. They've raised their prices a bit now though.. but still worth it. Chips, chicken, sausages, fish and pies. And that's it. One time my boyfriend asked them if they ever thought of doing chips and cheese/chips and curry and the guy with the grey hair just replied with... "Can you batter cheese? Can you batter curry? Then it wouldn't work on our menu".

Legend!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Ceohane's in Midleton is THE BEST old fashioned chip shop. They've raised their prices a bit now though.. but still worth it. Chips, chicken, sausages, fish and pies. And that's it. One time my boyfriend asked them if they ever thought of doing chips and cheese/chips and curry and the guy with the grey hair just replied with... "Can you batter cheese? Can you batter curry? Then it wouldn't work on our menu".
    Legend!! :)

I love the lingo used in Ceohanes. If you want a regualar chip you ask for a "bag". If you want a small chip you ask for a "half bag" and if you want a large chip you ask for a "bag and a half". If you want a breast of chicken you ask for a "portion". You will get battered sausages unless you specifically ask for plain ones. Potato pie is just "a pie" and a battered fish is just "a fish"
    Fastest service here I have ever witnessed. All wrapped up in sheets of white paper. Lovely taste, great chips that taste different to the norm, might be the fat they use, wonder is it lard ??? :pac::pac::pac::pac::D
    Portions not huge these days, fish seems to be getting constantly smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Where exactly is Ceohanes? Must try there and the kentucky soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

antlyn wrote: »
    Where exactly is Ceohanes? Must try there and the kentucky soon!!

Main Street. in Midleton, Opposite the Library/Post Office. Greenish front. Odd opening hours, usually posted up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

I like Mags in Coachford thats my usual spot or spice route in the city they do the most amazing kebab meals for 5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

patdshaker wrote: »
    I like Mags in Coachford thats my usual spot or spice route in the city they do the most amazing kebab meals for 5.50

Mags in Coachford is a decent enough chipper but the stories about the place would nearly put you off the place. Anyway
    Spud Murphy's/O'Connell's/Cal's/Barney's (whatever it is called now, changes owner every fornight seemingly) is much a better chipper in my opinion.

Fat Jack's in Blarney gets an honourable mention but the best chipper in Cork for me, is Lennox's in town. Absolutely savage chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

Eire abu wrote: »
    I tried Jimmy dees a few months ago and will go to no other chipper now. The food is fantastic, it's an original traditional Irish chipper with the best real freshly cut chips and superb food. The place is spotlessly clean and with the tables and seating they have it's a perfect place to bring my kids they love it, my daughter is 10 in July and that's where she is having her party. Fair play to Jimmy Dees they have really raised the bar for chippers and given the people of Kanturk a proper service we deserve at last. :)

never been to jimmy dees but i have been to the one down the street from it and i will never go there again, there was a prick behind the counter eyeing up my gf ****ing wanker.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

never been to jimmy dees but i have been to the one down the street from it and i will never go there again, there was a prick behind the counter eyeing up my gf ****ing wanker.:mad:

Was he a youngish fella. He drives around town all day in a VW Sirocco with the window down like a fool..:rolleyes:

Its a right dirty looking kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Was he a youngish fella. He drives around town all day in a VW Sirocco with the window down like a fool..:rolleyes:

Its a right dirty looking kip.

ya thats the fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Chish N Fips in Crosshaven = EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

No, No, NO! You're all wrong!

Best in Cork has to be the Golden Fry in Ballinlough. Haven't been there in a few years so maybe it's gone now.

Honorable mention to KC's, Gills in Cobh and to a much lesser extent Lennox's and Dinos

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jasonw wrote: »
    No, No, NO! You're all wrong!

Best in Cork has to be the Golden Fry in Ballinlough. Haven't been there in a few years so maybe it's gone now.

Honorable mention to KC's, Gills in Cobh and to a much lesser extent Lennox's and Dinos

Golden Fry has gone to pot, it was woeful last time I was there.

KC's in Douglas is pretty class, as is the chipper in Cobh run by the Italians (couldn't tell you the name, it's on the square thing across from where Titanic bar was... )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

dulpit wrote: »
    Golden Fry has gone to pot, it was woeful last time I was there.

KC's in Douglas is pretty class, as is the chipper in Cobh run by the Italians (couldn't tell you the name, it's on the square thing across from where Titanic bar was... )

+1 on Golden Fry. I got a portion of chips last week and it was literally just over a handfull.

I disagree with you on KC's. KC's used to be one of the best chippers in Cork. But once again their portions have become tiny. A Creole used to fill me up completely. it was a meal in itself. Now you would need a portion of chips with it or something in order for it to substantially fill you.

IMO one of the most under rated chipper in Cork is Dinos in the back douglas village. Their chips are amazing and the 2 king Dino meals for €10 is a sweet deal. Portions are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

dulpit wrote: »
    the chipper in Cobh run by the Italians (couldn't tell you the name, it's on the square thing across from where Titanic bar was... )

That would be Mimos.

Awful chips!

Sorry to hear that about Golden Fry. I went to go to school around the corner and used to get chips on a friday for 30p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 severely

I gave up cooking for myself after I discovered KC's out in Douglas last year. Their new flying fish pitta is astounding food. I've tried the Golden Fry in Ballinlough a few times and it was very disappointing after it had been hyped up too much. The best fish and chips that is also consistent is Dino's in Kinsale. Almost worth the drive down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,427 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

[QUOTE=Hogzy;74397863IMO one of the most under rated chipper in Cork is Dinos in the back douglas village. Their chips are amazing and the 2 king Dino meals for €10 is a sweet deal. Portions are huge[/QUOTE]

I would agree 100%. Dinos are the best and unlike under chippers you get a good sized portion and their breast in a bun is to die for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

antlyn wrote: »
    Chish N Fips in Crosshaven = EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second that...had battered monkfish and chips there a while ago for €8....AMAZING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

Agree with the lennoxs, dinos, and the usual haunts...but dont forget hillbillys. Best breast in a bun I have ever had. Pricy but well worth after coming back from a night out on a saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,134 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Papa Martinos in Macroom (it is near the bus depot/Lidl and Dunnes Stores) and also Zico Pizza and Takeaway by St. Finbarr's Hospital in Cork City

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Satts wrote: »
    Main Street. in Midleton, Opposite the Library/Post Office. Greenish front. Odd opening hours, usually posted up.

Lunchtime and 7-11pm. I think. Gone downhil the last few years, IMO. I go to Boston Chipper around the corner. Breast in a bun or Boston burger absolutely gorgeous. Majority of the time the chips are excellent. Fish can be fairly small though.

Best in the city was John Grace's, but I haven't been there in a couple of years now. Smokey Brest in a bun, with garlic Jo-jos......oh, Dear God......:P

Jumbos chinese by the Lough was fantastic a long, long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

Leslies Diner, Skibbereen.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

jonopat wrote: »
    Leslies Diner, Skibbereen.

Leslies is great! Their all day breakfast would feed a family :p

Longs Fish & Chips in Skibb is a great chipper as well. Their fish and chips for a fiver is a great deal! The chicken fillet and blackpudding burger is worth a go too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

whiterebel wrote: »
    Lunchtime and 7-11pm. I think. Gone downhil the last few years, IMO. I go to Boston Chipper around the corner. Breast in a bun or Boston burger absolutely gorgeous. Majority of the time the chips are excellent. Fish can be fairly small though.

Best in the city was John Grace's, but I haven't been there in a couple of years now. Smokey Brest in a bun, with garlic Jo-jos......oh, Dear God......:P

Jumbos chinese by the Lough was fantastic a long, long time ago.

Boston Chipper I find is one of the worst ones in Midleton. Incredibly slow service and chips aren't anything to write home about. La Trattoria is worth it just for their giant (and I mean giant) battered sausages.

Advertisement